Belgium: highest court finds popular Flemish party racist

Diego Armando Maradona

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 01:41 pm
Quote:
Name one EU nation which does not have a democratic form of government, and what you find to be undemocratic.

Baltic states and Hungary among others who dodn´t give the same rights to minorities.
0 Replies

Diego Armando Maradona

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 01:57 pm
Quote:
56,577 signatures.

Morons if they think that would make a difference

Quote:
Well, similar happened some centuries ago: marriages between Protestants and Catholics were prohibited in a couple of countries.

"Sending everyone home who commits a crime". This would mean, Dutch shouldn't go to prison anymore but serve their sentence 'to huis'? And who would supervise fooreigners? [/quote]

They should serve the sentence in there homeland and if the government are not ready to this, Holland should stop every payment from the Netherlands to the homeland. They would quit soon enough with this bullshit.

Quote:
I am 100% sure that one would NOT get a "yes" in a referendum.

Offcourse it would, to bad it will never be asked
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
I not that sure about it.
Minorities & EU Enlargement
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:07 pm
Walter - the "minorities" Diego means are not citizens of the countries he mentions and/or can't speak/write the national language.

I might be wrong, in which case I hope he'll correct me.
0 Replies

Diego Armando Maradona

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:57 pm
Baltic States. Russian Minority
Hungary among others Romans(and some other minorities as well)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:01 am
So HofT is correct that you don't mean the "Russian minotity" but the 'minority' of Russians in the Baltic states?

(This would be the very same in all other EU-member states regarding non-EU-citizens: Swiss nationalties have e.g. in Germany not the same rights than EU-citizens.)

The Roma are as normal EU-citizens as all the others - see e.g. the difficulties in the UK to handle with this situation (re Roma from the new member countries).
0 Replies

Diego Armando Maradona

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 09:48 pm
Quote:
The Roma are as normal EU-citizens as all the others

Not, check your facts.

Quote:
(This would be the very same in all other EU-member states regarding non-EU-citizens: Swiss nationalties have e.g. in Germany not the same rights than EU-citizens.)

People who are in Germany or live there are (officially) not discriminated, Russian Minorities in the Baltic states are.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
Pay attention, Diego.

What nationality are those Roma people? What nationality are those minorities in the Baltic?

Are they citizens of ANY of the EU countries?
Are they citizens of the country where they live?

If you don't know, say so, just don't make accusations without facts.
0 Replies

Diego Armando Maradona

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:36 pm
They are not a citizen of the country they live in
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:36 am
Diego Armando Maradona wrote:
They are not a citizen of the country they live in

So I don't understand your

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:

Baltic states and Hungary among others who dodn´t give the same rights to minorities.
0 Replies

Diego Armando Maradona

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:01 pm
Citizenship among others.

It isn´t really to hard to understand
0 Replies

ceara

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:04 pm
I hope your in better condition than the real maradonna!
0 Replies

ceara

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:12 pm
The European theme song

"Theres too many men, too many people
making too many problems.
Can't you see this is the land of confusion"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:02 am
Quote:
Muslim woman quits after threats

By Chris Morris
BBC Europe correspondent

A Muslim woman in Belgium who received national attention after her employer was targeted with death threats has left her job.
Naima Amzil resigned after another threatening letter arrived.

Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt said he was disappointed and he vowed that the people responsible for the threats would be caught.

Ms Amzil is originally from Morocco. She has been singled out because she is a Muslim and she wears a headscarf.

The latest in a series of letters sent to her employer from a group calling itself New Free Flanders was too much for her.

Royal praise

The letter contained two bullets and said an execution was being prepared. It also threatened to poison produce made at the delicatessen factory in west Flanders where she worked.

Politicians and trades unions have condemned the threats but Ms Amzil has now succumbed to the pressure and resigned.

The first threatening letter was sent to her boss, Rik Remmery, in November; a series of others following, containing threats of arson and murder.

Mr Remmery and Ms Amzil were congratulated in the media for refusing to give in to blackmail.

King Albert invited them to the royal palace in a very public show of support. But the letters kept coming and, for the moment, the people responsible for sending them have got what they wanted.
Source
0 Replies

Flemish Lion

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:12 am
I couldn't believe my ears when I heard about the letters. It is quite possibly the worst way to create sympathy for your cause. It seems like his (or her) plan backlashed. Okay, she quit, but now everyone is feeling sorry for Remmery and his employee and the police is searching for him.

The writer is probably just a strategically moronic racist. It's possible that they're fake letters, of course, written to arouse pro-muslim sentiment, but that's not very likely.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:01 pm
Whatever happened to Freedom of speech in Europe???
Thank God here in the US you can express any feeling or attitude you want, wether it's racist or communist. That's a good thing that the USA has always protected.
In Germany and some other European countrys, you can't even say "Hitler" because they lock you up and throw away the key; it's insane. Maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit. :wink:
Here in the US you can even walk around with a swastika tattoed to your arm or your forehead and not get in any type of legal problems. But don't flash it in Germany because that'll be the end for you.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:57 pm
Surely you jest Duke.

In the US you can 'legally' express almost* any feeling or attitude, however there are numerous cases of people suffering physical abuse and threats for having expressed their opinion.

Law only means that retribution will be dealt on the offender (occasionally) - it does not prevent occurence of the offence.

Eg There are laws against murder, but people still get murdered.

*Thus, in the landmark decision in Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969), the U.S. Supreme Court held unanimously that "the constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless actions and is likely to incite or produce that action." Id. at 447 (footnote omitted). Because this test requires proof of both an intent and a likelihood that the speech will incite imminent unlawful action, there has never been a case in which the mere publication of written materials was found to be a punishable incitement offense. Rather, Brandenburg's rule permitting prosecution has typically been applied in cases where a speaker urges an already agitated mob to commit illegal acts (such as assault on a passing victim).

Excerpt from http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/racismun.htm
0 Replies