The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:24 pm
Debra writes
Quote:
Why shouldn't two "old bachelors" be allowed to marry? Why shouldn't two "old maids" be allowed to marry?
I don't think anything I said suggests they should not be included a provision for civil union. And I am a strong advocate for civil unions for ANYBODY including groups who need to form a legally recognized family unit for purposes of shared insurance, inheritance, hospital visitation, and other benefits married couples enjoy. I have no problem with same sex couples 'coupling' and pledging eternal love and fidelity to each other for that matter. I just want them to pick a different word other than marriage for that and leave the traditional marriage alone. Once all the various possible (even probable) combinations of civil unions are formed, if they are considered no different than marriage, then before long the institution of marriage will be so diluted and so changed as to be unrecognizable as what it has always been. And that is unacceptable to the large majority of Americans and they should not be required to give up a cherished tradition that is available to anybody.

I advocate a win win solution for all, and that can easily be accommodated and I believe will receive widespread support if everybody will agree to it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:29 pm
It seems that's just not good enough Fox. Pity, because I fear the alternative is nothing.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:32 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Setanta writes
Quote:
"Characterizing your opponent's arguments in a false and simplistic manner because that description is easy to refute is the classic strawman, a forte of the Fox"

And here is the ad hominem attack wrapped in a straw man which is the forte of Setanta. It is neither simplistic nor incorrect to state that all people, gay, straight, male, and female currently have identical rights under the marriage laws. The fact that one wishes the law to be different to better favor himself/herself is immaterial. There are few, if any, laws that do not exclude or disadvantage whole groups of people whether it be legal drinking age, speed limits, non-smoking areas, zoning regulations, or simply people who group together in a communal lifestyle and would appreciate benefits afforded married couples.

I am a strong advocate of individual liberty. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are the concepts that form the foundation of this country. We have become careless and liberty has lost value. The thing that has gained momentum, in this country, is the restriction of individual liberties which makes us the glaring example of hypocrisy throughout the entire world. The rest of the world looks upon us with mocking disdain. The rest of the world does not respect us and they don't listen to us when we speak because we fail to practice what we preach.

The government has no business in regulating the conduct of the people -- to place restrictions on liberty -- unless the regulation serves a compelling governmental interest to protect other people from the injurious consequences of our conduct.

The issue is not that we regulate in other areas based on classifications, the issue is whether those regulations serve a compelling governmental interest to protect others from harm. Accordingly, we have to examine whether the government has a compelling interest in establishing a minimum drinking age, speed limits, non-smoking areas, zoning regulations, etc.

Each restriction that is placed on individual liberty must pass or fail constitutional scrutiny on its own merits (or lack thereof).

If two people of the same sex desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:07 pm
Quote:
If two people of the same sex desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.

If two people of the same family desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.

If eight people of the same sex desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.

If two people and their pet goat desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If eight people of the same sex desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.

I'm a little bit confused. I was trying to find out about polygamy in Talmud Law, as I remembered reading something about it not too long ago.

Found, amongst other stuff, this...

Quote:
Appendix A: The Jewish Encyclopedia on Polygamy

The Jewish Encyclopedia's article on polygamy (4) appears in Volume X, which bears a publication date of 1906. While assuming a critical attitude to the practice, the Encyclopedia eventually concedes it is sanctioned by Jewish law, and then infers polygamy is still being practiced in the US. In the following excerpts, many of the citations in the original text have been omitted for easy readability. This text may still be available at the Jewish Encyclopedia website.

sooooo.... 's far as I know polygamy is legal for the Mormons (not referring to state laws, but to their bible). Same for Jews, or not?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:29 pm
I know, McG, not exactly your example....

But still, would be e.g. seven people of the same sex and one of the opposite sex, so.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:37 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If two people of the same family desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.

I see nothing to disagree with in this, and it's none of your damned business anyway, nor mine for that matter. If the issue specifically were something like Jerry Lee and his 13 year old bride, the state could be said to have a compelling interest--otherwise, there is no good reason to interfere.

