Ten vocabulary use/grammar/phrasing questions about a medical case report

Aermeth

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 03:00 pm
Hello! I'm helping (again...) check a (different) case report an acquaintance wants to submit to a medical magazine, and there are some things I'd like to ask, if anyone is willing to give a hand? ^-^
Warning: this got... long. I'm so sorry.

1) Would it be incorrect to say "a testicular lesion should raise preoperatively the following diagnostic hypothesis (...blah blah blah...)"?
I changed it to "a testicular lesion should preoperatively raise the following diagnostic hypothesis" because the second one sounded more natural to me, but I'd like to know if the original sentence actually even needs to be corrected.

2) About the following sentence, which describes some ultrasound results: "It was a well-circumscribed nodule with peripheral hyperechoic halo, presenting in a heterogeneous array with a concentric lamellar pattern."
a) Was the term "circumscribed", which I think is supposed to mean "clearly defined" or some such in this context, correctly used?
b) Array VS arrangement - is there a difference? Are there certain situations in which one should be picked over the other? Is "array" used correctly here?

3) Now, this sentence: "These findings were consistent with testicular neoplasm, with imaging characteristics suggesting a (...blah blah...)."
I was wondering, do I need to add a -the- in between "with imaging", making it "...neoplasm, with the imaging characteristics suggesting..." ? I figure it's alright as it is, but I'd like confirmation (or a correction, if I'm wrong xD)

4) Alright, now this: "Scrotal MRI showed a [lesion] with a [thingy] and associated with [another thingy], and with central focus of distinct signal (bull's-eye pattern)."
I will have to ask my acquaintance if the term "signal" is used here as a specific medical term, but I think he might mean something else, since he mentions a bull's-eye pattern...? Which would mean the sentence needs rephrasing... Thoughts?

5) Another sentence: "Considering a benign lesion, the patient underwent an [exam description, more blah blah]".
This looks like a sentence taken straight out of my native language and sounds weird in English to me. I know "considered" can mean "thought of as" or similar, but not when used like this, right? I was going to suggest it be changed into: "Considering it a benign lesion, we had the patient undergo [blah blah blah]". Is this alright or should I cut out "considering" and use another word? And it's better if I change the part about the patient too, right?

6) ...do you know if medical reports avoid using definite and indefinite articles for some reason? I keep seeing sentences that could use one if I really wanted to mess with them, but don't seem to really need it. Like this: "...the cut surface revealed a (...) cavity with membranous wall and a whitish paste-like content was documented." If I'd been writing this myself I'd have written it like "...cavity with a membranous wall.." Idk, should I add it or can I leave it as it is?

7) I don't like this sentence: "Although 85% of cases are diagnosed between the second and fourth decades of life, there are cases described from early childhood to 85 years of age."
I'm not sure if this is right or if there's something wrong with it...

8) ...can i use the word "solitary" to mean "a single one"...? i mean i know it can be used that way, but using it in a sentence like this: "These lesions are usually solitary (...)" sounds so bizarre. Is it just me? I want to use "unilocular" instead, but. Idk. Is it alright as it is?

9)
This sentence: "The (...) ultrasound is the main diagnostic tool (...) and is critical to the suspicion of a [description of this particular type of] cyst."
I'm pretty sure "suspicion" is incorrectly used here but I wanted to check. This phrasing would be acceptable in my native tongue, but I think this literal translation here doesn't work. But please confirm.

10) Aaaand yet another sentence: "Therefore, a (...) MRI it should be performed when considering a diagnosis of a [description of this type of] cyst." I think the -a- is unnecessary there. Am I correct?

...sorry, this is way too long. ^^; Thank you in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 636 • Replies: 0
No top replies