how do i get rid of rust in the sink?

KTO

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:38 pm
Hi,

Just moved into an apartment and in my ensuite bath there is a chip out of the white ceramic sink which has caused a spot of rust to develop. Question How can I get rid of the ugly rust spot, and how should I patch the hole after the rust is gone? It is just a surface chip, the enamel is missing in a 1/2" square spot.

Is there some kind of epoxy and then paint I can use that will be waterproof and aesthetically pleasing? I am asking a lot, I know...

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,888 • Replies: 14
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:18 pm
OK, you're not going to believe this, but the first thing you should try is a good fluoride toothpaste. The fluoride will help to chemically remove the rust, and the grit in the toothpaste will help to physically remove it.

If that does not work, use a laundry rust remover. "Whink" is widely available in grocery and discount stores. It comes in a brown bottle, and contains hydrofluoric acid, so buy some vinyl or neoprene gloves while you're at the store.

Do not violate the instructions on the bottle! Hydrofluoric acid, in my opinion, is even more dangerous than the label implies.

However, it is safe if you do not touch the product with your skin, and don't breathe any vapors (don't lean directly over your work).

You will not likely need a sponge or scrubby with this product. Just put it on a drop at a time. If it's going to work, it will work within one minute.

After removing the rust, I would rinse with lots of water, and maybe even rub with baking soda to bring the pH back up (thus neutralizing the acid).

Rinse again, let dry.

Then touch up the enamel with an enamel paint that is made for the purpose. They do sell the paint for the specific reason you're asking. Check into your local full-service hardware store or home center. Someone there will know the right product. I do not know any by name.

General Tsao
0 Replies

KTO

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
rust in the sink
Thanks General Tsao.

I will try what you recommended asap. Thanks for the quick reply...

Kate
0 Replies

KTO

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
no more rust; only toothpaste!
Hi again General Tsao.

I tried your toothpaste technique and it worked awesome!!!! Who'd a thunk it!!!! Now I just have to grab some enamel paint. Thanks a bunch!

KTO
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
good advice from the General; try muriatic acid if you can't find the hydrofluoric - it may be the same thing under another name - and use equivalent precautions.

But if there is a name on the sink - American standard, Eljer, Crane, etc. - the colours that they use are slightly different, and look like sore thumbs on the other's product; so find the right colour of 'ceramic touch-up' at a plumbing supplier if possible.
0 Replies

KTO

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
Thanks BoGo Wo. Will do. Appreciate all the help.

KTO
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:26 pm
Re: no more rust; only toothpaste!
KTO wrote:
Hi again General Tsao.

I tried your toothpaste technique and it worked awesome!!!! Who'd a thunk it!!!! Now I just have to grab some enamel paint. Thanks a bunch!

KTO

I'm glad it worked, Kate. I can't believe you went and cleaned up that rust and made a follow-up posting here in merely six minutes! ROR
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:03 pm
neat toothbrush trick general. I usually use phosphoric or oxalic acid cause its safer than HF
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:10 pm
Yes, I was thinking of naval jelly... doesn't that have phosphoric acid in it?

Glad the toothpaste worked!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:12 pm
yep , or is it navel jelly
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:14 pm
So does CLR
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:15 pm
Muriatic acid is a trade name for hydrochloric acid, by the way. Great for removing lime (and chrome plating), but not sure how it works on rust stains.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
jelly bellies, in any case, if you are looking for good stock futures...
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:43 pm
farmerman wrote:
neat toothbrush trick general. I usually use phosphoric or oxalic acid cause its safer than HF

Farmerman,
I've not used phosphoric acid for rust stains, though I know commercial toilet bowl cleaners contain it.

What industry are you in? Most people don't know about oxalic acid. You're right, it's much safer--still burns the skin, but at least you can feel it when it does. Hydrofluoric acid is painless when burning through skin...til it hits the bone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:00 am
Farmerman has a soft face here, mostly, til he gets riled, but he is smartest or near smartest of us all. At the least, he has a good understanding of various chemicals...
0 Replies