Quote:

Ah, but here you are being intentionally obtuse. Marriage is all about rights in property, and two people who marry entail a few responsibilities and enjoy a host of advantages as regards rights in property. So this sort of contention is absurd, as polygamy could be viewed as an attempt to defraud in issues of rights in property.

Quote:
If two people and their pet goat desire to get married, we ought to allow it rather than prohibit it because their marriage does not harm or injure any other person in our society.

Well, if Gus wants to marry his pet goat, more power to him. Polygamous marriages i've already dismissed, however, as inimical to the secular purpose of marriage, to secure rights in property between consenting parties.

This sort of response on your part could be dealt with much more effectively if you just advance the thin end of the wedge argument and be done with it. As a sneer, this is typically puerile--nothing new there. As sarcasm, it fails since it is so revealing of your "next they'll be saying . . ." attitude. It is very revealing of the conservative "oh God, oh God, don't change things ! ! ! " attitude.

At the heart of this remains the "sanctity of marriage" issue, and even that is a dodge. Marriage is a sacrament because religionists require it for procreation. But if just anyone can get married, simply because they are consenting adults, then the special status of the breeders gets cheapened (and married couples most assuredly do enjoy very specific rights in property not enjoyed by consenting adults who merely associate with one another).

Any two consenting adults of any description who want to marry--let em. Goats don't qualify as consenting adults--at least, not outside the Adirondacks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:39 pm
I will also take this opportunity to point out another of Fox's rhetorical habits. When her position is criticized, she frequently claims that she has been the victim of a personal attack. In debate, an ad hominem is a personal attack which is used to avoid the substance of one's opponent's argument. But in characterizing your argument as a strawman, i was directly addressing the substance of what passed for an argument there. Had i referred to you as vicious, or stupid, a liar, or indulging in criminal activity or associations, that would have been an ad hominem, especially had i done so rather than address the substance of what you had written. But i did address what you had written, and described it as a straw man argument. Further taking notice that this seems to be your typical rhetorical style may be unpleasant for you, but it does not constitute an ad hominem.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 12:13 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't think anything I said suggests they should not be included a provision for civil union. And I am a strong advocate for civil unions for ANYBODY including groups who need to form a legally recognized family unit for purposes of shared insurance, inheritance, hospital visitation, and other benefits married couples enjoy. I have no problem with same sex couples 'coupling' and pledging eternal love and fidelity to each other for that matter. I just want them to pick a different word other than marriage for that and leave the traditional marriage alone.

Once all the various possible (even probable) combinations of civil unions are formed, if they are considered no different than marriage, then before long the institution of marriage will be so diluted and so changed as to be unrecognizable as what it has always been. And that is unacceptable to the large majority of Americans and they should not be required to give up a cherished tradition that is available to anybody.

I advocate a win win solution for all, and that can easily be accommodated and I believe will receive widespread support if everybody will agree to it.

See Woo v. Lockyer

On March 14, 2005, Judge Richard Kramer, a California Superior Court judge, ruled unconstitutional certain state laws that barred same-sex couples access to marriage. Judge Kramer ruled that the marriage law was subject to, and failed, the strict scrutiny test because it involved a “suspect classification,” namely gender (of one's intended spouse), and the fundamental right to marry.

Judge Kramer dismissed the state’s slippery slope arguments that allowing same-sex couples the right to marry will open the floodgates to any number of marital combinations. Citing case law, the Judge stated, “There can be no prohibition of marriage except for an important social objective and by reasonable means,” and recognized that “the essence of the right to marry is freedom to join in marriage with the person of one’s choice.” Judge Kramer noted that there could be numerous other important social objectives in limiting adult-child or incestuous marriages.

Like Foxfyre, the State of California argued that California has granted virtually all the rights that marriage entails to same-sex couples (through civil unions), and can thus maintain the "common and traditional understanding of marriage."

