Hands up if you hate Christmas! .. (sorry, edgar!)

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:00 pm
I have bought stuff over the year for various pals... really, pals are easy, you know what they like. It's family that is hard. Well, not all family... but family that seems to have narrow interests... as in what would make sense for you to buy for them? what a pickle.

I dunno - I send my cousins boxes of some Humboldt county products plus the odd symbolic thing or two for each of them, not expensive, just relating to them. They send me a scarf.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:53 am
So you have lots of scarves now, osso? :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 12:33 pm
Yes, many many scarves...
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:01 pm
Count me among those who love Christmas.
I have so many great memories I wouldn't know where to begin. The most difficult Christmases, though, were when we were first married. The Lovely Bride was totally stressed out when we hosted Christmas for my family. Every time we did it: tension, argument, fight, sulk, make up. The "make up" part was usually pretty good, but the rest was the pits. Eventually, she felt more confident and things went much better.

We spent last Christmas in Hawaii. Very strange to be playing in the surf of Wai Mea bay on Christmas. But I could get used to it.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:03 pm
George wrote:
We spent last Christmas in Hawaii. Very strange to be playing in the surf of Wai Mea bay on Christmas. But I could get used to it.

Only strange bit is the location - Wai Mea Bay - the combination of surf and mangoes gives you an Australian Christmas - and we don'ty find it strange at all.

New experiences!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:13 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/11/cartoon_1212_gallery__550x405.jpg

Yes, that's what's awful about Christmas!: If you're not happy, not rich, alone, poor, have a dysfunctional family, etc, etc .... Christmas is the time when you really know it! Sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:57 am
There is an old farmer,Ernest, who lives not far from us. Hes in his 80s now, and his wife, irene, died about 12 years ago, in the mid winter. He and his wife were quite a team.They were married in a time that required folks to 'work through" their problems. These two, I always suspected, were on the editorial board of the original manual. They milked and tended a herd of about 100 holsteins for the years wed known them and for 25 years before that. WHen ernies wife died, the light of the holidays went out for him. They were childless and because they loved kids and people in general (except for the farmer whose propertty adjoined his and whom Ernie and tthe farmer had a lifelong fued about 2 feet of property line)anywayeach Christmas eve eve Ernie and Irene would dress up as Santa and Mrs Claus and visit the few neighbors that made up the immediate countryside'neighb orhood" (were talking about 2000 acres distance here). Whhen wed see the lights on their festive vehicle coming up the laneThey were always welcome and, by the end of a similarly festive evening, Ernie was pretty well hammered, so much so that Mrs Claus would take the wheel and drive the big rig.I have to say tthough, drunk as he got ernie never lost his decorum and, whenevr a kid maTERIalized around his seat, he would immediately sober up and go into his Santa character. i mean totally and, symmetrically sober and caring. Hed ask Mrs "Claus" for the "rap sheet" on tthis little child (of course he knew all the names cuz he was running a scam and the kids didnt know till later in their lives). Mrs Claus had a little present for everyone and most all were pre-arranged by talks with the parents in the previous weeks.

A number fof the neighbors visited him this past week and we , having seen that roles are somewhat reversed,sort of take care of his Christmas calendar and presents for him. This is done from now through New Years so he doesnt have muchh time to sit by himself and become sad.
From the county road tthat leads tto his lane we can faintly see his tree , all lit up in front of his parlor. this is The last tradition hes maintained to connect him to the Christmases when Irene was still alive. when we visit, you can see that he drinks a little bit more and hes letting himself go a bit. However
Hes always glad to see people and , to many of us, hes been the symbol of christmas that will endure as a happy memory. my kids used to love it when the real Santa and his wife would visit , and on a John Deere no less.
Even I would be cheered up by their performance.sorry, didnt want to bring it down any more but, tthis was a memory that was kicked up by Msolgas horror filled word "alone"
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 10:47 am
margo wrote:
Mangoes; fresh mangoes, eaten over the sink, juice running down your chin (stains clothes!) Margo's mango chutney on the ham; mango ice cream, mango sauce.......

mango overload - they're absolutely at their peak, and cheap as chips around Christmas time.

<deep sigh> it's cold here
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 11:11 am
What an interesting thread. Thank you, everybody!

And yes - mangoes do sound great. Not the ones I can buy here in the supermarket...

Anyway, Christmas... I like Christmas now. Didn't very much like it for many years. My mother was always in a bad mood since my brother moved to the US. The only thing that could cheer her up was expensive jewellery. Now what does that say about her...

Then of course the problem of where to be for Christmas - my family, his family, our home?

It all changed a couple of years ago. My husband's family lives in Sweden (although they would not be a problem at all and we miss them on Christmas). My parents moved to Hungary and we are not inviting them for Christmas. So now we celebrate Christmas eve with my sister and her family and it is very very lovely to be together.

My brother usually visits for two days right after Christmas bringing all or part of his family to Germany.

This year, we will very much miss my sister's mother-in-law who died in summer and is loved by everyone. But we will remember her.

