Need a spell check on an algebra word problem

centrox

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 02:11 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

Isn't a "cover" defined as a second recording of an original recording?

It is indeed. "Different Drum" is a song written by Mike Nesmith in 1965 (also copyrighted that year) and originally recorded by the northern bluegrass band the Greenbriar Boys and included on their 1966 album, Better Late than Never!. Mike Nesmith rushed through a version of it in the Monkees television show episode "Too Many Girls", which aired in December 1966.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 02:32 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
The original question is about an algebra problem expressed in words. It includes a situation in which some things which might have happened didn't happen, and how that would have affected a situation also in the past - if more or fewer people had joined the trip, they would have paid more or less money.

The original question is about a singular event that uses the same language structures that are used to determine the usage for the billions/trillions of other possibilities that have the potential to exist.

Quote:
In this situation, 'had' is correct, and 'would have' is not.

You keep saying this but that doesn't make it true.

Quote:
I invented an example in which something that might have happened (I locked the door) simply didn't happen. As a result my house was burgled. Could/would/should are not possible as replacements for that.

Quote:
Centrox: "Would have" for "had" is a very common (mainly US) error.

"If I would have locked the door, then the burglar would not have got in". The first "would have" is an example. It should be "had".

The real situation NOW, is that the lock is broken/non-functional so it is not a possibility to lock the door]

So, given this set of circumstances, a factual "had locked" is essentially nonsensical.

If I could have locked the door, then the burglar would not have got in.

"could have locked" is entirely possible.

If only I would have been able to lock the door, then the burglar would not have gotten in.

"If only I would have been able to lock the door" is also possible. It is more emotive than a "had ... ".

"If I should have locked the door" is not possible only because it isn't sensible.

Should he have been his usual sensible self and locked the door, then the burglar would not have gotten in.

Quote:
If you want to invent scenarios in which these would have been, then you are welcome to do so.

That scenarios exist in which these can be used describes that the proscription against doing so is bogus. Certainly, as described, there are situations where an "if S would have ..." can't be used but that isn't for grammatical reasons, it's because it doesn't make sense.

Just as, all the following,

"If he may/should/shall/will/can have locked the door, then the burglar wouldn't have gotten in"

make no sense.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 06:28 pm
@ekename,
It seems like Linda bucked the Poneys pretty fast, didn't she?
ekename

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 09:52 pm
@camlok,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Ronstadt

Political activism

Ronstadt's politics received criticism and praise during and after her July 17, 2004, performance at the Aladdin Theatre for the Performing Arts in Las Vegas. Toward the end of the show, as she had done across the country, Ronstadt spoke to the audience, praising Fahrenheit 9/11, Michael Moore's documentary film about the Iraq War; she dedicated the song "Desperado" to Moore. Accounts say the crowd's initial reaction was mixed, with "half the crowd heartily applauding her praise for Moore, (and) the other half booing."

camlok

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 10:02 pm
@camlok,
Actually, after a wee bit of research, it shows that Linda didn't dump the Poneys as I suggested. The research showed the incredible scum that control the music industry and it reveals just how scummy they are. They are perfect candidates for positions in the US government.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 10:13 pm
@ekename,
The USA, not to mention A2K, need more honest Americans like Linda Ronstadt.
ekename

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2017 01:23 am
@camlok,
That's a bit more like it, you had me worried there for a sec, thought you'd gone all electrical banana.

0 Replies

NATE1197

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 12:50 am
@ekename,
Hi,
Thanks for re-checking, but (un)fortunately your answer is incorrect...
The total price should be the same one in all three scenarios (actual, extra tourists, and less tourists).
See, according to your answer (N=20, p=$35), the total price if all the tourists had participated (actual) is 20*35=$700
Now, if 6 additional tourists would have participated, each would pay $10 less, so we have N= 20+6=26 participants, and P equals 35-10=$25, and the total price will be 26*25=$650 instead of $700.
So it can't be...
But I would go back to the classroom anyway...

0 Replies