What are the similarities between religions/mythologies?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:53 pm
Oh...I forgot.

To each his own, of course.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:53 pm
I know that the guy is definitely a little too excited about his work, but i believe that his theory is pretty awesome. Im not saying i even believe in the notion of a real Atlantis as opposed to Platos dreamt up utopia. In my opinion i believe that he puts a little too much emphasis on race, and his language to language comparisons are fallacies for the most part, but i think that the possibility of a peoples existing in the area where indonesia is, is a neat theory. Of course, if anything, i would like some real proof to prove Atlantis' existence. Apparently a scientist found it near Cyprus and Syria buried under hard mud and sediment, so . . . Who Knows?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:28 pm
In any case, I take it as a sign of maturity if these discussions can be engaged without insulting whoever disagrees. I mean outright insults, like calling someones ideas silly. If someone chooses to take offense when there have been no perjoratives, that's another thing.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:43 pm
Silly, silly counts as an insult in the U.S. It wasnt even directed soley at you, it was at theists in general.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:03 am
OK - well, in that case I think agnostics are generally self-absorbed, egomaniacal, officious idiots, who can't get over their own belly-button gazing.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:23 pm
Snood: That's the best thing I've ever heard. I could respond with a cut about Theists, but I think you were kidding...at least I hope you were.

Etruscia: I 'll read on, and try to see past him, and see the validity of his theory. It does look interesting...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:18 pm
Talie - no offense meant to you, or anyone else who can discuss differences without getting personal.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:54 pm
No offense taken, snood. I just accept it as another form of argument; everyone needs to blow off some steam every now and again. What does:
Quote:
who can't get over their own belly-button gazing.

mean? I've never heard that before.

Etruscia: Still working on it. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:25 pm
"Gazing at one's belly-button" is just another way of expressing that someone is pathologically self-absorbed.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:18 am
But when someone identifies closely with their own God, then that same self-absorption can be forgiven?

Everyone gets to choose what they think about in the free world. That some listen to what their parents taught them and others explore further afield is OK, I think.

Christianity is fine if that's where you choose to end up, but it has roots deeper than Biblical events and there were other cultures and other beliefs that, imo, ought to be respected.

For those who just can't choose what to believe, who cares?

Those religions that believe they have to witness and gain converts give me the biggest headache. How far from a gentle witnessing is a federal edict that we must believe in the ten commandments? Thou shall have no other gods before me, is, as my son pointed out, deified proof that there are other gods.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:29 am
I really don't care how anyone does or does not believe. If anything, what tends to register with me is whether someone is fair or not, arrogant or not, compassionate or not, etc.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
I hold that view too, snood. As long as people don't try to convince me their ay is best or put my way down, I'm pretty much indifferent about what they believe. How they act, on the other hand, is a definite factor, which is what I think you meant. My interest in seeing the similarities between religions lies in trying to find a common "truth" in mythologies(like I was talking about in the 'Nature of Truth' thread), if such a thing can be found.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:48 pm
Just my opinion, but I don't think there is any objective truth when dealing with personal beliefs.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:56 pm
snood wrote:
Just my opinion, but I don't think there is any objective truth when dealing with personal beliefs.

A very wise statement!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:59 pm
Embarrassed Aw, shucks, ma'am. I just sticks out my fingers, and pluck them dang keys, is all.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:24 pm
Maybe not an ultimate "truth" that everyone would have to follow, but maybe a core set of beliefs that would help guide the way. Essentially, all religions are just people's interpretations of the truth, guided by their own values, so I don't have a problem with anyone else's religion, I'm just looking for a little clarity in the sea of subjective confusion.

Then I'll be the one to distort the truth. :wink:
0 Replies

MikoNoNyte

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
Here come I to stir the pot!

A Wiccan priestess some years ago said to me that the Gods, and she was including the Jewish/Christian pantheon in her statement, were all part of the one or primal diety. That the gods and goddesses were like a reflection in the glass; a fractured mirror that reflected the parts, bits and pieces of the divine. She referred to the Primal one god as Drygthen but she could have been talking about the X=N of math for all it mattered. The idea is a catchy one, and we've all probably heard the "all gods are one" argument before. But if taken back to its very root, it's a very convincing argument. It was that priestess's way of explaining how all gods were right; all religions were right.

And now that I've stirred the pot, I'll go back to my state of confusion. Razz
0 Replies

carbuncle

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:32 pm
I'd worship dung beetles if they could help people get along better! Mr. Green
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:54 pm
carbuncle wrote:
I'd worship dung beetles if they could help people get along better! Mr. Green

Now there is someone I can identify with. :wink:
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 06:46 pm
Heh. "God of Dung Beetles indeed."

Now that we've wrapped up(kind of) our discussions about the similarities between religions, let's move on to our own. What would be your ideal "God", both in ideas and in personality. You don't have to be a theist to answer this one, just have a vision of goodness(or evil, if that's your style.)
0 Replies