COOL: "Google Scholar" is Born

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
With Google Scholar you can, via a single search location, access content from "scholarly" materials found on the OPEN WEB that they've found in the Google crawl of the web.

Without advertising - at least for now!
It's a citation database as well: for many citations, you'll find a direct link to other articles in the Google Scholar database that cite the article you've selected.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,679 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:53 pm
Owmygawd, Walter. I am in "hog heaven". Thank you so much for that link! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
Straight to favourites.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:40 pm
Wow! I added it to favourites and e-mailed the link to my kids. They're both in university. They'll love it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:43 pm
Interesting. Although, why are there only seven results for "Naughty cheerleaders"? How will I ever complete my thesis?
0 Replies

katealaurel

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:57 pm
This would have been so useful last year when writing my paper on "Speleogenesis: Theories of Cave Formation".. I got so sick of the little "This article is denied to non-members!" mesages.

*sigh* Well, I still have to write on the Dutch tulip crisis by December..

-Kate
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:11 pm
Thanks, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:59 am
I first (critical) review by the librarian and respected online research trainer, Rita Vine. (Rita is the founder of Toronto-based "Search Portfolio".)

Quote:
A first look at Google Scholar Beta
Today's launch of the new Google Scholar beta site led me to spend an hour testing the site for quality and quantity of information.

Google Scholar uses a special algorithm (unknown to us, and probably a state secret) to calculate the "scholarliness" or seriousness of a particular hit in the Google database. The idea is to create a subset of the enormous Google database in order to satisfy less consumer-focused searches.

First some background. It's important to remember that over the last year or so, Google has been working feverishly to add a variety of invisible web content into its databases, including library catalogue records, invisible web databases like PubMed, and full-text books as part of its strange-bedfellow partnership with Amazon.com through A9.com. This previously unindexed content is likely the source of many of the 3 billion pages that Google added to its index last week. Several of us in the search assessment world have been griping lately about the fact that most of this content would never be found in a typical Google search. (See my article Just because it's indexed doesn't mean you'll find it for a little background.) This beta rollout of Google Scholar directly addresses that criticism.

In my first glance at Google Scholar, I see that although much of this newly indexed content is delivered through this site, much of it leads only to citations or licensed databases of full text content that can't be accessed for free.

For example, a search of "human resources" benchmarking turned up approximately 4700 results today (versus 383,000 in the same search in straight-up Google). However, many of those results are delivered as links to full text articles or books from popular commercial publishers and aggregators like Wiley, Ingenta, and Blackwell, with relatively few of those available for free.

I also tested a medical search, for the keywords sumatriptan migraine in Google Scholar. As I had hoped for and expected, most of the initial results came from the PubMed database content that Google has been indexing for the last year or so, and the PubMed result comes up on click. However, this should not be taken as a recommendation to search PubMed through Google Scholar rather than directly through PubMed, which offers an updated database and better interface options than Google or Google Scholar.

At this stage of Google Scholar, there are MANY results that users simply won't be able to access without paying themselves for the article, or finding an enterprise partner (like their school or college library) that owns the journal. That will likely create a level of frustration among users. One easy way for Google Scholar to solve the problem would be to model Findarticles.com, which enables users to check a box and omit all but free articles. (This would certainly lead to lower revenue and some pouty publishers, so don't bet it will happen.)

The one truly fabulous feature of Google Scholar (which really WILL help serious searchers and academics, rather than just confuse them) is the "cited by X" feature of the database. If Google has a link to another document in its database which has cited the article that comes up in the hit list, it will produce a link labelled "Cited by [#]" where # is the number of cached documents which cite the document. You can click on this link to bring up a page of the cited references. This isn't just cool, it may actually be useful to researchers interested in expanding their range of citation searching options, and also could be used in determining relevancy.

There's no advertising on Google Scholar -- at least for now. It's kind of a moot point anyhow. Although Danny Sullivan reported in today's Search Engine Watch that Google claims that is not earning any revenue from new subscriptions between searchers and publishers, my guess is that Google may have enticed publishers into making their content available on Google with the promise of some sort of revenue sharing or micropayments of some sort, and as a result Google will likely see enough revenue to make this return on investment a viable business option.