Judge Kramer considered the argument and concluded: "California’s enactment of rights for same-sex couples belies any argument that the state would have a legitimate interest in denying marriage in order to preclude same-sex couples from acquiring some marital rights that might somehow be inappropriate for them to have. No party has argued the existence of such an inappropriate right, and this court cannot think of one."

Judge Kramer characterized "civil unions" in lieu of marriage for same-sex couples as relegating these couples to a "separate but equal" status. The Judge quoted the U.S. Supreme Court’s opinion in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka for the proposition that "separate but equal" treatment of classes of persons "generates a feeling of inferiority as to their status in the community that may affect their hearts and minds in a way unlikely ever to be undone."

The U.S. Supreme Court found that the "separate but equal" doctrine was seldom equal as applied and relegated black people to the status of second-class citizens.

Homosexuals have long been subjected to hate, moral disapproval, and discrimination by society. When Supreme Court Justice Stevens was a judge on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, he wrote:

"If the age of a pernicious practice were a sufficient reason for its continued acceptance, the constitutional attack on racial discrimination would, of course, have been doomed to failure." AFL-CIO v. Lewis, 473 F.2d 561, 568, n.14 (7th Cir. 1972), cert. denied, 410 U.S. 928 (1973).

Even though it has been a long-standing practice or "tradition" to confine marriage to opposite-sex couples and to discriminate against homosexuals based on moral disapproval, this is not a sufficient reason to continue to exclude homosexuals from the benefits of marriage.

Foxfyre believes the institution of marriage will be diluted (rendered less meaningful?) if it becomes available to just anybody who applies for a license. I don't understand this kind of prejudice.

The right to marry is not a special right reserved to citizens, i.e., heterosexual citizens, who believe they are morally superior or more deserving of the right. The institution of marriage is not akin to a private country club wherein membership to the special club would somehow lose its prestige if just anyone was allowed to join. Access to marriage, unlike a membership in a private club, is a fundamental right.

It doesn't dilute the fundamental right to marry by allowing all citizens, regardless of their sexual preferences or the gender of their intended spouses, to have access to the fundament right via a state-issued marriage license. To argue that your right to marry has been diluted (sullied or devalued or rendered less meaningful?) by allowing others to have that same right is prejudicial, plain and simple. It is like arguing that your right to sit in the front of bus has been sullied and devalued because black people have the same right to sit in the front of the bus.

Prejudice against homosexuals cannot be disguised by placing an iron fist inside a velvet glove. I cannot agree to the deprivation of a fundamental right to a class of persons no matter how sweetly it is packaged in the words of compromise. It is not a win-win situation to argue that homosexuals may have "civil unions" if they will merely agree that the "special" institution of "marriage" should be reserved for heterosexuals only. The reality of the sweetly offered compromise (the velvet glove) is that the iron fist inside is raised with the sentiment: Take the offer or leave it, but there is no way in hell that we're going to allow you homos to sully our sacred institution of marriage. This is unconstitutional discrimination and a violation of equal protection under the law.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:20 am
Debra_Law wrote:
See Woo v. Lockyer

On March 14, 2005, Judge Richard Kramer, a California Superior Court judge, ruled unconstitutional certain state laws that barred same-sex couples access to marriage. Judge Kramer ruled that the marriage law was subject to, and failed, the strict scrutiny test because it involved a "suspect classification," namely gender (of one's intended spouse), and the fundamental right to marry.

As I understand your link, that case arose under the California state constitution. How much variety is there among the cases decided under state constitutions in interpreting the equal protection clauses in state constitutions? How closely do they correlate with the federal Supreme Court's interpretation of the federal equal protection clause?

Debra_Law wrote:
Foxfyre believes the institution of marriage will be diluted (rendered less meaningful?) if it becomes available to just anybody who applies for a license. I don't understand this kind of prejudice.

