The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:08 am
Setanta wrote:
As i don't use public drinking fountains, it is not an issue i've canvassed. That is a pathetic attempt to bring out one of the reactionary religionists favorite hobby horses these days, that they are under seige, and being treated as a despised minority. Personally, i do despise the religionists, on that issue, although i may be cordial to individuals. Those who believe in a deity are not, however, by any stretch of the imagination a minority. Their rights are not infringed upon either, apart from what they seem to believe is their right to impose their superstitions on others.

I'm just highlighting the fact you hate people who practice religion. You can minimalize or rationalize it all you wish. It amount to nothing more or less than you wiggling from under the weight of an allegation you sling around unchecked. Except...you actually hate these people because they practice a religion & they don't hate you because they practice a religiion.

A duck is a duck & hate is hate.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:12 am
No, he doesn't. You didn't read what he wrote carefully, Omar.

I agree with him that I, as well, despise the Religionists. Do you know what that word is used to connotate?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
You have no evidence that i hate religionists. I do hate the imposition of superstitions on me or on others, and the more so because the argument is simply ad populum, which is to say, that most people believe in a deity, and should therefore have the right to impose that belief on others in its social ramifications. I have deplored such imposition, and i have deplored the superstition, but i have not said, nor even implied that i hate relgionists.

On the topic of hatred, your vehemence, and unbridled name-calling in this thread strongly suggests that your knowledge of hatred is large and intimate.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:42 am
Setanta wrote:
You have no evidence that i hate religionists. I do hate the imposition of superstitions on me or on others, and the more so because the argument is simply ad populum, which is to say, that most people believe in a deity, and should therefore have the right to impose that belief on others in its social ramifications. I have deplored such imposition, and i have deplored the superstition, but i have not said, nor even implied that i hate relgionists.

On the topic of hatred, your vehemence, and unbridled name-calling in this thread strongly suggests that your knowledge of hatred is large and intimate.

Well, you said you despise religionists & they make you sick to your stomach. Cyc, agreed that you despise religionists, saying "I agree with him that I, as well, despise the Religionists" (capital 'R', no less).

You're free to hate whoever you decide deserves your hatred. I'm just highlighting it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:43 am
No, because you keep using the term hatred. I have no emotional involvement in despising religionists. I don't hate them, i despise what they attempt to do.

As i've pointed out, your behavior suggests, however, that you are expert in matters of hatred.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:47 am
Setanta wrote:
No, because you keep using the term hatred. I have no emotional involvement in despising religionists. I don't hate them, i despise what they attempt to do.

As i've pointed out, your behavior suggests, however, that you are expert in matters of hatred.

Oh, so now you're contending the words "hate" & "depise" are distinct? As if saying "I despise homosexuals" is different than "I hate homosexuals". Well, you hate religionists. That fact needs to be considered alongside your opinion on this issue e.g. you support same-sex marriage because it facilitates your hatred of SSM's primary opposition--Religionists.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:47 am
Setanta doesn't hate religionists, he merely despises them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:49 am
Try understanding it this way, OdF.

Setanta wrote:
I don't hate them, i despise what they attempt to do.

I hate it when Setanta doesn't wake me up, I don't hate him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:50 am
So did we ever find out how heterosexual couples would be harmed by same-sex marriage?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:50 am
Omar de Fati wrote:
Oh, so now you're contending the words "hate" & "depise" are distinct? As if saying "I despise homosexuals" is different than "I hate homosexuals". Well, you hate religionists. That fact needs to be considered alongside your opinion on this issue e.g. you support same-sex marriage because it facilitates your hatred of SSM's primary opposition--Religionists.

Someone cue the Twilight Zone music . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:51 am
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta doesn't hate religionists, he merely despises them.

You've almost got it. I despise their impositions on others.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:52 am
From http://www.answers.com/topic/despise

Quote:
despise
Dictionaryde·spise (dĭ-spīz')
tr.v., -spised, -spis·ing, -spis·es.
To regard with contempt or scorn: despised all cowards and flatterers.
To dislike intensely; loathe: despised the frigid weather in January.
To regard as unworthy of one's interest or concern: despised any thought of their own safety.
[Middle English despisen, from Old French despire, despis-, from Latin dēspicere : dē-, de- + specere, to look.]

de·spis'al (-spī'zəl) n.
de·spis'er n.
SYNONYMS despise, contemn, disdain, scorn, scout. These verbs mean to regard with utter contempt: despises incompetence; contemned the dictator's actions; disdained my suggestion; scorns sentimentality; scouted simplistic explanations.

From

Quote:
hate
Dictionaryhate (hāt)

v., hat·ed, hat·ing, hates.

v.tr.

To feel hostility or animosity toward.
To detest.
To feel dislike or distaste for: hates washing dishes.
v.intr.
To feel hatred.

n.
Intense animosity or dislike; hatred.
An object of detestation or hatred: My pet hate is tardiness.
[Middle English haten, from Old English hatian. N., Middle English, from Old English hete.]

To regard with contempt or scorn and to feel hostility and animosity towards are two completely different things.

It really is rather rude to go around telling others how they feel about things, ya know?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:52 am
Can I help here? Here are the definitions of despise.

1. To regard with contempt or scorn: despised all cowards and flatterers.
2. To dislike intensely; loathe: despised the frigid weather in January.
3. To regard as unworthy of one's interest or concern: despised any thought of their own safety.

Now, if we use DEF #2, then he hates religionists.

But, if you use DEF #3, then Set has a point. I, being a person of faith, will give Set the benefit of the doubt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:53 am
You should use definition one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Ha! beat ya to the punch.

And even your second definition is not exactly synonymous with the defintion of hate, if we want to get down to it...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

ehBeth wrote:
Try understanding it this way, OdF.

Setanta wrote:
I don't hate them, i despise what they attempt to do.

I hate it when Setanta doesn't wake me up, I don't hate him.

Ah...I get it now. So he doesn't hate religionists, he just hates what defines who they are, i.e. their religionism. Got it! So we're all agreed despising religionists is okay! And, despising homosexuals is okay!

Afterall, despise=/=hate.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:54 am
Gosh Cy, you beat me to it. No fair.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:54 am
No, as i have repeatedly stated, i hate their impositions on others.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:56 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ha! beat ya to the punch.

And even your second definition is not exactly synonymous with the defintion of hate, if we want to get down to it...

Cycloptichorn

Yeah, but close enough where someone could consider it hate.

I just gotta learn to speed up my responses so I can beat you to the punch next time.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:56 am
Setanta wrote:
No, as i have repeatedly stated, i hate their impositions on others.

No problem. If that's how you sleep at night, have at it.
0 Replies