Becoming a lawyer - Need a lot of advice

yas futurelaw

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:55 am
Phoenix, Oh! Im sorry. That was my bad. I'm dizzy thats all, my eyes seem to hurt because i have spent quiete some time staring at the monitor. I didnt read thoroughlly the sentence. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:57 am
yas_futurelaw- So get away from this for awhile. Let what cav & I have said sink in. You don't have to do everything at once.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
I'll tell you yas, It's been a while. I don't even know what they teach in high school anymore, especially in the British system. I might suggest logic, or something else that is very analytical. I have at least one corporate lawyer, senior partner in the family, and a judge. I also know a ton of lawyers outside the family, in all sorts of fields, including corporate. Many are clients of mine. I'm a caterer. The best thing to do, if you are serious, is to start doing practice LSATs. Just buy the book, and see how you do. Also, the LSATs are all about the timing, so make sure you time yourself according to the guidelines. Then, just keep doing them until you get where you want to be, scorewise, and timewise.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:01 am
Also, to echo Phoenix, take your time.
0 Replies

yas futurelaw

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:01 am
Hehe. I will be taking a break soon. Its just that im excited that's all.

Quote:
Oh, for an MBA degree, you would definitely need math, and a good grounding in accounting and book keeping.

What kind of maths specifically? Currently i am not even taking the actuall grade 11 course in mathematics. Its core maths, which i presume you know. If not its less detailed and easier chapters of grade 11. Would that be a problem?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:04 am
An MBA is a lengthy process. Here are the admission requirements from the University of Toronto: http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/skoll/admission.htm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
yas_futurelaw- Chill out. You still have some high school and college unilt you go to law school. Do they have a guidance counselor in your school?
Why don't you make an appointment with her, and ask her about how to handle the math problem. She most likely has a deeper understanding about the Canadian University system, and can assist you.

Also......ORDER THOSE CATALOGS.....as they say "one picture is worth 1,000 words"!
0 Replies

yas futurelaw

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:16 am
Let me tell you guys something. Currently i am studying in Dubai and the school i attend is REALLY corrupted. AC's don't work, desks that don't fit students, dirty class rooms and the teaching is awful.

I have taken physics, chemistry, math, english, History, IT and some compulsory courses like Arabic, islamic (Not doing so well at those 2).

I hate this school and i am just waiting for 4 more months, after i complete my IGCSE's i am once again going to head back to toronto to do my grade 12. Currently i am doing well in all my subjects. In my core maths which is the easier version of the real curriculum ( covers basic and easy chapters in grade 11 maths), i scored a 98 / 100 on my exam(grade 10 finals). I was once in the normal math classed but i got booted to core maths because the teacher i had was a real asshole. He never taught anything, he just talked about his life and then assigned class work and homework with minimal teaching. One day with frustration i told him he couldn't teach for **** and i got booted to core maths.

I couldn't do much because belive it or not he was Head of Mathematics and also the vice principle. Talking to the co-ordinator was useless because she trusted him more than me. I am telling you basically he swore every 10 minutes in class and students who SUCK in maths where given B in report cards. He got fired because they caught him smoking in school and false marks given to students. I couldn't change back to the original math in grade 11 because grade 10 and 11 is combined and i missed half the topics so i sticked to my core class.

Core math was extremely easy for me.
I honestly hate it, messed my future Sad

PS: this school has no guidance councellor or anything similar to it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:24 am
Bad teachers are just that, bad. However, your situation is not really that bad. You do seem to have the thirst for knowledge. I used to get bad grades in math because I could figure things out in my head, and then I was penalized for 'not showing my work'. Showing the work was the hard part for me. You are too young still to have messed up your future. Wink Just for fun, and for your interest, this math site is interactive, and has lots of great educational info in many areas of the subject: http://www.cut-the-knot.org/content.shtml
0 Replies

yas futurelaw

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:32 am
Hehe thanks cav. I am most probably going to take LSAT courses that will help me with the LSAT. But that wont be now. I am also planning to major in philosophy and i heard its a great subject. Builds many skills required for Law. Btw hey cav you know that link you provided, thats a different degree. The degree which i want to get is

JD/MBA

I think its completely different from that site. So i don't know. In my last year of school ill try to take courses that will help me for this kind of degree. Even though im far from law school planning early isn't bad Laughing

Thanks Cav and yes i will try to be part of this forum as long as i can.
0 Replies

yas futurelaw

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
BTW another link i found on JD/MBA

Program Overview - JD/MBA
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:36 am
yas_futurelaw wrote:
I really appreciate what you just said. Learned from my mistakes and will not make it twice. I was just kidding when i said "Must you put me down". Do you have anymore suggestions for me. Honestly tell me is my english that bad joe. And does that mean i cannot practice law because of my english. How can i improve this.

For a junior in high school, your English is fine -- probably above average. And since you seem eager -- even avid -- to improve your language skills, I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about when you become a lawyer in nine years.

As for your math skills: I've mentioned elsewhere that my math skills are rudimentary at best. In my experience, most lawyers are terrible at math (except for patent lawyers).

With regard to college courses: Phoenix offers good advice. I'll just add that there is no such thing as a standard "pre-law" curriculum in college. Although many colleges have pre-law programs, it is not necessary to get a pre-law degree in order to go to law school (or, at least, that's the way it works in the US: Canada might be different). Rather than concentrate on pre-law courses, take courses that interest you. There will be time enough in law school to take lots of law classes.

cavfancier: I'm no expert on Canadian law, but I would imagine that anyone who passes the bar in Ontario could practice anywhere in the province. I doubt that there is a separate bar exam for each city.
0 Replies

yas futurelaw

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:40 am
Hey thanks Joe! I think i am going to take night courses in math or anything to help me with law and even MBA. Yes i know there are not 'pre-law' courses i'm confused if there are any pre-law courses for JD/MBA degree which is part of the law school, a degree they offer. I am going to look into it. But thanks ! Smile
0 Replies