What insect is this?

houler

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 02:20 pm
Hello, first time here, any help would be appreciated:

Found in a Jersey City, NJ, Home.

Can anyone identify what insect this is in these pictures? Is it poisonous?

http://imgur.com/a/nKszG

timur

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 02:30 pm
@houler,
Seems to be an house centipede (Scutigera Coleoptrata).

Venomous but not really dangerous to man.
houler

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 02:53 pm
@timur,
Thank you for the really quick reply timur. I appreciate your help identifying this insect. Glad it's not dangerous to man. Woohoo! what a relief.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 04:32 pm
@houler,
That is not an insect. Insects have exactly 6 legs.

I have those things in my house. They are harmless.

rosborne979

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 06:45 pm
@houler,
Timur's identification is correct. It's a House Centipede. They are very common, at least where I live (New Hampshire).
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:17 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

That is not an insect. Insects have exactly 6 legs.

I have those things in my house. They are harmless.

I have minipanic attacks whenever I see them. They are evil and thusly are not harmless. Unless, I have a shoe or flip flop in my hand, I tend to flee in the opposite direction.

They are evil. Even cockroaches run away when they see humans. Most of my experiences with house centipedes? They run towards me when I stumble onto them. They are evil.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:18 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Timur's identification is correct. It's a House Centipede. They are very common, at least where I live (New Hampshire).

You wrote that wrong.

Timur's identification is correct. It's a House Centipede. They are monsters, at least where I live (New Hampshire).
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:24 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
They are evil. Even cockroaches run away when they see humans. Most of my experiences with house centipedes? They run towards me when I stumble onto them. They are evil.

I don't think this proves that centipedes are evil. It may prove that humans are evil.

Then again, do cockroaches run away from centipedes?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Then again, do cockroaches run away from centipedes?

If I ever came across that obvious portent to the Apocalypse? Cockroach vs house centipede? I wouldn't hang around the building long enough.

Yes. I know I my fear of these beasts are irrational.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:43 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

You wrote that wrong.

Timur's identification is correct. It's a House Centipede. They are monsters, at least where I live (New Hampshire).

Yes, of course. I originally wrote "monsters", but then spell-check accidentally converted it into "very common" (damn spell-checker). So it's NMF (Not My Fault).
0 Replies