The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:29 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
It is certainly impossible to have a rational discussion on this topic with someone who is so sexualy immatureand unenlightened that he would assume that people get aroused by mere nudity that lacks sexual intention. I attract far more leering from men on the street while clothed than I do in najed in the shower with gay women. I love threads like this because it exposes the sexual ignorance and inhibition of many here.(Mostly conservative men)

Because the clothes hide your penis?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:14 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Quote:
A heterosexual woman should not only be prohibited from expressing a desire not to shower with a woman who is likely to see her as a sex object, she should be castigated as ignorant and bigoted.

Apparently only heterosexual males can be pigs. Interesting.

This is the sort of nonsense that makes this subject difficult to discuss rationally.

It is certainly impossible to have a rational discussion on this topic with someone who is so sexualy immatureand unenlightened that he would assume that people get aroused by mere nudity that lacks sexual intention. I attract far more leering from men on the street while clothed than I do in najed in the shower with gay women. I love threads like this because it exposes the sexual ignorance and inhibition of many here.(Mostly conservative men)

And so anecdotal evidence from the bizarre world of Roxxxxy is all the proof we need?

"Sexually immature and unenlightened" = Someone who has no desire to have sexual relations with a member of his or her own gender.; someone who associates physicality with sexuality; someone who insists on attributing normal sexual behaviors to "normal" homosexuals.

If anything, there is evidence aplenty to suggest that the homosexual lifestyle is not "normal," but I've chosen to not plow that field.

I, for the sake of argument, am conceding that homosexuality is as "normal" as heterosexuality.

As such it is quite normal for men and women to be aroused by the objects of their desire (gender be damned), just as it is quite normal for the objects of their desire to possibly feel uncomfortable with the sexual attention.

You would have us believe that homosexuals are super-normal:

A lesbian is above experiencing sexual arousal when in the presence of an attractive naked woman, and a gay man is above experiencing sexual arousal when in the presence of an attractive naked man.

Does anyone really believe this tripe?

For someone who is so opportune a target for ridicule, you have a curious affinity for the ad hominem argument.

Notwithstanding your declaration to rabel that I, for one, am guilty of all sorts of horrid insults and insinuations as respects Roxxxy, the truth is that I have not followed the suite of some of my fellow A2Kers and focused on your gender identity.

I don't care what it is, and I'm not about to judge you for whatever decision you may arrive at regarding it.

I did refer to you as a "hag," but that has nothing to do with your sexuality and everything to do with your extremely unpleasant affinity for ad hominem attacks.

In closing, the anecdotal evidence of your personal experience is important to only one person: you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:16 am
Raises hand to admit it: If I see a man's nude body, and it is toned, I am going to experience "that special feeling..." If his face is attractive as well, I will likely experience an intense "special feeling..."

and think of him later... more than once...

Very Happy
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:26 am
Speaking of anecdotal 'evidence', a recent court decision in Santa Fe may or may not impact on this issue.

A fella in Santa Fe, being a personal friend, played the piano for the ceremony bonding two ladies in unofficial matrimony as same sex marriage is currently not legal in New Mexico. The same fella subsequently made sperm donations to the clinic who used them to impregnate one of the ladies twice--two children were produced. The two ladies ended their 'marriage' and went their separate ways before the second child was born.

The mother of the two kids subsequently sued the sperm donor for child support. It was fought out in the courts for some time, but this past week a judge ruled the guy has to pay child support. The reason? The parties knew each other and the guy, being a personal friend, knew the kids and there had been some ongoing contact.

Not a happy situation for any of the parties involved it would seem.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:36 am
Well, this anecdotical story is printed a tiny bit differently (both in your local paper today as in the Appeals Court's decission).

