Hi I have a couple of questions I really need answering as I have no clue

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:16 pm
Hi thank you for reading .

My first question is
If you were working on a transformer (pylon) and you brought a generator what unforeseen problem can cause the generator to trip?
Now before you answer my next question is ....what unforseen problem can cause a generator to trip and also break appliances in homes ?
Looking for some answers from people who know what they are taking about.
Many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 637 • Replies: 5
No top replies

centrox

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:20 pm
Is the transformer a step-down distribution transformer whose primary is connected to an HV supply provided by a power company? And is the secondary supplying a low-voltage domestic supply to homes or businesses? What work was being done? Where does the generator fit into this picture? There are too many possibilities to give an answer to such a vague question.

Shellylawlor1986

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:25 pm
@centrox,
Hi sorry as said I have no understanding to this myself. So will try be as descriptive as I possibly can

Work being carried out on a transformer which feeds electricity to homes .
The company brought a generator with them to carry out some planned work
Whilst they were there every house suffered with broken appliances . Dishwashers washing machines etc . Some reported lights going very dim then overly bright. Almost popping ...

Been told it was an unforseen problem on a generator feeding our area which caused the generator to trip .

If you can I'd like to know of possibilities that can cause a "unforseen problem" which in the same breath can damage appliances .
Hope this makes more sence
Shellylawlor1986

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:33 pm
@Shellylawlor1986,
Sorry also they brought a generator so we did not suffer any electric cut outs
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:46 pm
There are lots of ways the generator could cause lights to dim and appliances to get damaged, ranging from improper operation of the generator to, as you describe, an unforeseen problem which could be a malfunction in the generator. You would be better speaking to a lawyer who might speak to an independent engineer or the company operating the generator. They may be liable and may have insurance to cover this. Your own insurance provider might be the first call. I don't think you will get much useful help on a web forum like this.
Shellylawlor1986

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:55 pm
@centrox,
Thank you for replying
Just trying to understand it more myself first before next steps
0 Replies