While Foxfyre can speak for herself, I think your difficulty to "understand this kind of prejudice" rests on the fact that you frame the problem in different terms than the opponents of same sex marriage do. You frame it as being about equal rights for different classes of people, they frame it as being about protecting the terms of a contract. They believe -- mistakenly but consistently in my opinion -- that marriage ought to be a hard-to break commitment to provide an environment for a) bearing and raising children and b) make manageble the asymmetries that arise in man-women relationships, even in a time of legal equality. They consistently oppose changing the traditional terms of those contracts, whether that be to accommodate straight people (no-fault divorce) or gay people (same sex marriage). As they see it, this is not about equal rights. It's about which terms of a contract deserve the support of society, and which don't. The semantic "same sex marriage" vs. "gay marriage" dichtonomy reflects these differences in framing the problem.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:43 am
Re: Homophobia?
Debra_Law wrote:
revel wrote:
I will give over in the arugment of not everyone who disagrees with SSM is a homophobic. There are a lot of reasons that a person might disagree with SSM.

IMO I think they pretty well all come back to some kind of moral reason.

Here is a deifinition of homphobic from an online dictionary.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=homophobia&x=9&y=12

One entry found for homophobia.

Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia
Pronunciation: "hO-m&-'fO-bE-&
Function: noun
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
- ho·mo·pho·bic /-'fO-bik/ adjective

Revel:

You state that not everyone who disagrees with same-sex marriage is homophobic. You state that there are lots of reasons, unrelated to homophobia, for disagreeing with same-sex marriage. However, you completely contradict your statement when you say all those reasons are related to some "moral reason." Moral disapproval of same-sex marriage is the very essence of homophobia (which you defined) because all the possible objections to same-sex marriage are grounded in irrational fears, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.

I have yet to find an argument against same-sex marriage that is rational and unrelated to homophobia. All the arguments against same-sex marriage are born from a fear or aversion to homosexuality or homosexuals.

Discrimination is unequal treatment of classes of persons who are similarly situated.

Heterosexual persons and homosexual persons are similarly situated. They are persons who choose to form intimate relationships through coupling.

Coupling, defined by the Merriam-Webster OnLine Dictionary:

Quote:
Main Entry: 2cou·ple
Pronunciation: 'k&-p&l
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): cou·pled; cou·pling /-p(&-)li[ng]/
transitive senses

1 a : to connect for consideration together b : to join for combined effect

2 a : to fasten together : LINK b : to bring (two electric circuits) into such close proximity as to permit mutual influence

3 : to join in marriage or sexual union

Here is an irrefutable fact: People, whether they are homosexuals or heterosexuals, form couples. They connect and fasten to each other; they join together for consideration together, for combined effect, and to permit mutual influence.

"The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men." Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967). The right to join with another person in a legally-recognized relationship, (a relationship that bestows benefits and imposes duties through countless state laws), is a fundamental right.

Marriage is regulated by the laws of every state. In every state, the couple must secure a license to get married. The laws of every state recognize and give legal effect to persons who have coupled themselves in heterosexual relationships by allowing them to secure a marriage license, but denies the same to persons who have coupled themselves in homosexual relationships.

The power of the state to regulate marriage is not unlimited. The Fourteenth Amendment provides that no state shall deprive any person of equal protection under the law.

The laws in most states discriminate between heterosexual couples and homosexual couples. The laws in most states subject persons who are similarly situated (persons who apply for marriage licenses in order to marry and give legal effect to their coupling) to unequal treatment. When a fundamental right is involved, i.ae., the fundamental right to marry, the state regulation that discriminates between heterosexual couples and homosexual couples must serve a compelling governmental objectives (or interests) and that the discriminatory means employed must be necessary and narrowly tailored to the achievement of those objectives (or interests).

Although revel states "There are a lot of reasons that a person might disagree with SSM," I have yet to learn of a reason that satisfies an equal protection analysis.

How does state denial of marriage licenses to homosexual couples serve a compelling state objective or interest?