It had been a legal battle over eight years, and finally the appellate court ruled that because Z. has taken an active role in raising the children, he is liable for child support.
Besides, he (and the mother) had agreed that he would serve as the children's "male role model" and he was allowed to have "significant contact" with the kids, the court noted.
The Court of Appeals found that Z. "is the natural father and enjoys the rights of parenthood" through contact with the children and that any agreements that purported to absolve him of financial obligations "are not enforceable." (Source: Albuquerque Journal, 31.07.2008, pages A1 and A6)

Quote:
M. v. Z., CA 27,794 (Vigil) Jul 25, 2008
Although there is an agreement between a known sperm donor and the mother of the child (outside the provisions of the uniform parentage act because no physician was involved) that there will be no child support, when the donor actually assumes a parental role, he should be liable for child support; child support may not be modified except upon a showing of changed circumstances.
Source: Summaries of Recent New Mexico Appellate Opinions - Civil Cases

Foxfyre wrote:

Not a happy situation for any of the parties involved it would seem.

I totally agree.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:48 pm
Lash wrote:
Raises hand to admit it: If I see a man's nude body, and it is toned, I am going to experience "that special feeling..." If his face is attractive as well, I will likely experience an intense "special feeling..."

and think of him later... more than once...

Very Happy

"And it is toned" being the operative phrase.

Chances are the object of your interest will not be very upset with your regard, but then you are a female (and an attractive one at that). The very same object, if he is heterosexual (and in the military as in the rest of the world the odds are he will be) will very likely not be comfortable with any indication that a male observer is experiencing a special feeling.

The bottom line is that it is wrong for the military to force its members to accept sexually intimidating or uncomfortable situations which any reasonable person can recognize. It doesn't force men to shower with women; it doesn't force women to share living quarters with men.

Certain proponents of so-called Gay Rights, in this thread, are not seeking equality for homosexuals, they are demanding favored treatment.

They insist that the military allow self-professed homosexuals to serve (I agree), but they also insist that their sexual orientatiion be a non-issue when it comes to the sensitivities of heterosexual soldiers (I disagree).

Because someone is a member of a majority doesn't mean that his or her rights are secondary to those of a member of a minority.

The Constitution was designed to guard against a tyranny of the majority, not to replace it with a tyranny of the minority.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:30 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Chances are the object of your interest will not be very upset with your regard, but then you are a female (and an attractive one at that). The very same object, if he is heterosexual (and in the military as in the rest of the world the odds are he will be) will very likely not be comfortable with any indication that a male observer is experiencing a special feeling.

You're making assumptions based on your own personal prejudices. In actuality, we find that some people do not enjoy any type of sexual advances coming from anyone.

You are entitled to hold those assumptions but clearly they cannot be used to discriminate against others. Those males who would be offended by "Lash's" come on's are not then allowed to have her discriminated against for her human feelings. The only recourse they have, outside of certain legal situations, is to inform the person that they are not interested.

It's really quite simple and would require only a modicum of social nicety, "No thanks, I'm not interested". If it was taken further, well, we have laws regulating those sorts of things. It's pretty much established that "no" means 'no'.

I can't for the life of me understand how an adult can't handle this in an adult fashion.

The bottom line is that it is wrong for the military to force its members to accept sexually intimidating or uncomfortable situations which any reasonable person can recognize. It doesn't force men to shower with women; it doesn't force women to share living quarters with men.

The military has been forcing this situation on everyone for years. An exceedingly large portion of the military, the politicians and the adult population of the USA have been acting very immature with regard to this issue.

Certain proponents of so-called Gay Rights, in this thread, are not seeking equality for homosexuals, they are demanding favored treatment.

They insist that the military allow self-professed homosexuals to serve (I agree), but they also insist that their sexual orientatiion be a non-issue when it comes to the sensitivities of heterosexual soldiers (I disagree).

Because someone is a member of a majority doesn't mean that his or her rights are secondary to those of a member of a minority.

The Constitution was designed to guard against a tyranny of the majority, not to replace it with a tyranny of the minority.

You have this so terribly mixed up, Finn. The only thing that I'm, [anyone] suggesting is equality, equal rights; that these individuals be given the SAME chances as anyone else. It's pretty clear that right now they are not being given the same rights or chances as heterosexuals.

