CR

First off, how are ya?

Second, Define 'Sacred.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
Wiyaka wrote:
Actually, we don't want to be a protected class of citizens. We want to be treated the same as those that aren't homosexual. We want equal rights, nothing more and defintely not less.

Lets forget about labeling and get to the true facts. If any two people wish to marry, they should be allowed to do so. What difference does it make what the genders or sexes are? If two people fall in love, why shouldn't they have the same rights and privileges as a hetrosexual couple?

I've given the reasons for same sex marriages in previous postings. However, I just learned today that a homosexual man was barred from attending the funeral of his 20 year partner, by the family. I should also state that I personaly know of a gay couple that have adopted two boys and the boys are extremely well balanced, just a bit more open minded than most their ages (14 and 15).

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm not aware homosexuals have less rights than people who aren't homosexual. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Why only two people? Are you opposed to three or more people getting married?

I missed the reasons you've given for same sex marriage. If you wouldn't mind, why do you think I should support same sex marriages?

Quote:

If two people fall in love, why shouldn't they have the same rights and privileges as a hetrosexual couple?

What's love got to do with it? A couple can't prove they are in love whether they are homosexual or heterosexual. Forming the question this way is really just trying to make this about homosexuality. This is really about "same sex" marriage not "homosexual" marriage. Why? Because two people of the same sex will be able to marry even if they are heterosexual, therefore, it's not about "homosexual" marriage.

Honestly, I have no idea why the entire world doesn't see this.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
revel wrote:

Actually though I disagree still you make a good point.

I disagree because I don't see how anyone else or anything can destroy the sanctity of a marriage between two individules unless they themselves somehow destroy it. I mean my marriage will be just as valid if two people of the same gender get married or not.

Maybe it is not homophobic, but I can't think what else it would be.

I personally do not believe that it would "destroy the sanctity of marriage". My marriage is a sacred bond between my wife and I regardless of whether same sex couples are allowed to "marry" or not. I have other reasons that in my opinion hold more water than that one.

But thanks for saying I made a good point. That makes me feel better today. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:19 pm
Omar

Quote:
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm not aware homosexuals have less rights than people who aren't homosexual. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, they do have less rights. They don't enjoy the right to pursue their happiness, one of the basic tenets of our society, by marrying the person they want to marry.

Quote:

No. Are you? If people are dumb enough to do this, let 'em.

Quote:
I missed the reasons you've given for same sex marriage. If you wouldn't mind, why do you think I should support same sex marriages?

I know you aren't addressing me, but I will sum it up for you: if you truly believe that all people are created equal, then you have to treat all people equally. Seperate is not equal; and it is not equal to deny certain people the right to marry (a universal concept not in any way connected to Christianity, btw) just because you don't agree with their lifestyle.

Quote:
What's love got to do with it? A couple can't prove they are in love whether they are homosexual or heterosexual. Forming the question this way is really just trying to make this about homosexuality. This is really about "same sex" marriage not "homosexual" marriage. Why? Because two people of the same sex will be able to marry even if they are heterosexual, therefore, it's not about "homosexual" marriage.

So? People marry for love, green cards, money, and a whole bunch of reasons. What the hell do YOU care why someone else gets married? How does it affect YOU?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
CR

First off, how are ya?

Second, Define 'Sacred.'

Cycloptichorn

Hey Cy. I'm doing well. Hope you are also. I think we both know what I mean by 'Sacred'. We both know it has religious overtones and since it does, you would naturally argue that it has no bearing (or should have no bearing) on a state recognized marriage. I have always granted those who argue for same sex marriage that point. My personal reasons for opposing said marriages have nothing to do with destroying the "sacredness of marriage".

So I think we are on the same page at least in that regard. Hope you weren't looking for a big back and forth with me today on that one. I think I have disappointed you if so. :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:23 pm
Nah, just wondering what ya thought about that angle of the argument, is all. Nice to hear you are doing well.

