Is there a more appropriate way to interpret this Maternal Mortality Rate data? Ratio or percentage?

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 08:04 am
My fiancee and I are discussing maternal mortality rates in the US. According to the data, from a May 2017 NPR article, 26.4 out of every 100,000 women die during child birth in the US.

My fiancee wanted to put this into percentage, which is .000264%. He is claiming that using a percentage is more appropriate for this matter and that saying 26.4 out of 100,000 is being used because it sounds like a bigger number and is more dramatic. He is claiming that looking at it as a percentage is more effective, I am claiming that it can be looked at that way, but it seems easier to interpret more appropriate to look at it the first way.

Why is it that NPR chose to show it as 26.4 out of 100,000 instead of .000264? Is it more appropriate to show the statistic one way or the other or can they be looked at the same? Let me know if you have any questions.. we are not very math savvy and the conversation is getting heated, it would be nice to understand why statistics are shown certain ways. For instance sometimes a pie chart makes more sense than putting data into a bar graph. So why would one look at it as a percentage rather than a ratio?

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/12/528098789/u-s-has-the-worst-rate-of-maternal-deaths-in-the-developed-world.

P.S. The US maternal mortality rates look scary to me as a woman, makes me not want to have a kid. My fiancee is trying to say that I shouldn't be that worried. Sorry if I suck at asking the question, statistic questions are hard for me to word.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 655 • Replies: 4
No top replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 08:44 am
@Raggedyanneski,
I think it was presented that way because it's easier to visualize. 26.4 out of 100,000 is easier to understand than .000264%. Either way is appropriate and means the same thing, just one is clearer than the other.
Don't let the statistic worry you. Maybe look further into it and find out why those women died. Maybe they had certain conditions, or maybe it was their age, or complications during pregnancy, etc.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 08:48 am
It is customary to use rates per 100,000 population for deaths and rates per 1,000 population for live births. Percentages, especially very small percentages less than 1% are hard for many people to understand quickly.

This article may shed some light

https://www.stats.indiana.edu/vitals/CalculatingARate.pdf

0 Replies

LADave

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 05:53 pm
@Raggedyanneski,
I'm currently working with homicide and firearm mortality rates. They are almost always presented in per 100,000 terms.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:03 pm
@Raggedyanneski,
He is right and wrong. It is true that using per 100 results in smaller numbers, fractions of a person even! But there is no specific unfairness about stating things either way. On one hand you are selecting to measure for every 100 people and end up with fractions of people. By comparing every 1000 (the standard way mortality rate is expressed, for example) you get easier numbers to understand because tiny fractions of people don't make sense. If mortality rates change you don't get a tiny fraction of a dead person. You have X amount per 1000 people in your population which is easier to comprehend and extrapolate to the real world.

But as an individual afraid of maternal mortality rate if the percentage reduces your anxiety there is nothing wrong with thinking of it that way, it is just as accurate and more accurately represents a number of risk for you as an individual, because you aren't going to have 1000, or 100,000 kids (most likely).
0 Replies