La Strada is re-released in Britain

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 01:37 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/17/la-strada-review-fellini-masterpiece-hits-the-road-again
"It is 16 years since Federico Fellini’s 1954 masterpiece La Strada was last rereleased in British cinemas and now is another chance to be blown away by this film’s power, its simplicity, its humanity, its theatricality, its heart-wrenching operatic pathos. The crowd scenes are extraordinary: simply, the faces Fellini finds to put on screen, children and animals coming serendipitously into shot."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Strada
This tells the plot, should you want to read up.

If I were going to watch it again, after all these years, I wouldn't read a review, as I like books and movies not to be spoiled by long descriptions. I'll just say that I think I remember crying, and I'm not much of a movie cryer. I don't remember if they were happy or sad tears, or both at the same time.
Um, I think I'd like to see Amarcord again too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 748 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 02:26 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Ma de tristezza, ovviamente....

Nino Rota's soundtrack:
https://youtu.be/CKLa8j06lkw
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 02:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Ooh, youtube sent me the Amarcord soundtrack too. I probably saw Amarcord three times, but the decades pass.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 03:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I have to look up where some of us talked on a2k about italian movies; I remember that Fbaezer knows a lot and that we had some of the same favorites.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 05:49 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I still have yet to see a single Fellini film.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 06:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I probably like Amarcord the best, still remember some scenes... you'll know them if you ever watch it. It is set in the area Fellini was born.

I hated Satyricon. Tastes differ. Mine might too by now, but I suffered, almost crawling under the theater seat to avoid my boredom (husband was still interested in it... he has a masters in theater).

To me, the actress in La Strada (who was Fellini's wife), seeing that youtube that Olivier linked, just watching those bits, she is too doll like, but I don't remember having that reaction when I saw the film - it made believable sense to me then.

If you are not very fond of the Vatican, you might like Roma: I did like it, not the Vatican, the movie - but the storyline escapes me now. Well, storyline is a word that can turn into spaces with Fellini.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 12:39 am
@ossobucotemp,
I've never seen Amarcord nor 8 and half, his most oniric films as i gathered. Satyricon was a bit long but i still remember some of it foundly, a good sign. Dolce Vita is good too, if you like the city.

Gelsomima is an archetype - a female white clown if you wish. Me think she had to be a bit doll like.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 04:16 pm
@Olivier5,
I've not seen 8 1/2 either. Never saw La Dolce Vita. Yeah, I like the city.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 04:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Adds, I read up on wikipedia yesterday re Fellini and learned a lot of his history I'd not known before, and more about his film making that I'd not know before either.

There are other movie makers I like... besides several more italians: french, japanese, irish, british, american, scandinavian...
0 Replies