I don't "get" art?

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 03:27 am
I'll go "oh! That's pretty!" But I just don't feel the emotions or get what the artist is trying to show.

I'm not stupid though. Idk why I don't "get" art.

Anyone else like this/how can I "get" art?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 805 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:35 am
@demilovato,
Some art pieces leave me with no feelings, others generate some, sometimes good, sometimes bad, some art gets me really happy. Rarely try to figure what the artist was attempting to say or show, I learn that, after I have been tantalized or bored by the item.

You don't have to like everything out there in the art world, maybe someday you will see a painting which you relate to.

Don't feel you have to "get" something just because others do (often times they don't get it either and are just trying to impress).

More than 30 years ago I saw a piece of canvas in a museum, with cat food cans attached. To this day I don't know what that was supposed to mean or why the Guggenheim thought it deserved to be on their wall.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:39 am
@demilovato,
Do you get feelings from music, or poetry?

I am far more likely to be moved by a great lyric or a beautiful melody than any visual art.
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 06:11 pm
@maxdancona,
what's to "get""??
maxdancona

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 06:49 pm
@farmerman,
... "feelings from music or poetry". It is pretty clear to me.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 06:49 pm
Art varies. Some has been boring to me, and a friend told me more re what was happening - that would have been some shows in the seventies. I liked getting to understand, but dismissed fairly often (what did I know?).

When did I get interested in it? Probably from Sr. Mary Rita showing some photos when I was in fourth grade. She's the one who got me interested in places and what was in those places, the beauty. But before her, there was some sloppy painting by me in kindergarten, and some boring stuff re different colors of art paper plus clumsy scissors, which I think I hated.

At about eighteen, I had a 1 unit class in art appreciation, and liked it.
Maybe just after that, I started doodling. I had a young male admirer back then, and he was good - he drew me a big page with me as washerwoman. I'm so sorry I didn't save it; eventually tossed it. Years later, he worked at Disney.. (we both worked part time at a hospital).

In my twenties, I took 30 courses in art at night school.. Not 30 classes, but courses.

I'm attracted, long time, to Renaissance art, but a lot else.

Meantime, hey, consider Donatello...
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 07:39 pm
Let's see if the poster with the borrowed name will bother to look up Donatello.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:14 am
@ossobucotemp,
How bout Caravaggio? That dude produced some stories on canvas. One of the reasons I NEVER jumped on the "lets bad mouth Norman Rockwell so we look avante garde ,train" Is because Rockwell was a real good artist and visual story teller that even the most obtuse observer could read , often with humor or deep emotion.
Art can rouse many emotions or just become studies in pattern or method. As JL Nobody used to say,"the art is often unconscious, the messages dont go beyond that" (or something like that).
He celebrates the act of painting itself. Some of his work Id seen makes ya think. I always loved the one that shows a hot desert sky nd a sun ball seen through the slats of an Adirondack Chair.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 10:00 am
@farmerman,
Me - Caravaggio is my favorite painter, bar none. Diebenkorn was right up there too.
I don't remember actually disliking Rockwell, but whatever I thought has gotten fuzzy by now. I'm sure I at least somewhat enjoyed many of his.
0 Replies

demilovato

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 01:19 am
@Sturgis,
Oh,I know everyone has own views about art and someone like me really have no idea. But I figure out it’s nothing when I don't get it, and thanks.
roger

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 01:25 am
@demilovato,
Same with me for most poetry.
demilovato

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 01:30 am
@maxdancona,
Yes, I love music. Sometime I am also moved by it.
0 Replies

demilovato

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 01:58 am
@roger,
Lol, maybe we also lack artistic sense...
0 Replies