what's the difference between a CC and BCC in emails?

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 09:38 pm
A. No difference
B. CC can see who is on BCC list
C. BCC can see who is on CC list
D. BCC recipients see only their email address

Apparently the correct/best answer is D?

Would you please explain the reason why this is the best answer to me? I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around it.

This is one of the practice questions for an exam I'll be taking soon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,678 • Replies: 22

layman

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 09:52 pm
@perennialloner,
Back in the days before photocopy machines were invented, duplicate copies were made by inserting a piece of carbon paper between the first and second (or maybe more) pages put into the typewriter. Whatever showed on the first page would (if you hit the keys hard enough) show on the second page.

So, CC was short for "carbon copy." I guess it is still used that way now, despite vast technological advances.

If I'm the author of a letter to you, and want you to know that I'm also sending it to another person, I will put "cc: John Jones," at the end of the letter. If I don't care to let you know about it, I won't put that. But on the copy I send to Jones I will put the letters "bcc" for "blind carbon copy," meaning "he doesn't know I sent you this copy."

That's my understanding, but it may be completely obsolete now.
perennialloner

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:24 pm
@layman,
Well, I dont know about all that but when I bcc someone in an email ive sent, that person can see the cc list, not just their email address. And if that's true, isnt d a false statement, and if its a false statement, how can it be a difference between cc and bcc?
Kolyo

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

C. BCC can see who is on CC list

This is my experience.

If someone BCC's me, I can't see my own email address, but I can see everyone who got CC'd in the normal way.

In summary:
CC can see the CC list, but not the BCC list.
BCC can see the CC list, but not the BCC list.

The difference between being a CC and being a BCC lies not in whom you can see, but in who can see you.
If you're a CC, everyone can see you.
If you're a BCC, no one can.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:37 pm
@perennialloner,
The person receiving the email is not notified of other copies being received by others if you chose bcc. If you use cc, the recipient is aware of everyone receiving the copies.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:45 pm
@perennialloner,
WTFGTFAFW
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_carbon_copy
layman

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:51 pm
@ekename,
Ya shoulda just tried wiki first, eh, Perry?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:58 pm
This is overcomplicated. From the days of typewritten letters and memoranda up to the present day, BCC means others do not see that that copy has been sent.

MEMORANDUM

To: Perennialwhatever

Subject: Clerical Abbreviations

Perennial, you big goofball.

CC: Jespah, eBeth

BCC: Kolyo

Only Kolyo sees the BCC entry, no one else does. The correct answer to your question is "C." It is not a complete answer, but it is the only correct answer on that list.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 11:21 pm
CC means carbon copy (no one uses carbon paper anymore) all recipients see all the other recipients

BBC means Blind carbon copy (still don't use carbon paper) means there is an additional recipient that the CC'd recipients don't know about.
perennialloner

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 11:22 pm
@Setanta,
You dont have to be mean. I genuinely didnt get it. You meant D, right? The way it was worded confused me.

EDIT: No, I think you did mean C? Which is the answer I put down and got wrong.

But now I think I see why it's D from somehow misunderstanding your response.

Bcc are the only recipients who are able to see 'their' email address?

To kolyo who may be confused, still thinking the answer is C.

Maybe it's not a difference between them because cc can also see the cc list. Essentially while bcc can see the cc list so can cc.

Maybe im off base.

To anyone who's insulting, why? Im honestly asking a question. Its okay to make mistakes or even be dumb. Wth.
Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 11:39 pm
@perennialloner,
I wasn't being "mean." I'll tell ya what, Sport, I promise never to answer any of your questions again.
perennialloner

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 11:42 pm
@Setanta,
Snarky?

How is it not mean to attach whatever to someone's name and then call them a big goofball?

layman

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:31 am
@perennialloner,
You're being oversensitive here, Perry. Of course that's often the case with females. No "mean" attack was intended. It was just a joke.
perennialloner

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 06:18 am
@layman,
Probably so, but I was the butt of a joke that didn't serve any purpose other than to suggest I'm an idiot? I was asking why the answer choice was D. He explained why it was C.

Unless the answer key is wrong, the answers D.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 06:50 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
(no one uses carbon paper anymore)

Not true. Other than using it myself, many spots still sell carbon paper. Nothing will ever fully replace this relic... Confused I mean the paper not me! Sad
Sturgis

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 06:58 am
@layman,
Quote:
...oversensitive here...
...that's often the case with females

I'd call you a chauvinistic slug, but, I don't go for comparing and thus by insulting slugs with those of your antiquated ilk.
roger

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 02:50 pm
@Sturgis,
Close enough.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 03:12 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

Unless the answer key is wrong, the answers D.

Well, there ya go, then. Who says some damn "answer key" is always right, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 03:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Call it whatever ya want, Sturgy, but you should at least call it what it is:

True.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 03:38 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
(no one uses carbon paper anymore)

Not true. Other than using it myself, many spots still sell carbon paper. Nothing will ever fully replace this relic... Confused I mean the paper not me! Sad

You're correct. I had forgotten about businesses that come to your home, like plumbers, and they use something like carbon paper to record the bill and payment (copy for business, slightly faded copy for customer). I still don't think we ever had 'BCC's' on carbon paper????? Could have been....I don't remember I guess. But it seems that first I remember seeing the abbreviation BCC.. was on a new (for the time) email program for our work computers. You need to remember that I was DOD and because of the lowest bid way of buying equipment, we always got the crappy stuff that was always breaking down. After 9/11 the govt finally invested in much better equipment. To be fair, even the cheapest stuff is probably miles ahead of the crap that was available in the 90's (on the lowest bid system).

(((PS. That's not meant to be insulting to anyone, that was just my experience)))