First song played on Radio1

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:21 pm
I'm in pretty deep...just guessing on the Madonna thing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:25 pm
I think it was "I'm in trouble deep"

...how anyone got purpadeep out of that, I don't know.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:42 pm
I believe the word is purdapeep.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:44 pm
Ah, yes, you are correct, McTag. And purdapeep makes even less sense! Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:55 pm
but it's so damn cute...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:58 pm
Gotta tell you a quick lyrics story.Back in the 70's there was a pretty famous Japenese mandolin player that came to the states...a wizard on Bluegrass and particularly Bill Monroe tunes. Didn't know a word of English. But when he started singing:
"Brew Moon Kentaki keep a shinin" it blew my mind. The kid could sing English but didn't know the language.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:02 pm
Tom Stoppard is a very clever fellow. Respect.

More pop!

Back there a few posts ago, someone was talking about early British rhythm 'n' blues, I think, Alexis Korner was mentioned. Anyone else like Peter Green? Early Eric Clapton?

Anyone seen the Incredible Alex Harvey Band? AH was a wonderful performer, in the Ian Dury sense.
The Blockheads, they were good too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:08 pm
Think that was me McTag. Back in '69 I was hanging around Guilford chasing a bird and got to meet some members of Colosseum and Family.
Also enjoyed some concerts at the Roundhouse in London.
Peter Green was a monster blues player but he disappeared in a maharishi haze.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:24 pm
Yeah, he ruined his brain, apparently. A genius guitar player. Greenbaum, his real name was.

Which makes me think of Stefan Grossman. "Ragtime Cowboy Jew", that was the title of an album of his. Another fine player, different style.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:01 pm
Yeah, I've got all his instruction books and records. I learned a lot of finger picking from him.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:05 pm
Him and Roy Bookbinder...obscure, but brilliant.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:17 am
Hey where's Sarah gone?
What about my Bridge Street Q?
I can also discuss pop post-1975, when pressed. Smile
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 03:40 am
Is there a connection between Bookbinder and Susan Bookbinder.......Elke Brooks (vinegar Joe) or Greenbaum and Norman Greenbaum (Spirit in the Sky)?

Still here boys, just enjoying your posts, but feel I can't contribute fully, through lack of knowledge.....I do, however, recognise and know the names a 'little' maybe I'm on the 'cusp' age wise Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:05 am
So, do you work in Bridge Street or not?

I think that these two Bookbinders, likewise these two Greenbaums, were respectively from GB and USA, if you see what I mean.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 09:42 am
Hey!, when you have a moment to answer a "do you remember"....the band Family...I was really keen on them.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 10:03 am
Yes, I work on Bridge street....just off.......Browncross. The faux pas regarding the Greenbaum/Bookbinder thing, just shows my ignorance! I wouldn't agree about only good music is pre-1975...but I am a huge sixties fan. Mr Sarah recently had two 2 songs played on Brian Mathews and is now the proud owner of a sound of the sixties sweatshirt! Do you listen? Since getting this thing that looks like a telly with no remote control...I've started to enjoy radio more than the telly. Recently enjoyed programmes on the early record producers, the Tony Visconti one was my favourite. Did you know he was married to Mary Hopkin (still is). Those were the days eh? :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm
Hey no faux pas at all....very obscure subject, and my answer not guaranteed correct anyway.

I hear a little of the Brian Matthews Saturday show sometimes, but am not an avid listener.
I like early Merseybeat stuff- not The Merseybeats exactly, but you know what I mean.

I have never heard of a street called Browncross in Manchester, and I thought I knew most of them.
Still, Walter will be in town next Friday, and I believe he has already offered to buy you a half of Sam Smiths (with plastic umbrella) in Sam's Chop House.

Mary Hopkin good; what do you think of this new Jenkins girl? The new Charlotte Church, I mean.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:21 pm
Do you know where the Inland Revenue is? Just a bit further down. I'm fond of early mersey beat, being a scouser. I also think that Gerry Marsden is an underrated writer....Don't let the sun catch you crying....one of my favourites!

I'm listening to Manfred Mann's 'come tomorrow' as I type (on napster)

Then I will listen to:

All I really wanna do....The Byrds

sarah.......Boz Scaggs

September in the rain..........Dinah Washington

Raindrops...................Dee Clark

Sun Ain't gonna................Walker Brothers

Here it comes again...............The Fortunes

Whole of the Moon............The Waterboys

Anyway that you want me.............Troggs

Like any of 'em?

Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
Right, I'm off out to the pub.

I like "Here it Comes Again" and all sorts of harmony groups stuff; Four Seasons "Rag Doll" and all that kind of stuff.
I like The Byrds too- and "Mr Tambourine Man" was a big landmark record for me.

How do I operate Napster?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 02:41 pm
Right, I'm off to bed!

Mr Sarah pays a subscription (me thinks £9.99 month)

I love it - downloaded loads......no Beatles though!

Just have a browse on their site...I'm sure they have a free trial

'night. X
0 Replies