The presence of Google Scholar presents a really interesting problem to libraries around the globe. Libraries have been working furiously to make their licensed content accessible through federated searching INSIDE their library web sites, and it's been pretty easy to make users understand that the only way to access licensed content would be by entering the library's portal site.

Google Scholar has the potential to turn that model on its head. Students will begin to access links to journal and book content directly through Google Scholar, and depending which IP they are coming from, may or may not be able to access the full text content directly on click. Talk about confusion. In a typical scenario, when accessing Google Scholar from inside a campus IP which is connected to, say, Ingenta.com, students might have access to a full text journal link. But from OUTSIDE the IP, the same link will produce a "please buy me" result. Yikes.

source: SiteLines weblog
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 12:41 pm
Wow that's a beauty Walter! Thanks, eh!
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:47 pm
Tee-hee, my thesis is listed!

But I'm not cited by anyone Sad

~~~

I still prefer my local public library's databases; they have links to more full text.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
Well, certainly that's to prefer - if you have such available.

Meanwhile, there's the firstweblog on Google Scholar online.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
cool
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:06 pm
I was not overly impressed, in my opinion it needs work. It pulls up either too much, or too little or in some cases nothing at all. It can be frustrating in quirky ways. I entered my name and got not only mine but one of my sisters and a brother's publications and citations as well. We are all in seperate disciplins.
It also seems to by heavily biased in favor of the biological sciences at the moment. As a result, if you have two authors with similar names, one in biology the other in my field anthropology you can end up sorting through literally thousands of listings in one field looking for the single listing in the other.
The data base is also incomplete for disciplines that do not have high visibility or are not economically "hot" at the moment. Thus there is a lot in fields like cultural anthropology and archaeology that is missing although that may improve with time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:56 pm
Interesting:

Side - by - Side Native Search Engines vs Google Scholar
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:30 pm
This is definitely useful... THank you...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:43 am
There's now the new

Google Scholar's New Advanced Search Interface

online. You can limit your search by:
+ Publication (No syntax available)
+ Date Range (No syntax available)
+ Words in the Title
+ Author
+ View up to 100 results per search
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:25 am
http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/technovel_google
Hi Walter:

Found this while doing some exploring and wondered if it's the site you found renamed.

Encyclopedia Googlactica: Google Puts All Human Knowledge Online
By Bill Christensen

posted: 17 December 2004
12:08 pm ET

Finally. After many years of reading about the universal dictionary (Robert Heinlein), the city fathers (James Blish), the house records (Frank Herbert), and the hitchhiker's guide (Douglas Adams), to name just a few, Google has finally decided to put all there is of human knowledge online.

All right, not quite all of it. But Google is working with the University of Michigan, Harvard and several other libraries to put millions (that's millions!) of books online. Scanned, spidered, and ready to read. Google has already started scanning some books; full details on what the program will entail are not yet available. Let's face it; given their past history with new programs, Google will probably still have this in beta with a couple million books scanned.

"Even before we started Google, we dreamed of making the incredible breadth of information that librarians so lovingly organize searchable online," said Larry Page, Google co-founder and president of Products. "Today we're pleased to announce this program to digitize the collections of these amazing libraries so that every Google user can search them instantly.

"Our work with libraries further enhances the existing Google Print (TM) program, which enables users to find matches within the full text of books, while publishers and authors monetize that information," Page added. "Google's mission is to organize the world's information, and we're excited to be working with libraries to help make this mission a reality."

Google print lets you look at whole pages for free books and excerpts from copyrighted works. Revenue possibilities exist for ads delivered with content, buy-this-book links, and so forth. But I'm hoping that most of it will be free for the taking.

Read more at Google Print and Google Blog.

(This Science Fiction in the News story used with permission from Technovelgy.com - where science meets fiction.)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:26 am
Oops. Should have given you the link.

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/technovel_google_041217.html
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:44 pm
I can see why the two stanford university guys who created google are so rich at the moment
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 07:32 am
Thanks Walter, and Bob.
0 Replies