Picasso... Guernica horse

mm

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:00 pm
I found a 1943 gouache, watercolor and ink on cardboard that is obviously after Picasso's sketch on blue paper of his horse for Guernica. Full images are available through the www link at the bottom of this box. I am trying to identify the artist and think it could have been done by Picasso as there is a faded signature next to the date 16-2-43. I find the painting fascinating and would like to get others involved in its research.

Thanks!

MM
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,284 • Replies: 7
No top replies

HofT

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:16 pm
MM - gouache wasn't very commonly used for preliminary sketches by Picasso, who was originally trained as a draftsman. You're right though that the pitiful horse and the other animals who suffered and died in that terrible bombing are movingly pictured in "Guernica", so I'm sure many would be interested in seeing your painting online.

You have to upload from your computer to a public internet site - both Yahoo and MSN provide free sites to members - and it can be downloaded from there for viewing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:32 pm
A lot of hiis minotaurs, which seemed to predate guernica, were done iin guaache and ink. Maybe these can lead you somewhere
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 09:04 pm
MSN Groups
Here's the URL to create a Group on MSN. After you have your own Group, you can add photos to it from your hard drive. Then, upload the photos from there to any A2K thread.

MSN GROUPS

My Group is Charli's Place and I've posted many photos from there to A2K. I'll post one below from Charli's Place.
[/color]
0 Replies

mm

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:47 am
Picasso... Guernica
THANKS! LINK BELOW.

Edit (Moderator): link removed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:30 pm
MM, I worry that giving a link to your msn site is considered spam on a2k.

Not that you mean it as spam, but personal links aren't allowed.

What some of us use the msn group sites for, though, is to actually transfer the picture to this thread.

What you do is right click on the photo of the horse gouache painting and select "open this image in a new window",
then copy the URL from the new window,
then click on Post Reply on the thread,
then click on the IMG box,
and add the image url to that box.
Check Preview, and it should show the horse picture.....
0 Replies

mm

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:15 pm
Picasso post...
http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/05/A0/Picasso/1/a.jpg

Here is the image of the painting in question. I've tried to email the administrator concerning this post but have not been able to get through. I have put the info on my MSN group Picasso?

I don't mean this as a spam but would love to get some intelligent conversation going on this piece. I just feel that it should be researched further and there comes a point when other people's opinions help immensely. I love this painting.

My image was removed the last time I tried to post it but it contained the Picasso sketch of his Guernica horse so that was probably not allowed.

I appreciate the replies and help.

Thanks.

MM
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:22 pm
Hi, MM, that practice of a2k of removing personal links is not directed particularly at you. The moderators spend a lot of time removing real spam from the site and they don't have the time, being busy volunteers, to figure out who means well or who doesn't. Not posting a personal link is part of what we all agree to when we sign in.

But, all is not lost. As I said, we use sites like personal ones at MSN to transfer the photos themselves to the threads.
You could possibly get it to show as a bigger image...
0 Replies