I really really appreciate that Christmas is now a holiday I look forward to.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm
What a nice post Urs.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:30 pm
Embarrassed Thanks, panzade!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:38 pm
farmerman wrote:
There is an old farmer,Ernest, who lives not far from us. Hes in his 80s now, and his wife, irene, died about 12 years ago, in the mid winter. He and his wife were quite a team.They were married in a time that required folks to 'work through" their problems. These two, I always suspected, were on the editorial board of the original manual. They milked and tended a herd of about 100 holsteins for the years wed known them and for 25 years before that. WHen ernies wife died, the light of the holidays went out for him. They were childless and because they loved kids and people in general (except for the farmer whose propertty adjoined his and whom Ernie and tthe farmer had a lifelong fued about 2 feet of property line)anywayeach Christmas eve eve Ernie and Irene would dress up as Santa and Mrs Claus and visit the few neighbors that made up the immediate countryside'neighb orhood" (were talking about 2000 acres distance here). Whhen wed see the lights on their festive vehicle coming up the laneThey were always welcome and, by the end of a similarly festive evening, Ernie was pretty well hammered, so much so that Mrs Claus would take the wheel and drive the big rig.I have to say tthough, drunk as he got ernie never lost his decorum and, whenevr a kid maTERIalized around his seat, he would immediately sober up and go into his Santa character. i mean totally and, symmetrically sober and caring. Hed ask Mrs "Claus" for the "rap sheet" on tthis little child (of course he knew all the names cuz he was running a scam and the kids didnt know till later in their lives). Mrs Claus had a little present for everyone and most all were pre-arranged by talks with the parents in the previous weeks.

A number fof the neighbors visited him this past week and we , having seen that roles are somewhat reversed,sort of take care of his Christmas calendar and presents for him. This is done from now through New Years so he doesnt have muchh time to sit by himself and become sad.
From the county road tthat leads tto his lane we can faintly see his tree , all lit up in front of his parlor. this is The last tradition hes maintained to connect him to the Christmases when Irene was still alive. when we visit, you can see that he drinks a little bit more and hes letting himself go a bit. However
Hes always glad to see people and , to many of us, hes been the symbol of christmas that will endure as a happy memory. my kids used to love it when the real Santa and his wife would visit , and on a John Deere no less.
Even I would be cheered up by their performance.sorry, didnt want to bring it down any more but, tthis was a memory that was kicked up by Msolgas horror filled word "alone"

What a great story farmerman.
You've captured the essence of Christmas with this story.

No one needs to be alone and miserable on christmas, unless you're
inclined to do so. Even helping out a the local soup kitchen would be a most fulfilling christmas.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
The story of Ernie & Irene, & what they meant to your community made me weep, farmerman. What good people! And how he must miss her!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:14 pm
Beautiful story farmerman...I'm glad to hear that all the neighbors keep Ernie company during the holidays.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:21 pm
Thanks Farmerman, for your story of
Christmas....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 08:12 pm
Another reason to hate Christmas: The Christmas party & the embarrassment that follows Embarrassed !
I was listening to a program on the ABC the other day, & apparently the party trick of photocopying your bum, or other things (!), is alive & well! .... Photocopy repair people reported being extra busy after office Christmas parties ... all those cracked glass sheets on photocopiers!

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/17/wbleunig_gallery__550x385,0.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:25 pm
hmmmm!
Fairfax (owners) use the same cartoons in the Age and the Sydney Morning Herald!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:09 pm
That's very cheap & nasty of them, margo! The annual Christmas rationalization of their (combined)workforce? Rolling Eyes I hate it when my daily paper shrinks during the silly season.... umpteen articles on "That was the year that was - photographic images". And "Great holiday reading!" (ie filler) Etc, etc .... Boring, boring, boring! They should give us a discount over this period! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:39 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/18/cartoon_1912_gallery__550x399.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:20 am
'Christmas is a minefield for pets'
December 20, 2004 - 3:03PM/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/20/2012pet2_narrowweb__200x332.jpg

Everyone knows what it's like to over-eat at Christmas, but for household pets a little indulgence can be life-threatening.

RSPCA chief veterinarian Mark Lawrie today warned pet owners could find themselves with an emergency on their hands over Christmas if they feed their animals human treats.

Feeding dogs and cats fatty meats could induce painful pancreatitis, chocolate and macadamia nuts could be toxic, and barbecued onions caused red blood cells to burst, leading to anaemia.

"The Christmas table is a minefield for pets," Dr Lawrie said.

About 33 per cent of Australian cats are overweight or obese, the RSPCA said.

One victim of feline obesity is Mickey, a portly, ginger short-haired cat who arrived at the RSPCA in September weighing a hefty 13kg, more than twice the size of an average cat.

Mickey was immediately assigned a diet and exercise regime and has so far slimmed down to 10.5kg.

He can now squeeze through his cat door and enjoy the outdoors in his cat enclosure, and is in search of a new family.

But his story has prompted the RSPCA to warn pet owners too much excess fat can cause problems such as osteoarthritis, cardiovascular disease, insulin resistance, liver disease and increased surgical risk.

"And if your pet has simply had a little 'too much Christmas' ... do not give animals Panadol for pain relief," Dr Lawrie said.

"The active ingredient, paracetamol, can also be toxic to animals, especially cats."

A more sensible Christmas treat for dogs was a nice raw bone, Dr Lawrie said.

Cats could be fed lean chicken or cat treats in moderation.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:23:38