Would you please check my writing? Thank you.

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 11:53 am
There is a story going like this:
Someone asks:"What is the strongest thing in the world?" Responses vary. Some say "the elephant" and some "the lion". Even "King Kong" is mooted in joke. Because no one konws how strong "King Kong" is.
In the end, none of these answers are correct because the it is the plant seeds that are the strongest on earth. A single seed can display such strength as surpass any other things, where comes in a another story.

Human skull is born intensive and sturdy. Physiologists and anatomists adopt all possible means to dissect it with all their mighty, but they failed. Later on, some one devise out of the blue a method that is to plant some seeds into the cranium to be dissected. If administered favorable humidity and temperature, they can, with dreadful power, sprout, crack and separate on the nose the skull which is otherswise unbreakable under physical strength. Such is the strength of plant seeds.

Well, this example is a bit peculiar, common people can't get their head around it. Then, have you ever seen how bamboo shoot grow? Have you seen how grass grow under the rubbles and rocks?

Yearning for the sunlight, the grass seedling must zigzag its way both upward out of the earth and downward into the soil, tenaciously, for its will of living. What the grass demonstrates is an unstoppable force, turning over those stones which weigh upon it. Such is the strength of a seed.

No one would call a grass seedling "Hecules". Yet it does possess an unrivaled strength. This strength, invisible to ordinary people, can manifest itself as long as its life exists. The stones covering the grass is no match for it, for it is an enduring strength of resilience, flexibility, and tenacity, one which is bent on achieving its purpose.

Seeds, which happen to fall into a pile of rubbles rather than fertile soil though, would never sigh for its lot nor feel sorry for themselves because they covert the struggle through the setbacks. Grass seedlings which are born into this struggle for life are tenacious. And it takes the grass of this kind to pride itself in its tenacity in face of those potted ones growing in the glasshouse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 830 • Replies: 12
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 12:29 pm
A good effort. Surely when you discuss it with your professor or teacher the learning process will proceed.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 02:27 pm
@zuotengdazuo,
Zuo pse contact [email protected]
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 04:35 pm
@zuotengdazuo,
Zuo, don't be scared, it ain't Spam. I'm writing a Letter to the Editor of our excellent Victorville Ca Daily Press in which I address your concern with your writing
zuotengdazuo

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:35 pm
@dalehileman,
Thank you for your effort, dalehileman.
0 Replies

zuotengdazuo

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:45 pm
@dalehileman,
So you have checked my writing in a letter?
McGentrix

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 09:10 pm
@zuotengdazuo,
Yeah, so it's Superman.
zuotengdazuo

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 09:35 pm
@McGentrix,
Hmm? Sorry I don't quite follow.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 09:39 pm
@zuotengdazuo,
Sorry. I was playing with the actual writing, not critiquing it.

What is the strongest thing in the world? - Superman...

Otherwise the imagery was just fine.
zuotengdazuo

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 10:04 pm
@McGentrix,
Oh, haha. So could you correct my writing?
McGentrix

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 10:54 pm
@zuotengdazuo,
I am a terrible editor or critic. The only advice I I can offer is figure out the "tone" you want to use. Are you trying to be poetic, insightful, referential, colloquial... that will determine the vocabulary used for your topic.

zuotengdazuo

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 12:42 am
@McGentrix,
Thank you for your advice. This writing is a translation of a Chinese prose, which is not written by me. The tone of original text is a bit poetic and insightful.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 12:33 pm
@zuotengdazuo,
Quote:
So you have checked my writing in a letter?
Si Duo
0 Replies