usage of commas

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 01:43 am
I saw the following sentence today:
Auther has made Max realize that he isn't as good of a person as he had thought, that he still has much to learn.

Is this sentence grammatically correct? Do not we need to put a comma before the second "that"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 352 • Replies: 5
No top replies

centrox

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 11:55 am
This is not good English: "as good of a person". The comma before the second 'that' is required.

glen74

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 06:05 pm
@pirlo2018,
I would rather write the sentence as such;
'Auther has made Max realize that he is not as good a person as he had thought, he still has much to learn.'
The word 'of' imho opinion does not seem to belong, as it belongs to something else ie: a part of something.
'that' is another wasted word, no need for it. The sentence makes perfect sense without it.
They could also be two different sentences.
'Auther has made Max realize that he is not as good a person as he had thought. He still has much to learn.'
nevermind the 'as good as a person' which is just plain bad english and should probably be written :
'Auther has made Max realize that he is not the good person he had thought he was, he still has much to learn.'
pirlo2018

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 07:23 pm
@centrox,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I wonder if it is better to put an "and" before the second "that"?
0 Replies

pirlo2018

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 07:26 pm
@glen74,
Thx for your answer. In your "Auther has made Max realize that he is not as good a person as he had thought, he still has much to learn." Is it Ok to link the two independent setences with a comma?
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:59 am
@pirlo2018,
Why not just make it a simple compound sentence ? Use "and" to link the two separate thoughts.
0 Replies