Except for one little point I just thought of: are all religions equal? If my religion holds it sacred FOR gays to marry, would that be enforcble by law as freedom of religion? I have no idea about the laws or ramifications of any of this, just a casual thought.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Omar

Quote:

Yes, they do have less rights. They don't enjoy the right to pursue their happiness, one of the basic tenets of our society, by marrying the person they want to marry.

Quote:

No. Are you? If people are dumb enough to do this, let 'em.

Quote:

I know you aren't addressing me, but I will sum it up for you: if you truly believe that all people are created equal, then you have to treat all people equally. Seperate is not equal; and it is not equal to deny certain people the right to marry (a universal concept not in any way connected to Christianity, btw) just because you don't agree with their lifestyle.

Quote:

So? People marry for love, green cards, money, and a whole bunch of reasons. What the hell do YOU care why someone else gets married? How does it affect YOU?

Cycloptichorn

Quote:

"marrying the person they want to marry" is not a right anyone enjoys, heterosexual, homosexual or whatever. I'm still not aware homosexuals have less rights than anyone else.

Quote:

if you truly believe that all people are created equal, then you have to treat all people equally. Seperate is not equal; and it is not equal to deny certain people the right to marry (a universal concept not in any way connected to Christianity, btw) just because you don't agree with their lifestyle.

I'm not a creationist or Christian. I don't believe all people are created equal or are ever equal. I do believe a homosexuals has the same rights as a counterpart who is not homosexual. Different people have different rights (e.g. my rights are different than a prisoner's rights), but homosexuality doesn't change anything. If I decided to become homosexal later this evening, I'm not all of a sudden victim to rights theft. I still have the same rights today as I had yesterday.

Quote:

Yeah, that's all very passionate & etc. However, it ignores the very point it is in response to; namely, "falling in love" has nothing to do with getting married since the latter can occur in the absence of the former. It would have helped if you had read "what" I was responding to.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Omar de Fati wrote:
Preserving the sanctity of marriage also means disallowing polygamy, marriage between siblings, between children & adults, & a small host of other inventive relationships. Homosexuality is one of many ways people carry on relationships. The uniqueness of homosexual relationships are no more "different" than any abnormal relationship is "different" (except homosexuals are squeakier hinges, which by the way, doesn't mean they *deserve* to be oiled).

I found where you gave your reasons for disapproving same-sex marriages.

Marriage is a social contract between two persons wherein the consent of both is essential. Marriage is a secular institution in that it may only be entered into or dissolved by the laws of the state. A person's marital status entitles a person to an abundance of rights and similarly obligates a person to an abundance of duties.

Laws that prohibit polygamy have a purpose other than perserving the institution of marriage. The state does not have a compelling interest in preserving the sanctity of marriage, but it does have a compelling interest in ensuring that the parties comply with their duties during the marriage and upon dissolution of the marriage. Accordingly, the state requires that a married person legally dissolve his first marriage to ensure the welfare of the first family before a second marriage may be entered and a second family formed.

Laws that prohibit incest have a purpose other than preserving the institution of marriage. Incest is illegal in order to protect children from becoming victims of sexual abuse within the family unit. The state has a compelling interest in protecting children.

Polygamy is a crime. Incest is a crime. However, homosexuality is different. Homosexuality is not a crime.

You want to classify homosexual relationship as abnormal. Accordingly, you are making a judgment and denying same-sex couples equal protection under the law based on the judgment you have made about their interpersonal relationships.

The state has no legitimate, important, or compelling interest in denying equal rights under the law to same-sex couples simply because some people may find their interpersonal relationships to be abnormal.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
I did read "what" you were responding to, thank you very much. But there's really only one line in yer post worth responding to:

Quote:
I don't believe all people are created equal or are ever equal.

Then you are UnAmerican, sir. That's not how we look at things here in America.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I did read "what" you were responding to, thank you very much. But there's really only one line in yer post worth responding to:

Quote:
I don't believe all people are created equal or are ever equal.

Then you are UnAmerican, sir. That's not how we look at things here in America.

Cycloptichorn

It's so obvious you didn't read "what" I was responding to because you destroyed the context of my response. You anniliated it. Well, I can't decide if it's better to be a homophobe or UnAmerican.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:43 pm
Wiyaka wrote:
Actually, we don't want to be a protected class of citizens. We want to be treated the same as those that aren't homosexual. We want equal rights, nothing more and defintely not less.