Moral disapproval of same-sex marriages is grounded in homophobia (as the irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuals or homosexuality) and does not serve a compelling governmental objective or interest. Our United States Supreme Court cases have made it clear than an adversion to a particular group or class of persons can never justify discriminatory laws. Lawrence v. Texas.

The Supreme Court has conclusively stated: (1) the fact a State's governing majority has traditionally viewed a particular practice as immoral is not a sufficient reason for upholding a law prohibiting the practice, and (2) individual decisions concerning the intimacies of physical relationships, even when not intended to produce offspring, are a form of "liberty" protected by due process. Lawrence v. Texas.

Under the Equal Protection Clause, moral disapproval is never a legitimate (let alone, compelling) state interest. Moral disapproval can never justify a state law that bans homosexual conduct, but not heterosexual conduct. Moral disapproval of homosexuals is insufficient to satisfy rational basis review (let alone a strict scrutiny review) under the Equal Protection Clause.

The state, through a multitude of laws, confers many economic and noneconomic benefits upon persons based on marital status. The problem is, the state holds the key to gaining that marital status. The state allows opposite-sex couples to obtain marital status simply by application to the state for a marriage license, but excludes same-sex couples from attaining marital status by denying them the right to apply for a marriage license. The inevitable inference is that the denial of a marriage license to homosexual couples is born of animosity toward the class (homosexual couples) that it affects.

See, e.g., ROMER v. EVANS.

The Supreme Court has conclusively stated that moral disapproval, without any other asserted state interest unrelated to moral disapproval , is NEVER a sufficient rationale under the Equal Protection Clause to justify a law that discriminates among groups of persons.

Is there any reason compelling enough and unrelated to moral disapproval that would justify the unequal treatment of homosexual couples and heterosexual couples? Is there a compelling governmental objective that would make the denial of marriage licenses to homosexual couples necessary to achieve that objective?

There are many people who have entered this thread and have objected to the title of this thread. They insist that they are against same-sex marriage, but at the same time, they insist that their reasons for discriminating against same-sex couples and opposing same-sex marriage have nothing to do with homophobia (moral disapproval of same-sex marriage based on irrational fears of or aversion to homosexuals or homosexuality). They insist that there are reasons, unrelated to homophobia, that justify a ban on same-sex marriages.

WHAT ARE THOSE REASONS? Merely stating indignantly, "I don't want to be branded as homophobic, I just don't agree with same-sex marriage," begs the question. It doesn't explain why your moral disapproval of same sex marriage alone should serve as a proper basis for treating homosexual couples differently than heterosexual couples.

You must state your reasons for your disapproval of same-sex marriage. If your reasons embrace any moral disapproval of same-sex marriage, then you are embracing homophobia.

FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO CLAIM THEY ARE NOT HOMOPHOBIC, please state a legitimate reason -- a reason that is based on something other than moral disapproval of same-sex marriage -- for excluding homosexual couples from the institution of state-recognized marriage.

debra, oftentimes I draw my opinions from personal knowledge and this one of them.

I come from a very religious family and my dad was a post master as well as a church of christ preacher. We went to church every time the doors opened unless we were provable sick. :wink:

My sister is gay and she came out while in college. I hope for her sake there is at least legalized unions rather than nothing at all.

My dad does not have an aversion to my sister and just want to deny her rights because she is gay but he is against gay or same sex marriages simply because it would mean he was saying that he agrees with homosexuality when he does not.

He feels it goes against his moral beliefs to vote specifically for homosexual marriages. I am a christian and go to church as well but I don't feel a vote for gay marriage is tantamount to saying I agree with homosexuality.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:45 am
Dog help us . . . who gives a rats ass who "agrees" with homosexuality. It is not a choice, it is a fact of life for those who are homosexual.

Sheesh, religionists make me sick to my stomach.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:03 am
Setanta wrote:
Dog help us . . . who gives a rats ass who "agrees" with homosexuality. It is not a choice, it is a fact of life for those who are homosexual.

