First song played on Radio1

smorgs

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 03:47 pm
Calling all Brits!

(or anyone else 'in the know')

Spent the entire evening arguing with my partner as to what was the first song played on Radio 1:

I reckon it's The Move's 'Hole in my Shoe'

He reckons it's The Move's 'Backberry Way'

Help.......I've got a fiver on it?

Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,135 • Replies: 112
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 03:49 pm
'Hole in my Shoe'. Even if you are wrong, you're the woman and if he knows what's good for him, he'll shut up and give you the fiver.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:04 pm
Soz.......I meant Traffic
Thanks cavfancier, of course I meant Traffic's Hole in my Shoe.....and I pissed myself laughing when I realised I'd posted 'Fist' song played on Radio 1 instead of first.......I'm just tired, oh and maybe a little bit......... :wink:
0 Replies

carditel

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:11 pm
It was played by Tony Blackburn and it was "Flowers in the rain" by "The Move"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:12 pm
Re: Soz.......I meant Traffic
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Thanks cavfancier, of course I meant Traffic's Hole in my Shoe.....and I pissed myself laughing when I realised I'd posted 'Fist' song played on Radio 1 instead of first.......I'm just tired, oh and maybe a little bit......... :wink:

I am too much the gentleman to mention such trivialities. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:20 pm
No fiver for me
Thanks carditel, no fiver for me, I'd fritter it away anyway, or go to Sifters and see what's on offer!

Bet no one know's (or cares) what the second song was?!?

Still Mad for it!

Manc. Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:43 am
All I know is that all I heard that year was the Move ...and I hated that band...lol
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
The Move
Yeah, Panzade, they were awful, did you know that Carl Wayne (lead singer in early Move) died last week? Only 54.......RIP Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 05:56 pm
No!...I always thought Roy Wood was the singer.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:01 am
Carl Wayne v Roy Wood
Panzade, soz to go on about a group you didn't like.........Carl Wayne sang on earlier Move tracks, then later it was Roy Wood (though it was always his band) I'd tell you more, but partner has got 'Roy Woods the Move' CD in the car 'cos he is mad for them.....your probably not interested anyway. At the moment, I am into Bobby Darin's greatest in preparation for going to see Beyond the Sea with Kevin Spacey as Bobby next week. Have you seen it? Was it popular there?

Somewhere.......beyond the sea. Oh no, not another Ear Worm!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:10 am
I'm interested in all things music as you will come to see. And I have a thing for all things UK having got my A levels there.

The Move were part of a dreary bunch of bands on the radio while I was going to see concerts like: The New Yardbirds with Jimmy Page(Led Z), Stone The Crows with Maggie Bell, Chicken Shack with Christine McVee(Perfect), Love Sculpture with Dave Edmunds.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
If music be the food of love........
God you've taken me back panzade. I remember when my uncle was a bouncer at The Free Trade Hall in Manchester (ancient concert venue....now a hotel and nightclub) I used to have to escourt my younger brother to heavy metal concerts.....so I've seen Saxon, UFO, Marrillion and various others (they all seem to merge into one big Spinal Tap thing). I also remember going to see The Police, before they were famous, they used to wear faux american police uniforms (ah, from such humble beginnings, Sting has managed to save the world). Also saw Blondie, ABBA and Queen at Maine Road (football stadium). Went to see David Essex as well, he told me and my mate to F**k Off when asked for his autograph at the stage door.....put me off him forever, never thought he was up to much anyway...but we saw him for free. Best ever concert? The Smiths.....I saw Morrisey in Waterstones (bookshop) last month, he looked very enigmatic, dressed in black sporting silver 'tips' on his shirt and a silver skull ring. Too shy to ask for autograph though, he had an air of 'don't approach' about him. Shame wbout Marc Almond though......did you hear? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:16 pm
Sarah - I hadn't heard about Marc Almond -what? AIDS?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:37 pm
Marc Almond
No, not AIDS. He was riding pillion in the centre of London when their motorbike collided with another vehicle. He was reported at the time to be 'fighting for his life' having sustained severe head injuries. There's been little else in the press, but on his website, his family have asked for prayers. Went to his book signing in Manchester last year, the flyer said come and meet 'tortured pop genius Marc Almond'. He was tiny in real life, but very pleasant. He will be missed.......... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:48 pm
From the first three songs played on Radio 1 first, I don't like one, but The Move's "Flowers in the rain" are better than the followers ( next was 'Excerpt From A Teenage Opera' by Keith West, then 'Reflections' by Diana Ross).

Tony Blackburn's father (Tomy was the DJ of the first show) used to be my "family doctor", btw, when I was staying in England Laughing

Anyone else remembering nostalgically this or that station? :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:02 am
Grocer Jack
Thanks Walter, I'd forgotten all about excert from a teenage opera - did he ever write the rest?

grocer jack, grocer jack is it true what mummy said, you won't come back, oh no, no Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:18 am
No idea, Sarah, about the writing of the rest.
(However, I could perhaps find it out and tell it personally when I'm in MAN in a fortnight's time Laughing )
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:14 am
Oh, Walter!
Oh, Walter, Walter, take me to the alter.....bet you never heard that one before :wink: Watcha doing in Mancy Land? :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:32 am
Re: Oh, Walter!
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Oh, Walter, Walter, take me to the alter.....bet you never heard that one before :wink:

You are correct ... but only, because only it's "lead me to the altar" :wink:

So, you are going to the workhouse now? (The National Museum of Labour History would do, I suppose :wink: )

Sarah Morgan wrote:
Watcha doing in Mancy Land? :wink:

They started regular flights from our local airport to Manchester this month.
So I'm just visiting some (A2K and other) friends there over the weekend ...

(You could join me for lunch in e.g Mr. Thomas' Chop House on Friday :wink: )
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
Walter's on his way
Walter, do you know me? I really do work opposite 'the workhouse' (me...Civil Servant......you?) In the summer I lunch on a bench right outside the workhouse (under the trees...and pretend I'm in the lakes)

Sorry about the lyrics, but it is a tad before my time.

Also, I lunch right next door to 'the chop' at 'simple in the city'

My Mum had a rescued pigeon once........called Walter! Laughing
0 Replies