You want to deny them this for the same reasons that people sought to deny people of color the rights due them; on the basis of assumed behaviors that could never be substantiated in fact.

Constitution, smonstitution. It has done a god-awful job in the past and it hasn't been of much help in this present situation.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 10:56 pm
JTT wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You're making assumptions based on your own personal prejudices. In actuality, we find that some people do not enjoy any type of sexual advances coming from anyone.

No I am not. I wrote "the chances are...," you wrote "some people do not enjoy.." Clearly the two are compatible

In any case you are making the argument for me that we should segregate soldiers based on potential sexual interplay, and, as a matter of fact, the military already does when it comes to heterosexuals. It certainly is possible that a man might feel uncomfortable with Lash admiring his naked body, and guess what? If both of them are in the military the situation will not arise without their explicit approval.

However, in the current military environment (and the one you seem to advance) heterosexual men are subject to the admiration of homosexual men (like wise hetero and homo women) with their only realistic recourse being an aggressive response that ranges from heated words to physical violence.

You are entitled to hold those assumptions but clearly they cannot be used to discriminate against others. Those males who would be offended by "Lash's" come on's are not then allowed to have her discriminated against for her human feelings. The only recourse they have, outside of certain legal situations, is to inform the person that they are not interested.

It's really quite simple and would require only a modicum of social nicety, "No thanks, I'm not interested". If it was taken further, well, we have laws regulating those sorts of things. It's pretty much established that "no" means 'no'.

What nonsense. It seems to make sense because you are addressing a situation where a man might be offended by a woman's leer, but when the roles are reversed and it is the naked man leering at the naked woman, few (and almost certainly not you) will be content with telling the woman: "Just tell him "No thanks, I'm not interested."

I can't for the life of me understand how an adult can't handle this in an adult fashion.

I suppose, for the life of you, you can't understand how an adult woman cannot handle being forced to shower with leering men with simply the adult rejoinder of "No Thanks."

The military has been forcing this situation on everyone for years. An exceedingly large portion of the military, the politicians and the adult population of the USA have been acting very immature with regard to this issue.

What?!

You have this so terribly mixed up, Finn. The only thing that I'm, [anyone] suggesting is equality, equal rights; that these individuals be given the SAME chances as anyone else. It's pretty clear that right now they are not being given the same rights or chances as heterosexuals.

If homosexuals have the same chance as heterosexuals to enter the military openly (as I have supported) what is the chance of which they are being deprived if they bunk in segregated quarters? The chance to hit on a straight guy? Segregated quarters will no more stigmatize them than their open admission to their sexual orientation.

You want to deny them this for the same reasons that people sought to deny people of color the rights due them; on the basis of assumed behaviors that could never be substantiated in fact.

I don't want to deny them anything they deserve. They deserve to serve their country without masking or denying their true identities. They don't deserve to live in close quarters with the objects of their sexual desires.

And what about what the heterosexual soldiers deserve? Don't they deserve the reasonable assurance that they can take a shower without a fellow soldier getting aroused by the sight of them?

You and your fellows are as assuming of behaviors as am I. The question is which assumption is actually rational?

"Normal" heterosexual males will in the presence of attractive naked women, become aroused.

Lash testifies that "normal" heterosexual women will, in the presence of attractive naked men, become aroused.

You and your fellows seem to be suggesting that the homosexual men and women whom you insist are as "normal" as heterosexuals, will not have these same "normal" sexual reactions.

Which is it? Are they normal or super-normal?

Why is it perfectly acceptable for a heterosexual women to rebel against an attempt to force her to shower with men, but it is bigotry for her to rebel against being forced to shower with lesbians? Is not the attraction heterosexual men and lesbians have for women equally "normal," or is the attraction heterosexual men have somehow "dirtier," and more offensive?

Constitution, smonstitution. It has done a god-awful job in the past and it hasn't been of much help in this present situation.

Tough to argue against so brilliant a riposte as "Constitution, smonstitution."