What makes you think homosexuality is *never* a choice? So you're theophobic or theologicophobic. That's a workable explanation for becoming sick because of "religionists"
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
I vote for "Theophobic". I can't say the other one. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:57 am
I don't fear god, or theology, i am just sickened by the imposition of people's superstitions on society and the consequent misery suffered by so many innocent and unoffending people.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:57 am
Setanta wrote:

I'm sure the feeling is mutual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:58 am
I would certainly hope so, as it would preclude any social contact.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:12 am
Thomas wrote:

Debra_Law wrote:
See Woo v. Lockyer

On March 14, 2005, Judge Richard Kramer, a California Superior Court judge, ruled unconstitutional certain state laws that barred same-sex couples access to marriage. Judge Kramer ruled that the marriage law was subject to, and failed, the strict scrutiny test because it involved a “suspect classification,” namely gender (of one's intended spouse), and the fundamental right to marry.

As I understand your link, that case arose under the California state constitution. How much variety is there among the cases decided under state constitutions in interpreting the equal protection clauses in state constitutions? How closely do they correlate with the federal Supreme Court's interpretation of the federal equal protection clause?

The protections afforded under the Equal Protection Clause, Fourteenth Amendment, United States Constitution, are considered the floor. The state's highest courts will often cite U.S. Supreme Court decisions when interpreting their own equal protection clauses in their own state constitutions. A state court may not offer less protection than that provided by the federal constitution, but there is nothing prohibiting them from interpreting their state constitutions to offer more protection.

Debra_Law wrote:

Thomas wrote:
While Foxfyre can speak for herself, I think your difficulty to "understand this kind of prejudice" rests on the fact that you frame the problem in different terms than the opponents of same sex marriage do. You frame it as being about equal rights for different classes of people, they frame it as being about protecting the terms of a contract. They believe -- mistakenly but consistently in my opinion -- that marriage ought to be a hard-to break commitment to provide an environment for a) bearing and raising children and b) make manageble the asymmetries that arise in man-women relationships, even in a time of legal equality. They consistently oppose changing the traditional terms of those contracts, whether that be to accommodate straight people (no-fault divorce) or gay people (same sex marriage). As they see it, this is not about equal rights. It's about which terms of a contract deserve the support of society, and which don't. The semantic "same sex marriage" vs. "gay marriage" dichtonomy reflects these differences in framing the problem.

Abraham Lincoln wrote:
Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

This country was founded upon the far-reaching and enlightened concepts that ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL and all men are endowed with inalienable rights. As a nation, we have expanded those concepts to include women, blacks . . . all of mankind.

I may despise what people say -- I may despise their message of hate and intolerance -- but I will fight for their right to speak. Why? Because LIBERTY (which includes freedom of speech) is an inalienable right secured by the Constitution.

Any person who would deprive his/her fellow man of freedom and equal protection under the laws is undeserving of either freedom and equal protection . . . and he/she ought to be wary lest his/her own willingness to deprive others of their fundamental rights backfires and bites him/her in the arse.

Abraham Lincoln wrote:
Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

Important principles may, and must, be inflexible.

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master.

Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.

Therefore, if another person frames the issues in a manner that entitles them to fundmental rights while justifying the notion of depriving others of their fundamental rights . . . well, I guess it's their right to do so. But, I can vehemently disagree.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:25 am
Setanta wrote:
I would certainly hope so, as it would preclude any social contact.

Wow.... How far are you willing to take this; would having separate drinking fountains for "religionists" be nice?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:30 am
As i don't use public drinking fountains, it is not an issue i've canvassed. That is a pathetic attempt to bring out one of the reactionary religionists favorite hobby horses these days, that they are under seige, and being treated as a despised minority. Personally, i do despise the religionists, on that issue, although i may be cordial to individuals. Those who believe in a deity are not, however, by any stretch of the imagination a minority. Their rights are not infringed upon either, apart from what they seem to believe is their right to impose their superstitions on others.
0 Replies