Be going to be doing.

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 07:43 pm
Hi, I'd like to sound you guys out about a question concerning English grammar if u don't mind. is it okay to write something like I'm going to be joining a new firm. I'm going to be telling or asking him about our new marketing plan. Our firm is going to be mapping out a new selling tactic. She is going to be having a conversation with him next month. We are going to be investing in a new market?

Could it be that" I'm going to be doing" and "I'm going to do" have the same meaning? Please tell me. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 580 • Replies: 11
No top replies

layman

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 08:11 pm
@rosenberg,
Quote:
Could it be that" I'm going to be doing" and "I'm going to do" have the same meaning? Please tell me. Thanks.

Yeah, not a speck of difference in meaning that I can see. For grammatical reasons, you might pick one over the other, depending on context, but they mean the same thing.

Everything you wrote as examples are flawless sentences, as far as I can tell. But it would be OK to phrase it differently, for example:

"We are going to invest in a new market." You would use invest (not" investing") when you put it his way, that's all.

To my way of thinking this is better. Fewer words (leaving out "be" which adds nothing).

In either case it's clear that you are stating your intentions about acts to be taken in the future.

The more distant that "future" might be, the more I might consider "going to be," rather than simply "going to."
layman

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 09:04 pm
@layman,
I guess I should add that "be" is necessary when you're talking about some future status, as opposed to intended actions.

For example: By the year 2020 we are going to be debt-free.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 01:34 am
@layman,
Layman, thanks for taking your time to answer the question. Be frankly, I'm hesitant to use "be going to be doing" thanks to the fact that this kind of form can not be found in all my grammar books, many of which happen to be written by British and American educators.

Layman, good luck to you.
roger

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 01:45 am
@goldberg,
Quick name change.
goldberg

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 02:02 am
@roger,
I wouldn't have used this ID to log in if I hadn't forgotten the password of my original ID, which is rosenberg, roger. I may have written it down in a notebook. Anyway, take care, roger.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 09:18 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

Layman, thanks for taking your time to answer the question. Be frankly, I'm hesitant to use "be going to be doing" thanks to the fact that this kind of form can not be found in all my grammar books, many of which happen to be written by British and American educators.

Layman, good luck to you.

Of course not. No one would use the phrase I bolded above, at least not in the context of the numerous examples you gave. That's not the question I was responding to, if it was a question.

That said, there would be nothing wrong with saying, for example:

"I'm going to be doing his tax returns for him in April."

But, not, of course, "I be going to be doing...."
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 11:57 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:
frankly, I'm hesitant to use "be going to be doing" thanks to the fact that this kind of form can not be found in all my grammar books,

Look for the 'future continuous'. It comes in two different forms: "will be doing " and "be going to be doing." Future continuous forms are usually interchangeable.

Future continuous with "will"

[will be + present participle]

Examples:

You will be waiting for her when her plane arrives tonight.
Will you be waiting for her when her plane arrives tonight?
You will not be waiting for her when her plane arrives tonight.

Future continuous with "be going to "

[am/is/are + going to be + present participle]

Examples:

You are going to be waiting for her when her plane arrives tonight.
Are you going to be waiting for her when her plane arrives tonight?
You are not going to be waiting for her when her plane arrives tonight.

It is possible to use either "will" or "be going to" to create the future continuous with little difference in meaning.

Notes here:

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/futurecontinuous.html

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 12:06 pm
I think "going to" is for informal conversational use.

Some of your sample sentences could have used a form of "plan" or "intends."

Our firm plans (or is planning) to expand next year.

Informally: She is going to have a fit when she finds out about his cheating.

layman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 04:48 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Some of your sample sentences could have used a form of "plan" or "intends."

Yeah, and those choices would actually be better than "going to," eh?

Of course, in everyday vernacular, we would all contract that to "gunna" or, better yet, "Imma" as in "Imma invest in some good ****."
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 01:00 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Yeah, not a speck of difference in meaning that I can see. For grammatical reasons, you might pick one over the other, depending on context, but they mean the same thing.

A study in total confusion.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 01:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
I think "going to" is for informal conversational use.

That is false, Punkey.

And you haven't even made it clear if you mean the periphrastic modal 'be going to' or the simple verb 'going' + preposition.
0 Replies