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 04:45 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
No I am not. I wrote "the chances are...," you wrote "some people do not enjoy.." Clearly the two are compatible

In any case you are making the argument for me that we should segregate soldiers based on potential sexual interplay, and, as a matter of fact, the military already does when it comes to heterosexuals. It certainly is possible that a man might feel uncomfortable with Lash admiring his naked body, and guess what? If both of them are in the military the situation will not arise without their explicit approval.

However, in the current military environment (and the one you seem to advance) heterosexual men are subject to the admiration of homosexual men (like wise hetero and homo women) with their only realistic recourse being an aggressive response that ranges from heated words to physical violence.

Does this last comment reveal your own homophobia, Finn? [a real question, not a swipe] Why heated words, why physical violence? "no" means no for any encounter of a sexual nature. Women, or men who are leered at on a city street do not normally resort to heated words [allowed that some may] and they can't resort to violence unless they feel they are at risk of personal injury.

This notion that you would have to/should be allowed to rebuff a homosexual advance with violence is just a bit too pervasive an idea, and I believe it all boils down to homophobia, that people who would feel they need violence are themselves unsure of their sexuality.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What nonsense. It seems to make sense because you are addressing a situation where a man might be offended by a woman's leer, but when the roles are reversed and it is the naked man leering at the naked woman, few (and almost certainly not you) will be content with telling the woman: "Just tell him "No thanks, I'm not interested."

It doesn't matter what the situation is, and again, I'm mystified that you can't grasp the contradictions in your argument. No one has to be subject to the leering of any other individual.

If homosexuals were as predacious as you make them out to be and if they were unable to control their sexual urges in the manner that you suggest, I'd say that there would be way more murders happening precisely because of these situations, given the depth of homophobia in the military.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I suppose, for the life of you, you can't understand how an adult woman cannot handle being forced to shower with leering men with simply the adult rejoinder of "No Thanks."

No one is asking for males and females to be housed together although that is certainly not something that is impossible. I was in a co-ed dorm for three years and I never heard of anyone sneaking in to take a peek at others showering.

Normal people, normal adults are aware of the limits society places on us and with your "plan", you are suggesting that homosexuals be discriminated against and the reason, personal sensitivities. Why do we not allow personal sensitivities to decide whether someone can discriminate on a ethnic basis?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What?!

Finn, there are homosexuals in the military right now, have been for years, have been always. The military has been forcing all your poor little sensitive soldiers to suffer the outrage of having their weenies shown to everyone for hundreds of years.

And the immaturity, big time immaturity, "DADT" says it all.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If homosexuals have the same chance as heterosexuals to enter the military openly (as I have supported) what is the chance of which they are being deprived if they bunk in segregated quarters? The chance to hit on a straight guy? Segregated quarters will no more stigmatize them than their open admission to their sexual orientation.

Again, you want to deny them this for the same reasons that people sought to deny people of color the rights due them; on the basis of assumed behaviors that could never be substantiated in fact.

We know that segregation for any reason stigmatizes, Finn. That is indisputable. And again, I find it odd that you can continue to suggest that their "admission to their sexual orientation" should be stigmatize them at all. This is the essence of discrimination, this is exactly what should not be tolerated.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:36 am
The segregation of men from women from each other doesn't smack of discrimination. I'm still not advocating segregation...because I haven't thought of options... I just think someone needed to say that they aren't comfortable in intimate (nude) situations with people who may be looking at them in a sexual way.

I think that should be a given. I know how to handle come ons from women. I'm not freaked out by gayness, and I've dealt successfully and with extreme chill-itude two situations with lesbians. It's not the come on for me---it's just being looked at that way when I'm trying to shower. You like to think you're showering with a bunch of women who aren't looking at you that way. I think people should be free from that concern.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:09 am
Lash wrote:
The segregation of men from women from each other doesn't smack of discrimination. I'm still not advocating segregation...because I haven't thought of options... I just think someone needed to say that they aren't comfortable in intimate (nude) situations with people who may be looking at them in a sexual way.

