Movie Survey

chai2

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 01:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Sorry izzy, the very definition of a blockbuster has to do with its commercial success.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 01:53 pm
@Real Music,
I still respectfully have doubts.

Just because you saw a movie in one form or another, doesn't mean you had any real interest in it.

You could have been taken to it as a child, when you would have rather seen or done something else. You could have seen on TV or some streaming device and snoozed through it.

There's classic movies that I sat through, and the only result was that I sat in a seat for that amount of time, and it played in front of me, but I could now say "I saw that."

Perhaps a more interesting question would be "Which of this movies did you see because it was your choice, or at least agreed with someone elses choice, and were interested in viewing. BTW, agreeing with someone elses choice wouldn't include "sure, whatever, I'll go along."
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 03:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Perhaps a more interesting question would be "Which of this movies did you see because it was your choice, or at least agreed with someone elses choice, and were interested in viewing. BTW, agreeing with someone elses choice wouldn't include "sure, whatever, I'll go along."

start a thread and ask the question you think would be more interesting
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 05:35 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

1. Star Wars (Original 1977 movie)
2. Titanic
3. Jaws
4. E.T. (Extra Terrestial)
5. The Matrix
6. Forrest Gump
7. Avatar
8. Dark Knight (this is a Batman movie)
9. Rocky Horror Picture Show
10. The Godfather

All of them!
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 07:32 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Just because you saw a movie in one form or another, doesn't mean you had any real interest in it.
I do appreciate your feedback. I think you may have misunderstood what the topic was all about. The topic was never about whether or not you like a movie. The topic was never about whether or not you had an interest in a movie. Yet I am happy that A2K members did say what movies they like and hated. That was unexpected and fun stuff to read. That was a nice bonus to read the extra stuff members added to their post. I definitely encourage additional comments. Keep it coming. The topic was a question asking whether or not you have ever seen specific iconic movies.

The question was in regard to iconic (very famous and widely known). Here is the first sentence in original post:
My friend was shocked when I told him that I had not seen certain iconic movies that he believes virtually everyone has seen.

We may have different definitions of the word iconic. I believe that Bruce Lee is iconic in the world of martial arts. I believe the character Superman is iconic in the world of comic books. Shakespeare is iconic in the world literature. Mike Tyson is iconic in the world of boxing. Archie Bunker is a iconic character in the world of television. The Big Mac and the Whopper are iconic burgers. The movie Rocky is iconic. The movie Wizard of Oz is iconic. Michael Jackson is iconic in the world of popular music. Elvis Presley is iconic in the world of rock and roll. Iconic doesn't mean we like or dislike something. It just means very famous or very widely known.
Real Music

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 07:56 pm
@Real Music,
I saw Star Wars in the theaters as a first run movies back in 1977. Back then I really like the movie. It's been so long, I don't remember much about the movie.
I saw Titanic at the movies. I liked it back then. I don't want to watch that very long movie now.
I saw Jaws back in the 1970s. I don't remember much about the movie.
I saw E.T. as a first run movie. I don't remember much about the movie.
I really loved The Matrix.
I never saw any of the other movies on this list
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:31 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

.... virtually everyone has seen.....

Iconic doesn't mean we like or dislike something. It just means very famous or very widely known.

I don't believe I misunderstood. Just presenting other opinions.

To someone of a certain age, they may have literally never even heard of some of these movies.

Very famous, or very widely known is very subjective.

Your examples of what are iconic are familiar to me, as we may be closer in age or experience.

There's a young lady of about 22 that I speak to at least weekly. She very intelligent and open. One of the things we talk about are what we are watching on Netflix, and suggesting things to each other. So far, I've enjoyed all of her suggestions, and she's enjoyed mine.

If I were to mention for instance, Gene Kelly and/or Singing in the Rain, both obviously icons to us, I'm 99.9% sure she wouldn't know who/what either one was. To her those things are in no way iconic.

So the definition of that word just....depends.

Not arguing with you, just conversing.

As an aside, I'm glad I don't feel the obligation to start a thread of my own on this, as Ms. Butinsky proposed. I feel very comfortable discussing this with you, and hope you feel the same. I'm enjoying this thread. Like anything else, it morphs and changes.

chai2

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

As for iconic? That word is as useless as overrated and underrated. What makes something a classic whatever is based on subjective perspective.