Lets forget about labeling and get to the true facts. If any two people wish to marry, they should be allowed to do so. What difference does it make what the genders or sexes are? If two people fall in love, why shouldn't they have the same rights and privileges as a hetrosexual couple?

I've given the reasons for same sex marriages in previous postings. However, I just learned today that a homosexual man was barred from attending the funeral of his 20 year partner, by the family. I should also state that I personaly know of a gay couple that have adopted two boys and the boys are extremely well balanced, just a bit more open minded than most their ages (14 and 15).

Ok, I'm not wanting to get into a long drawn out debate on same sex marriage on a thread titled what this one is. But, at the risk of the wrath of all who support it, I will respond to this one Wi.

Same sex couples have the exact same right to marry as I currently have. The exact same restrictions on who I can marry apply to you as well as to me. Neither of us may marry a parent, a child, a sibling and in many states a 1st cousin. We cannot marry an animal, nor can we marry more than one person. Your argument about equal rights as defined by this country's laws is a loser in my opinion for that reason. You won't win me over by pulling that card. Sorry.

Stick to the fact that there are certain benefits to be had from a marriage in regards to your partner and I can begin to see the sense of your argument. The problem I have is that most of the benefits can, as far as I know, be taken care of thru legal contracts. Now, does that make it a pain in the rear to draw up the contracts and such? Absolutely. But if you love each other, what difference does some extra work make?

My uncle lives with a partner and had the same partner for around 40 years. When he had surgery two years ago, he had to give his partner power of attorney to handle certain things. His partner has always been like an uncle to me and nobody in our family ever even thought about keeping his partner from the hospital or, had the worst happened, from the funeral. We all disagree with his lifestyle, but pettiness is not something I can understand. It saddens me that any family would keep someone from attending a funeral of someone they loved and cared for.

But incidents like that do not convince me that legalizing same sex marriage is the right thing to do. It does not outweigh (in my opinion) my reasons for opposing it. Just as you and others have every right to campaign for legalizing it, we have just as much right to campaign against it without being labeled as homophobes and hate-filled Christians and I could list a half dozen other names I have read used on this forum. Do you really think that will win you any friends?

Anyway, I don't begrudge you fighting for what you believe in.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:45 pm
I wouldn't worry about it Omer, according to Cyc and his definitions, most Americans are already homophobic.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:50 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nah, just wondering what ya thought about that angle of the argument, is all. Nice to hear you are doing well.

Except for one little point I just thought of: are all religions equal? If my religion holds it sacred FOR gays to marry, would that be enforcble by law as freedom of religion? I have no idea about the laws or ramifications of any of this, just a casual thought.

Cycloptichorn

Now that is an interesting thought Cy. The only thing I can think to equate that with would be the multiple marriages in Utah. Now I know that would not be an exact parallel, since Utah was forced to outlaw them in exchange for statehood, but in the instance the government denied a religiously recognized right in order to be a part of the US.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:51 pm
Omar de Fati wrote:
"marrying the person they want to marry" is not a right anyone enjoys, heterosexual, homosexual or whatever. I'm still not aware homosexuals have less rights than anyone else.

You are wrong. The United States Supreme Court says you're wrong. See Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967).

Quote:
While the state court is no doubt correct in asserting that marriage is a social relation subject to the State's police power, Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888), the State does not contend in its argument before this Court that its powers to regulate marriage are unlimited notwithstanding the commands of the Fourteenth Amendment. Nor could it do so in light of Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390 (1923), and Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535 (1942).

[State statute violates equal protection clause.]

These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888).
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:53 pm
Quote:

Laws that prohibit polygamy have a purpose other than perserving the institution of marriage. The state does not have a compelling interest in preserving the sanctity of marriage, but it does have a compelling interest in ensuring that the parties comply with their duties during the marriage and upon dissolution of the marriage. Accordingly, the state requires that a married person legally dissolve his first marriage to ensure the welfare of the first family before a second marriage may be entered and a second family formed.

