What are the similarities between religions/mythologies?

dauer

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:23 pm
For me, the more God is described the less true of an understanding the description is. But I find descriptions still a helpful way of relating to God.

Genderless, immaterial, everywhere, constantly creating ex nihilo. For the sake of myself I sometimes think of God in masculine and sometimes in feminine terms. It depends on my needs.

Dauer
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:26 pm
Weird how the we have gone way off topic, i think ill start a thread relating to the your ideal "god" question.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:51 am
Taliesin181 wrote:
Heh. "God of Dung Beetles indeed."

Now that we've wrapped up(kind of) our discussions about the similarities between religions, let's move on to our own. What would be your ideal "God", both in ideas and in personality. You don't have to be a theist to answer this one, just have a vision of goodness(or evil, if that's your style.)

What would I consider an Ideal God?

1) If the God wanted us to know It existed...it would do so in an unambiguous way rather than depending on people to write Its words down for future interpretation.

2) It would keep out of our face...and never get involved in any way with anything we do or want to do. If we want to make our world a Hell...It would allow us to do so without interference.

It would not set up rules for us...no matter how compelling the reasons for doing so. And under no circumstances would It ever set up any rules for us based primarily on what "offends" or "pleases" It...because that makes no sense at all.

If that "offends" or "pleases" nonsense is important enough to the God make a big thing out of it...It will knock off this "free will" bullshyt...and make it impossible for us to do anything that offends It. That way...there are no problems.

3) If it has a paradise prepared for us....let us at it. This "earning admission" is for the birds...because some people simply will never be able to earn it. And since the God will have plenty of room for this paradise...it makes no sense to deny anyone admission.

4) It would keep out of our face...and never get involved in any way with anything we do or want to do. If we want to make our world a Hell...It would allow us to do so without interference.

It would not set up rules for us...no matter how compelling the reasons for doing so. And under no circumstances would It ever set up any rules for us based primarily on what "offends" or "pleases" It, because that makes no sense at all.

If that "offends" or "pleases" nonsense is important enough to the God make a big thing out of it...It will knock off this "free will" bullshyt...and make it impossible for us to do anything that offends It. That way...there are no problems.

(If I have repeated myself...it is because this is a very important aspect of any God I would consider ideal.)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
A wonderful question - I'll hold my answer 'till I read some others.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 09:40 am
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in this thread.

Despite our many disagreements...we are a very lucky lot....especially those of us who inhabit this cyber world of ours.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
Amen, Frank. (<---Notice the irony) Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

NineTurningMirrors

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:18 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Both attempt to answer questions which seem to defy answers.

Both contain elements of guesses about the answers to those questions.

And both often present those guesses...as answers.

I think "religions" are merely mythologies that have not yet been generally accepted as mythologies.

Really,that is it in a nutshell,Frank! It sums up all religions quite tidily. I'm going to write that down.....wheres my damn pen...
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:18 pm
My ideal "God" is much similar to Frank's, especially on points 1&3. On two, however, I would prefer a little F-ing guidance from an all-knowing being, and maybe even a little of that omniscience for myself.
Aside from Frank's points:
1) I would have a god that would enable/encourage the best in people, and dilute the bad, and in a very tactile and obvious way...he would be a "Father" in truth, not just in name.
2) Not really an aspect of this, but just an advertisement for a thread I'm about to put together about power...it's really based on a comic book I recently read. It'll be called "Red Son...what would you do with near-infinite super-powers?" It sounds a bit hokey, but I'm trying to get an actual ethical discussion going. Hope to see you guys there!
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 02:09 am
I have no need for a god. I don't know if there is one, but if there is then it could have done a better job of raising humanity. What we've done we've had to do ourselves, and through hard work, dedication, and spilt blood. Mostly all religions that exist today have caused as much problems as they have solved and still haven't explained anything.

So I am pretty sure if an all powerful entity came knocking at my door one day, I would tell it to go back where it came from.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 11:19 pm
I would like not to die.
I would like a God who will take me in his loving arms when I die.
I would like a God who does the same for anyone I know and love.
I would like a God who rewards all the good people and punishes the bad ones.
I would like a God who can explain everything I don't know.
I would like a God to have a masterplan for all of us.
I would like a God who would be responsible when I do something wrong.
I would like a God who keeps an eye on my daughter and keeps her safe from harm.
I would give almost anything for this God to exist.
I think some people may have wanted Him to exist even more than I.

So they decided that he does. Truth must have seemed like a relatively minor sacrifice.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:05 am
I am impressed Eorl, I agree with you one-hundred percent. You've summarized, quite efficiently, one of the points I've been trying to make since I got involved in this blood bath.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:54 pm
Indeed, well put, Eorl. My values differ from yours on some point, but your presentation alone is enough to earn you respect.

On other news, I've got another theory about the "3" archetype, but I'm still doing a bit of research. When I'm done, I'll present it to you guys.
0 Replies