Sweet 16 and Other Creative Party Ideas

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 05:40 pm
Wasn't sure where to put this, so Food and Drink gets it.

A friend of my daughters is turning 16 next week. Since I'm the local events planner, I got a call for assistance. After about an hour I came up with the following ideas and thought I would share them here for anyone else that might be planning party of any kind.

Add your creative ideas for any type of event / party. What you have seen or done in the past or are planning now for upcoming holidays / events. Include decor, food and beverages, party favors, entertainment, invitations, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,735 • Replies: 17
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 06:04 pm
Sweet 16 Ideas:

FOOD

I suggested keeping the menu limited to finger foods. Since this is a boy/girl party, most of this age group will not want to eat foods that drip, might get stuck in their teeth and them not know it, is difficult to chew or bite off, or requires carrying around a plate. They need to be able to "pick" throughout the night, so choose things that last and are easy to pick up and go.

Finger sandwiches - can be cut into shapes with cookie cutters
Veggies w/dips
pretzels
nut mixes
cheese cubes w/ toothpicks

DECOR:

This particular teen love Clay Aiken, so I suggested "This is the Night" for the theme.

Will hang silver stars with white netting that hangs and drapes on the floor on the dance floor corners.

6 round 7' white corrugated board columns with star cutouts and a colored light in each one that shines through the cutout shapes. One in each corner of the l shaped room.

Blue, black and white helium filled balloons will be filled, tied with 1 foot of same color curling ribbon and realeased to float on the ceiling.

Enlarged current picture mounted on larger board and stationed on easle at the door with markers for friends to sign as they enter.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Her friends have a band, so they will play for about an hour. Otherwise will have CD's of her favorite music playing

Also thought it would be nice to have each guest bring a pic of them with the birthday girl from any time (our daughter has a really cute one of them from kindergarten). Have a table with all of the scrapbooking supplies and a scrapbook for guests to go to one at time throughout the night to do personal page. At the end of the night, the party girl has an amazing memory scrapbook.

DRESS:

This is certainly an age of transition. They rarely get a chance to dress up, so the attire will be semi-formal.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 06:09 pm
Just make sure Bear isn't around.

Don't want to scare the damn kids.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 06:12 pm
ahem Gus the consensus of opinion with her group is that I'm head and shoulders the coolest dad around.....so.....stop interfering with my crack franchise....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 06:21 pm
Gotcha.

Sorry, squinney.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 06:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Gotcha.

Sorry, squinney.

pssst...Gus...drop the cash in a paper bag in the usual location?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 06:27 pm
squinney is going to be really pissed at me for trampling her thread. Damn, I don't even know the woman and she's already beginning to hate me.

Sometimes I feel like a motherless child.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:12 pm
GUS! Have you been feeling motherless children again? Shame on you.
0 Replies

plglaserna

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 01:03 am
@squinney: I came upon your post. I know this is way too late but your ideas rock! I also saw the Scrapbook idea on a party planning TV show. My sister's friend also had a sweet 16 party but instead of the scrapbook, she had a simple self-portrait placed in the middle of an album. The album contains blank pages so that every guest is free to write anything he/she wants. For design, the only source of light were the Christmas curtain lights which were lined up along the walls and the candle centerpieces. Since the walls were white, we bought the those which had white strings. From afar, they looked like dozens of fireflies lining up.
0 Replies

edwardgordy

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:17 am
One can have a theme based party and can also arrange DJ or any kind of music system that really gives full enjoyment and fun. One can plans some interesting games and most importantly foods should be very tasty and healthy.
0 Replies

JohnSmith33

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:58 pm
@squinney,
Its better to put some pizzas and cold drinks that will be good for all. bt if you put bear it will may be problem to handle children outof.so pizzas and pasta .
0 Replies

Ethels

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 07:58 pm
@squinney,
Very good.
0 Replies

jaxcaterer1

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 11:19 pm
@squinney,
I believe creativity should be the guiding factor when planning and event. Food and drink should be left to the professionals.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 11:54 pm
@jaxcaterer1,
I think you're talking bollocks, but seeing as you are probably a spammer, you know that already.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:02 am
@Lordyaswas,
I've almost dumped this thread but I know who started it, whom I hold dear, not least, for smartness.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:05 am
@ossobuco,
That's what made me look in on it, Osso.

I then realised it was just a spammer who will no doubt return here soon with a convenient link.

I do hope that Sq is doing well, wherever she may be,

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:10 am
@Lordyaswas,
She also wrote a really good story ... before she stopped.

Love for Squinny!!
0 Replies

jaxcaterer1

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 11:27 pm
@squinney,
I prefer making a themed party! How about a Disney style party this time?
0 Replies