This is irrelevant. The question remains, why not three or more persons?

Quote:

Laws that prohibit incest have a purpose other than preserving the institution of marriage. Incest is illegal in order to protect children from becoming victims of sexual abuse within the family unit. The state has a compelling interest in protecting children.

Two consenting adult siblings are not at risk of abusing each other as children. Further, this reasoning that children may become abused with the expectation of later marriage would have us also deny 16 yr olds the a driver's license because 14 yr old might drive illegally. This is a ridiculous defense for supporting SSM, but opposing sibling marriages.

Quote:

Polygamy is a crime. Incest is a crime. However, homosexuality is different. Homosexuality is not a crime.

Again, with the bait & switch. We're talking about same sex marriage not "homosexuality" itself. And, the question remains, why support same sex marriage but oppose changing the law to endorse polyandry, polygamy, sibling marriages, & a small host of other abnormal relationships?

Quote:

You want to classify homosexual relationship as abnormal. Accordingly, you are making a judgment and denying same-sex couples equal protection under the law based on the judgment you have made about their interpersonal relationships.

It's abnormal because it's *not* normal. Do you not know what the word "abnormal" means? Nobody is denying same sex couples eqaul protection. They have the same protections as any of their counterparts.

Quote:

The state has no legitimate, important, or compelling interest in denying equal rights under the law to same-sex couples simply because some people may find their interpersonal relationships to be abnormal.

Nobody is denying same-sex couples equal rights "simply because some people find" whatever the hell you said. You're so dishonest, & barely slick, it's crazy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:57 pm
Wiyaka wrote:

I think they should. It is the labelling implicit in the title to which I have objected throughout this thread, and which most of the discussion has been about. (That, and whether the recognition of same-sex marriages is a constitutional requirement)
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:58 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:

You are wrong. The United States Supreme Court says you're wrong. See Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967).

Quote:
While the state court is no doubt correct in asserting that marriage is a social relation subject to the State's police power, Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888), the State does not contend in its argument before this Court that its powers to regulate marriage are unlimited notwithstanding the commands of the Fourteenth Amendment. Nor could it do so in light of Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390 (1923), and Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535 (1942).

[State statute violates equal protection clause.]

These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888).

You're wrong. I'm right. "marrying the person they want to marry" is not a right anyone enjoys.

In fact, in your last post, you went to great length demostrating several scenarios where peoople can't marry who they want. I'll remind you of those words:

Quote:

Marriage is a social contract between two persons wherein the consent of both is essential. Marriage is a secular institution in that it may only be entered into or dissolved by the laws of the state. A person's marital status entitles a person to an abundance of rights and similarly obligates a person to an abundance of duties.

I mean...geez...is it too much to ask for a little consistency here?
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 02:01 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it Omer, according to Cyc and his definitions, most Americans are already homophobic.

LOL. Thanks.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 02:04 pm
But Omar, Debra is in the legal profession and thus her opinions carry the weight of law behind them. So we must defer to her in this matter. But you are new here and probably did not know this. I have now set you straight.

NOTE TO DEBRA: Please do not take offense at my poking fun at you and the legal profession. (I have found most lawyers to have an exagerated sense of their opinions when it comes to legal matters, and since every case has a winner and a loser, that means lawyers are only right 50% of the time) Feel free to give me a good ribbing anytime at all. Just remember, I really do find your posts interesting. Don't agree with most of them, but I still enjoy them.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 02:11 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
But Omar, Debra is in the legal profession and thus her opinions carry the weight of law behind them. So we must defer to her in this matter. But you are new here and probably did not know this. I have now set you straight.

NOTE TO DEBRA: Please do not take offense at my poking fun at you and the legal profession. (I have found most lawyers to have an exagerated sense of their opinions when it comes to legal matters, and since every case has a winner and a loser, that means lawyers are only right 50% of the time) Feel free to give me a good ribbing anytime at all. Just remember, I really do find your posts interesting. Don't agree with most of them, but I still enjoy them.

I'm glad you recognize this, CR.

(Even though DL is wrong on this point. :wink: )
0 Replies