First song played on Radio1

McTag

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:46 am
Don't forget, Walter will be in town on Friday.
We were at the Christmas Market on Saturday: very good, if you bring plenty of money, you can eat & drink yourself silly. I liked it a lot.

I forgot to say, Sarah, I used to work in the Town Hall but I work in Warrington now.

Right, back to pop: did you see Howard Goodall on the TV at the weekend talking about Lennon & McCartney songs, and the Elton John tribute on Sunday? Good progs both, I thought, if you can stand the showbiz schmalz.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
I WAS AT XMAS MARKET ON SATURDAY! I also used to work in the Town Hall (Treasurers). Yes I did see the Howard Goodall prog on Saturday...and Elton....it wouldn't be Elton without the shmalz! Thought the prog on Lennon and McCartney was fantastic, I didn't know anything about cadenzas??? It was so interestesting though, esp. that bit about the ending of Eleanor Rigby (Hymns) and about the eastern influence on Jealous Guy, also how their music progressed and became more complicated as they grew in confidence and competance. Who's on the next one? Such talent eh, always had a softer spot for Lennon though, he was always much less establishment than McCartney. How do you feel about McCartney now? I see he got in on the new recording of Band Aid (where was he for the first, I don't remember him at all?). I have new respect for the Quo nowadays, not least for their longevity! I still love Pictures of Matchstick Men. My brother calls them Inflatus Blow! Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:36 pm
Xmas Market- you can't beat the roast pork sandwiches with apple sauce. I had one last year- not this year because I had bacon & egg on toast, with coffee, in Cafe Uno across the road before we went into the Market. But I do like overeating, it's a favourite hobby.
Yes, the plagal or "amen" cadence (IV-I) very unusual in pop music according to Mr Goodall but do we really need to know that?
I can think of one in Cliff Richard's "Don't Talk To Him" tho' it's not at the end. So maybe it's not all that uncommon.
John Lennon? I never liked him much on his own, and indeed I think that Lennon & McCartney together were much better than each separately. But I've got to concede that Mr Mac is some kind of genius. He is a great communicator, and very fluent in the language of music.
I've seen the Bootleg Beatles twice and they are so good. I like live music and a good tribute band can be very good indeed. I like the early Beatles songs, and they do them wonderfully well.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:14 pm
Who's mr. goodall and is there a quote?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 01:34 am
panzade wrote:
Who's mr. goodall and is there a quote?

It was from a TV programme he has made, the first one of a series, here:

http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/0-9/20thcenturygreats/lennon.html
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:26 am
I watched the tape of that Beatles programme again last night- amazingly good. Howard G was very fulsome in his praise of Beatle innovation. He is a trained musician and he approached it from the viewpoint of theoretical analysis, but far from being dry it was very interesting.

Now then Sarah, unless you log in soon, you will miss your chance of meeting the wonderful Walter and being bought a half of lager in Sam's Chop House tomorrow lunchtime.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:23 pm
McTag wrote:
I watched the tape of that Beatles programme again last night- amazingly good. Howard G was very fulsome in his praise of Beatle innovation. He is a trained musician and he approached it from the viewpoint of theoretical analysis, but far from being dry it was very interesting.

Now then Sarah, unless you log in soon, you will miss your chance of meeting the wonderful Walter and being bought a half of lager in Sam's Chop House tomorrow lunchtime.
I will be in Lpool (Prescot) is Walter in Mancunia all weekend?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:26 pm
Yeap.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
(Well, at least in "Greater M" :wink: , in Manchester definately tomorrow from ... 9:30 or so onwards)
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:07 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(Well, at least in "Greater M" :wink: , in Manchester definately tomorrow from ... 9:30 or so onwards)
If you PM me..........I can reply with my email address. I can't PM as yet.

I've been putting the xmas tree up and I've come over all festive. We had an email at working saying that we were to refer to xmas as 'Religious Festival' so as not to offend our 'religiously diverse' workforce..... I don't want to offend anybody (peace and love, that's what I say) so I've been busy at work re-writing festive songs....

Last religious festival...I gave you my heart
It'll be lonley this religious festival
merry religious festival everybody
rockin' around the religious festival tree
etc
Is it me....................?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:38 pm
I've pm'ed you - and will go to bed soon (must get up quite early to get the plane :wink: ).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 02:13 am
Bama lama ring ting tong
I'm related to old King Kong

-This is a selected quotation from the song entitled "I Go Ape (every time I see you smile)"
and this is the song I have chosen to sing this morning.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 06:40 am
This morning I have chosen to sing:

Our house
is a very, very, very fine house
with two cats in the yard
life used to be so hard
now everything is easy
'cos of you :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 07:18 am
Toast and marmalade for tea...
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
McTag, Don't forget it's Cole Porter tonight! :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:31 pm
Thanks, Sarah, and already taken care of....I've set the machine to record, because me and the missus are off out with Walter, our house guest, for a spot of nosh.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:33 pm
Have a great time, give my best regards to Walter! Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
Thank you, I did that. We had a good time too, if only for a very brief visit.

Now, I go to bed quite early because I've got to get up at 5 a.m. for the trip to the airport tomorrow!

Gulp. Set that alarm loud, boy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:52 am
The alarm worked, the trip to airport was as fine as was the flight.

And the weekend was a marvellous short holiday.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
Walter, McTag,

Glad your back chaps! Where did you eat? Did you go to the German Market? Museums?

Thought you would be too busy this weekend so I took the time to peruse the Guardian (Saturdays) for what's on offer (music-wise) this week, I recommend: (on radio for Walter)

Tutti Frutti: A celebration of the 'cultural significance' of Little Richard's first rendition of the song. Tues 1.30p.m. (GMT) Radio 4.

'night! :wink:
0 Replies