Hands up if you hate Christmas! .. (sorry, edgar!)

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:16 pm
dyslexia wrote:
there is a perpetual myth among child-welfare workers in the US that Xmas is the single highest day for occurance of child abuse, the actual numbers indicate that the 3 days following xmas are actually the highest days of child abuse incidents. this seems to also be true for depression related suicides.

Are there any statistics that support this myth, dys?
(The suicide "myth" seems to be supported by fact. Sad )
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:32 pm
I'm keeping my eye on you, MsOlga.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:43 pm
I love Christmas (sorry msolga)...hope you're not upset Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:48 pm
littlek wrote:
I'm keeping my eye on you, MsOlga.

Why, k? To make sure that I don't hit the dust after Christmas? Or because of my fabulous winking Felix avatar? Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Make sure you don't get too depressed.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

I like christmas as well. Christmas is tradition, family,
love and gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Maybe msolga hasn't gotten the right present yet Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:49 pm
colorbook wrote:
I love Christmas (sorry msolga)...hope you're not upset Smile

Oh, but I'm glad you do, colorbook! Very Happy Tell us about your best Christmas! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:52 pm
littlek wrote:

I don't get depressed anymore (like I used to) ... It's more sort of .... melancholy ..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:53 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I like christmas as well. Christmas is tradition, family,
love and gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Maybe msolga hasn't gotten the right present yet Wink

Another cat, maybe! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:57 pm
msolga wrote:
littlek wrote:

I don't get depressed anymore (like I used to) ... It's more sort of .... melancholy ..

oooookay..... well, then, good night all!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:57 pm
Sweet dreams, k! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:16 am
Well, I'm with Colorbook, CalamityJane and littlek. I love the holiday season. I do get stressed about our annual party, but it wouldn't be Christmas if I didn't get stressed. And I've had some very sad memories, too, with parents dying, a mean step-mother, dysfunctional family members, etc.

Still, it is a lovely thought (in the northern hemisphere) to imagine the shortened days are going to start lengthening again... and I like to see the excitement in everyone, I love the smells of cinnamon and gingerbread and evergreens in the house... and I love the music. (Edgar has a Christmas music thread?... Must go and check it out.) I enjoy decorating the house, too. I think the house "likes" it.

Maybe if you had Christmas in June, Olga, it would "feel" better to you. I think it is unfair that so much of the world's interest is set for the northern hemisphere, leaving all you in Oz and S. America trying to do something out of season.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:29 am
I have a complex christmas history, thank you very much, and watch other people do this thing with some personal distance, if I can manage not to get entangled.

Not to sound completely xenophobic, I wouldn't mind being entangled with someone I would be enthused about.
Entangled in routines with those you are not is quite depressing.

I'd rather go for a brisk walk by the bay...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:35 am
Piffka wrote:
...Maybe if you had Christmas in June, Olga, it would "feel" better to you. I think it is unfair that so much of the world's interest is set for the northern hemisphere, leaving all you in Oz and S. America trying to do something out of season.

I never thought of it like that, Piffka ... Maybe it's a combination of heat, angst & foreboding that makes it worse. Anyway, it's hardly a "cosy" time, in summer!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:37 am
ossobuco wrote:
I have a complex christmas history, thank you very much, and watch other people do this thing with some personal distance, if I can manage not to get entangled.

Not to sound completely xenophobic, I wouldn't mind being entangled with someone I would be enthused about.
Entangled in routines with those you are not is quite depressing.

I'd rather go for a brisk walk by the bay...

Yes. I understans what you're saying, osso.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:16 am
I'm maybe stating the obvious here, but not being a practicing ( Confused practising? Confused )Christian would surely make it less of a significant or deeply meaningful event for me. I'm interested: Are all of you who love Christmas Christians? Does Christianity play a significant part in your feelings about celebrating Christmas?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:21 am
I love christmas - ans I am no christian.

Ritual letting down of hair - some cessation of work pressure - parties - HOLIDAYS!!!

Yay!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:24 am
Yes, but you're a free (family-free) person, Deb! Maybe this explains it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:52 am
Hmmmm - yes, well - it surely might!

Mind you - that is two-edged - I sure miss my mum and sister at christmas!

But - as I watch my friends go through the dependency and dying stuff, I am glad it is over for me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:56 am
Of course you do! Embarrassed Sorry. What I meant was that you didn't have to
go through the thing about being happy with a bunch of people who just happen to be family Deb. I honestly can't remember a really contented Christmas. But your family might he been er .. more functional than mine?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:17:30