I think that should be a given. I know how to handle come ons from women. I'm not freaked out by gayness, and I've dealt successfully and with extreme chill-itude two situations with lesbians. It's not the come on for me---it's just being looked at that way when I'm trying to shower. You like to think you're showering with a bunch of women who aren't looking at you that way. I think people should be free from that concern.

It strikes me as odd to refer to a communal shower situation as "intimate".

In order to satisfy your concern, Lash, it means that there can be no communal showers anywhere in the whole of the USA. All showering situations have to have individual stalls.

But why has this come up only in relation to homosexuals in the military. Why hasn't this concern been addressed for all the communal shower situations that exist across the land?

But again, the most important issue is that people are not made to feel as though they are second class citizens because of others personal "sensitivities". That is clearly what is being done right now.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:19 am
If I am naked, it's intimate...

I guess it came up because in private life, you can shower where ever you please. In a military situation, you're stuck in the environment provided.

I think each person's sensitivities are equally valid, and hope they can be provided for in a solution.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
Lash wrote:
If I am naked, it's intimate...

I guess it came up because in private life, you can shower where ever you please. In a military situation, you're stuck in the environment provided.

I think each person's sensitivities are equally valid, and hope they can be provided for in a solution.

Maybe it'd be better to keep those fingers and hands at the task they're meant for in a shower. Smile

What would you suggest as a solution to those who are sensitive about sitting next to, swimming with, showering with, ... , certain ethnic groups? How are we to handle their sensitivities?

M-W:
discriminate
2: to make a difference in treatment or favor on a basis other than individual merit
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 01:57 pm
JTT--

They can sit elsewhere. You know, this dog ain't barking here. I understand your concern about gays being discriminated against--because I share it.

I just think you should at least acknowledge legitimate concerns from the other side of this issue. Don't agree with segregation if you don't want to--(I don't advocate forced segregation)--but come on.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
Lash wrote:
JTT--

They can sit elsewhere. You know, this dog ain't barking here. I understand your concern about gays being discriminated against--because I share it.

I just think you should at least acknowledge legitimate concerns from the other side of this issue. Don't agree with segregation if you don't want to--(I don't advocate forced segregation)--but come on.

I understand that you are concerned about gays being discriminated against. And I have and do acknowledge that some people could have the concerns you've raised.

But still, for the life of me, I can't see how those personal feelings can be considered legitimate in the sense that they should carry any weight in decisions as to what's legally acceptable.

Isn't the assumption that gays will be ogling others' privates the very definition of discrimination? It ascribes to all of them a behavior that some might have. And where does this supposed "behavior" come from? The opinions of some people that it might just happen.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't seem very logical to me.

Why isn't this problem already a problem? After all gays are in the military.

Sure, people who have personal privacy issues should be able to ask for separate shower cubicles.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:31 pm
JTT--

We are all oglers. We have eyes. Eyes wander. It is the opposite of discrimination to add gay people in neatly with the rest of the Eye Havin Kind.

There. Solved. They just need cubicles.

Next problem, por favor.

Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:33 pm

Uplifting homo-jihad stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrzThqzV4fM&eurl=http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:19 am
Quote:
NO on Prop 8 Web Reveals Massive Cyber Attack
“DoS” Assault Reported to Federal Authorities

SACRAMENTO, Calif. " 10/30/08 " The NO on Prop 8 Web site was hit by a massive cyber invasion called a distributed denial of service attack (DoS) that took down the site for several hours last night, with the assault originating not just in-state, but from Texas, New Jersey and Georgia.
http://www.eqca.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=kuLRJ9MRKrH&b=4061163&content_id={A93FFFDA-05E7-42DF-BB8F-F3AC39ED50AA}&notoc=1
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:44 pm
An extraordinary speech by the Republican mayor of San Diego...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rfea8iEGNw&eurl=http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/
majikal

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@blatham,
Prop 8 passed.
0 Replies