Can anyone identify this indestructible insect?

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:15 am

Our cat mostly takes care of the "bug problems", but this particular thing caught my attention when I saw the cat flee, after an attempted attack. I tried to kill it myself then, without success. I jumped on it with all my 90 kg, but no success; it kept on walking around! I had to use a torch to "finish it off". Closer examination revealed a physiology, which I've not encountered so far. It was yellowish in color, about the size of a thumb-nail and had fly-like, folded wings. The legs reminded more of some weird hybrid between crab and scorpion, than of a fly. Its walking motion on the floor looked more spider-like. Here is a bad picture of its poor half burnt remains.

http://s23.postimg.org/89p8tudej/fly1.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/yim79igx3/fly2.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,848 • Replies: 6

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:49 am
@Disclofenac,
No

However Disc you might get responses asking why don't you search Google for a bug forum. If you're overwhelmed by the suggestion rest assured that I am too

So what the Digital Industry needs is a site devoted specifically to finding the right forum for lazy folk like us

But why destroy the poor creature
timur

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:59 am
@Disclofenac,
Most probably Hippoboscidae
Disclofenac

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks for your answer. First of all, I ended up posting here, since this was the first match google gave me for the query "entomology forum". I just quickly filled in my question and only after my submission I realized that this is not really a specific forum. In any case, there are a lot of knowlegeble folks here and timur below already found my answer! Smile

And it had to be "finished off", since the cat already made it a cripple, so better end it. Razz

Cheers, Disc
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:19 pm
@Disclofenac,
That's a dead bug...it's deceased! It is no MORE!
0 Replies

Disclofenac

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:19 pm
@timur,
Yes timur, that was exactly how it looked. Many thanks for your quick and accurate answer! Smile
timur

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:21 pm
@Disclofenac,
You are welcome.
0 Replies