Belgium: highest court finds popular Flemish party racist

australia

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:01 am
I will be in the fatherland next week so I will ask a few people on the streets and do a random survey.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:10 am
australia wrote:
If there was a referendum in say france or netherlands or germany with the question " should islam immigration be accepted in europe?"

what do you the think the proportion of yes and no would be?

My guess to that hypothetical question would be that it would totally depend on the exact wording of the question.

For example, if you would phrase the question as, "Should The Netherlands continue to tolerate immigration from Islamic countries", my guess would be a clear majority would vote no, we shouldn't!

But if it were to say, "Should The Netherlands prohibit all immigration from any Islamic country", I think a majority would say no, of course we shouldnt, not all immigration from any Islamic country ...

Something to keep in mind when you do your survey ...

If you'd phrase it exactly the way you put it - well, you can't say "we" and what is "islam immigration"?, so instead, if you would say: "Should immigration of Muslims be accepted in the European Union?" ... I dunno. I think the knee-jerk reaction would be "no". But in the campaign you'd immediately first get a discussion on what "accept" means. If it would become clear, during the election campaign, that voting "no" means that every single Muslim asylum-seeker, even those from, say, Lybia, would be sent back; that not a single European who fell in love with a Muslim man or woman from abroad would be allowed to marry him/her and live together in Europe anymore; that - etc - I think that such consequences would make enough people balk and vote yes, instead - or more likely, not vote at all and thus invalidate the referendum.

(I don't believe there is a legal possibility to hold a Europe-wide referendum, but it was a hypothetical question ...)
0 Replies

australia

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:14 am
It is an interesting scenario. Thats why I ask you guys, because you live there. You know more europeans than I do.

Sometimes I think though, if that happened in my country with the van gogh killing, i would be really resentful. Its not very logical I guess but maybe it is human nature.
0 Replies

Diego Armando Maradona

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:32 am
Vote in the Netherlands would definitly be yes after what happend to Van Gogh.

Lets just start to ban marriages between Dutch and an Islamic bride and send everybody home who commits a crime. That would help enough
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:58 am
Diego Armando Maradona wrote:

Lets just start to ban marriages between Dutch and an Islamic bride and send everybody home who commits a crime. That would help enough

Well, similar happened some centuries ago: marriages between Protestants and Catholics were prohibited in a couple of countries.

"Sending everyone home who commits a crime". This would mean, Dutch shouldn't go to prison anymore but serve their sentence 'to huis'? And who would supervise fooreigners?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:24 am
Diego Armando Maradona wrote:
Lets just start to ban marriages between Dutch and an Islamic bride

I am 100% sure that one would NOT get a "yes" in a referendum.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:19 am
Quote:
Monster petition against Vlaams Belang

14 December 2004

BRUSSELS - A citizens' petition launched against extreme right wing Flemish party the Vlaams Belang now has 56,577 signatures.

It began 23 days ago on 20 November, shortly after the party's predecessor the Vlaams Blok was outlawed by Belgium's supreme court for being racist.

Just four days after its launch, 25,000 people had already signed up to the petition.

The size of the project is "without precedent in Belgium," said the VlaamsBurgerinitiatief responsible for organising the action.

The overwhelming public response has prompted the initiators to accelerate the process.

"We intend to close the petition between now and the end of the week and present

it as soon as possible to the president of the Senate, Anne-Marie Lizin," said spokesman Marc Spruyt.

"We have received hundreds of emails from Belgium and abroad, supporting our initiative," he said.

[Copyright Expatica 2004]
Source
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:53 pm
Thats the trouble with Europe being so tolerant and giving to immigrants, it lays the foundation for extreme right parties to breed.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:43 am
australia, remember what I said about learning Europe's history.

Extreme right parties have always been a part of political Europe's landscape.

Sometimes, they have been more active than they are now.

Vaccines get fever, but often cures.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:46 am
yes but i can't see extreme right parties ever getting voted in though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:10 am
australia wrote:
yes but i can't see extreme right parties ever getting voted in though.

The liberals in Kärnten/Austria did so, for example. (Had been even in the federal Austrian governmental coalition for some time.)

And, of course, not to forget the right wing parties in Italy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
And Jean-Marie Le Pen making it to the second round of the last French presidential elections ...
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 04:51 pm
They must have problems then, if the state is to the far right and the country is to the left.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:07 pm
Not sure what you mean?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:57 am
I think he is suggesting that the french people are leaning left. Laughing
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:00 am
I think i meant, if the part that rules the country has leanings to the left, the and party that rules the state is to the extreme right, won't there be a clash?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:10 am
australia wrote:
I think i meant, if the part that rules the country has leanings to the left, the and party that rules the state is to the extreme right, won't there be a clash?

Why? Doesn't this happen always in other countries as well that you have different state governments to the national governments?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:11 am
As for Austria: no-one would call the national government there "left"!
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:12 am
Sorry for asking a question.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:32 am
That's all right, we forgive you.
0 Replies