Sorry to bother, anyone heard of Herbert Felic Hofer?

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:34 pm
I have the opportunity to buy one of his original acrylics. He is supposed to be a famous South Beach painter. I have never heard of him, but are his paintings anything desirable to collect for future value?

I believe the painting is the same as the poster he designed a few years ago for the South Beach Festival of the Arts, entitled "cool cats." I can pick it up perhaps for about $450.

I noticed it is NOT numbered, so I am wondering if it is one of a kind.

I know NOTHING about art, other than I like the picture and don't want to get ripped off, and maybe luck out and get something to pass down which may be valuable. But $450 is a lot for me.

Can anyone tell me anything about this artist other than what can be found on the web? Do his pictures sell for a lot? Anything would be helpful.

All I found was:
Hofer is widely traveled and collected.

Herbert Felic Hofer was born in Wiener Neustadt, Austria in 1946. After studying interior architecture at the University of Vienna, he followed this formal education with a brief but successful career as an interior designer at a large German department store. Hofer then embarked on a search for adventure which took him on extensive travels through Europe and Africa. He eventually settled in Rome, Italy, where he lived for 20 years. His friendship with film director Frederico Fellini introduced him to acting.

Once again off on journeys connected with filming he found inspiration in the exotic locations, cultures and customs which are reflected in his artwork. The main effect of his unique form of painting is seen in the intricate design, use of color and abundant floral decoration which convey a sophisticated yet dreamlike quality.

Hofer has gained international fame from his world wide exhibitions and has been described by the Austrian Cultural Institute as an artist who manages in his simple way to touch the hearts of nations. The most famous of his works, 'Search for Paradise' earned him the United Nations Peace Prize in 1984.

Hofer's work has been avidly collected wherever he has exhibited. His work appears in the private collections of Fellini, Robert de Niro, Lena Horne, the Pope, Luciano Pavarotti and many others. Hofer has been a resident of the famous art deco district, in Miami Beach's famous South Beach for over 10 years. He has commemorated many of South Beach's well-known architectural landmarks and events.

Herbert Hofer's whimsical, brilliantly colored paintings evoke the joys of childhood in universal themes. Hofer describes himself as "the Primitive Austrian" and his paintings as "modern primitives." They are folk art with a dreamy adventurous quality incorporating intricate design, tropical colors, and abundant floras. His work represents his own search for paradise in a spirit of optimism, joy, and peace.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,091 • Replies: 6
No top replies

lookslikeahog

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:38 pm
I stand corrected
The title of the piece is actually "Retiring in Florida." It is dated 2003. It threw me off because it is "similar" to "cool cats."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:38 am
I now nothing what could be any further help, beisdes, perhaps, that the artist's name is Herbert Felix Hofer :wink:

($ 450 doesn't sound that much for me.)
0 Replies

lookslikeahog

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:50 pm
hmm
Well, I did some further research. I can buy 6 original Acrylics from someone I know which were donated to a charity and have not been auctiond or sold yet.

I think this guy might be the real deal. As I look at his paintings at his site, http://www.herberthofer.com. I see some, and I realize, I HAVE SEEN THEM BEFORE! Granted, He is in Miami and I too live in Florida, but I am hours away in the North.

I got the gumption to call the number on his site and it was his wife who answered. I asked some questions since I am not knowledgable about art, and from what I could ascertain, he is pretty popular. He is in the hall of fame, garnered the United Nations Peace Prize in 1984 for one piece. In addition, I learned in addition to Pope John Paul having some of his work, other pieces of his are on display in the Vatican Museum!!!

She also went on to tell me Robert Deniro and Luciano Pavarotti collect his work.

I think I will pay the $450 for the one painting, and buy the other 6. This organization does not really understand what they have in these paintings. They are a good investment, I am almost certain.

It is not about the money though, it is that I LOVE these paintings. They are amazingly unque. Check them out at the link above. Also, this is VERY interesting here http://herberthofer.com/pdf/mediakit.pdf

If anyone ELSE knows anything, PLEASE let me know. Thanks and sorry to pester you with my elementary questions.

This pic below is one of his works he donated and I believe he has more throughout Miami in the parks, landmarks, etc.

http://www.miamifashioncity.com/images/herbert.jpg
0 Replies

danemax

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:54 pm
Herbert Hofer
I know this artist personally, and any of his work is totally unique, with the opportunity to increase in value over a short period of time. Like any work it is how much his work will be appreciated from and by his collectors. Personally I wish I had the funds to buy all of his painting, including the ones he presented to the Pope, his friends in the film industry like De Niro, or Pavarotti. Question
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
Is that a motorcycle gas tank he's leaning on in the photograph? Don't those wings play hell with your peripheral vison?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:17 am
"Increase in value over a short period of time" is rather doubtful as the secondary market for any living artist's work is very flaky. One may pay as little as $450.00 and think they've got a deal and the donation of the work is commendable but whether one could sell these for any more in the foreseeable future is gazing into a crystal ball. De Niro is hardly a serious art collector nor Pavarotti. Nor is this artist every likely to be in a museum. Typically, artist who cultivate a commercial market will have a five to ten year window where their work may sometimes change hands at increased prices and then fall flat as a pancake. It will usually end up in that category of fad art that is often exploited by dealers, galleries, publishers, brokers (Yuch) et al. Do not buy art for investment -- buy it because you can afford it and have a place to display it.
0 Replies