Ah! I missed this. Totally agree.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 08:01 pm
I am excluding my own count. I've been keeping a running tab on the total count which includes posting times:
From Sat., 20 May, 2017 8:04 pm
through Tue., 23 May,2017 4:35 pm

1. Star Wars (15 seen, 1 not seen)= 93.75%

2. Titanic (13 seen, 3 not seen)= 81.25%

3. Jaws (15 seen, 1 not seen)= 93.75%

4. E.T. (16 seen, 0 not seen)= 100%

5. The Matrix (12 seen, 4 not seen)= 75%

6. Forest Gump (14 seen, 2 not seen)= 87.50%

7. Avatar (11 seen, 5 not seen)= 68.75%

8.Dark Knight (9 seen, 7 not seen)= 56.25%

9.Rocky Horror Picture Show (12 seen, 4 not seen)= 75%

10.The Godfather (15 seen, 1 not seen)= 93.75%
Real Music

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 12:55 am
@chai2,
I had alot of fun reading peoples comments and tallying up the numbers. What do you think of the breakdowns of the total tally and percentages so far?
chirchri

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 02:05 am
1. Star Wars (Original 1977 movie) yes
2. Titanic yes
3. Jaws no
4. E.T. (Extra Terrestial) no
5. The Matrix yes
6. Forrest Gump no
7. Avatar yes
8. Dark Knight (this is a Batman movie) yes
9. Rocky Horror Picture Show no
10. The Godfather no
chai2

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 09:13 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I had alot of fun reading peoples comments and tallying up the numbers. What do you think of the breakdowns of the total tally and percentages so far?

What do I think? In what respect?

I'd need to know at least of general ages of the people responding to attach any meaning to this.

If I had to guess, from knowing the general ages of most of the people who have responded, I might come to the idea that people tend to see more movies when they are younger. That could very well be false though if you gave a list of much newer movies that were really popular, and the same people gave approximately the same percentages.

So I think I would have to say I don't think this breakdown, in isolation, tells us much of anything overall.

I get that this started as a simple conversation between friends, but I still keep going back to the "why" of why people did or did not see these movies. Maybe at the time you wanted to see a particular movie, but didn't have the money, were working, and it just skipped your mind. Maybe you never wanted to see it in the theater and had no interest, but mindlessly sat through it when it came on TV decades later.

What's that Jimmy Stewart movie about Christmas?

Just looked it up. A Wonderful Life, 1946.

I think I was around 40, so around 1998 when the information filtered down to me that this was a classic, everyone had seen it movie. I had never heard of it, so you couldn't prove that by me. I watched it on TCM then, and was bored out of my skull for 3/4's of it, until, what was it? He died or something? Then it picked up slightly.
So I saw it, albeit somewhat unwillingly, just to see what all the excitement was about, and came away with the feeling that was 2 hours I'd never get back.

Yet, if you'd put that movie on your list, I'd be right there with the others who'd seen it and had totally different feelings about it.

So what would that say?
If you just wanted raw data, well, you have it.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 09:58 am
@Real Music,
I rated the list of films on IMDb with the ratings below.
1. Star Wars (Original 1977 movie): 9/10;
2. Titanic: 2/10;
3. Jaws: 10/10;
4. E.T. (Extra Terrestial): 5/10;
5. The Matrix: 10/10;
6. Forrest Gump: 8/10;
7. Avatar: 2/10;
8. Dark Knight (this is a Batman movie): 10/10;
9. Rocky Horror Picture Show: 3/10;
10. The Godfather: 4/10.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 08:26 pm
@chirchri,
Thanks for participating. After I get a few more new participants, I will tally up the newest revised numbers.
0 Replies

Eian Mcneely

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:56 pm
@Real Music,
Seen
2. Titanic
3. Jaws
5. The Matrix
6. Forrest Gump
7. Avatar
8. Dark Knight (this is a Batman movie)
9. Rocky Horror Picture Show

Haven't Seen
1. Star Wars (Original 1977 movie)
4. E.T. (Extra Terrestial)
10. The Godfather
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 12:06 am
@chai2,
Quote:
If I were to mention for instance, Gene Kelly and/or Singing in the Rain, both obviously icons to us
Yes, I heard of Gene Kelly and I also heard of the movie "Singing in the Rain". I never saw the movie and I have no idea of what Gene Kelly looks like. By the way, I was born in the 1960s
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 09:34 pm
@Real Music,
I am excluding my own count. I've been keeping a running tab on the total count which includes posting times:
From Sat., 20 May, 2017 8:04 pm
through Fri., 26 May, 2017 10:56 pm

1. Star Wars (16 seen, 2 not seen)= 88.88%

2. Titanic (15 seen, 3 not seen)= 83.33%

3. Jaws (16 seen, 2 not seen)= 88.88%

4. E.T. (16 seen, 2 not seen)= 88.88%

5. The Matrix (14 seen, 4 not seen)= 77.77%

6. Forest Gump (15 seen, 3 not seen)= 83.33%

7. Avatar (13 seen, 5 not seen)= 72.22%

8.Dark Knight (11 seen, 7 not seen)= 61.11%

9.Rocky Horror Picture Show (13 seen, 5 not seen)= 72.22%

10.The Godfather (15 seen, 3 not seen)= 83.33%
0 Replies

eve55

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 10:01 pm
@Real Music,
They're good movies but a bit old for me, and I have watched only 2 and 6. Shame on me? I think I'll put them on my movie list.
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 10:09 pm
@eve55,
Thanks for the participation. It's good to have a wide age range of people who choose to participate. In a few days I will tally up and calculate the new numbers. First I need to wait to see if a few more people might want to participate.
0 Replies

cinemacollector

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2021 07:29 am
@Real Music,
great movies, seen them all
0 Replies