Please, I'm asking for proofreading.

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2017 02:23 pm
I'm writing a slightly formal essay,
please tell me what sentences I should rewrite.
Thank you.

Opinion paragraph : Success in life comes from taking risks.

I am against the statement that success in life comes from taking risks. There are three main reasons to support my opinion. To begin with, unlike taking risks, a long-term planning helps a person work more effectively. That is to say, a thoughtful planning helps the planner sort out his priority, hence it is no doubt easier for him to achieve the goal. Secondly, a risk-taker does not have a tendency to analyze his goal like an ambitious planner does. They do not possess an explicit goal. This results in necessity of waiting for a perfect condition to seize an occasional opportunity. The final reason, risk-takers tend to take chances and time for granted. This leads to the lack of time management. I personally know some risk-takers who only prefer waiting for chances and thus have difficulty managing their time. They therefore end up being disappointed with failures. From reasons discussed above, it is clear that success in life does not come from taking risks. It comes from meticulous planning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 690 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2017 03:17 pm
@Abducens,
Your last 2 sentences can be combined as 1.

Therefore, it is clear that success in life does not come from taking risks, it comes from meticulous planning.

or - Therefore, it is clear that success in life does not come from taking risks; rather, it comes from meticulous planning.

Your second sentence would be better written as: There are three reasons which support my opinion.

or - These are the three reasons which support my opinion

(since you only offer 3 reasons, the use of the word 'main' is just taking up space. If you have an additional paragraph showing your lesser reasons; then write: These are the three main reasons which support my opinion)

In your sentence, 'I personally know some risk takers..."

Drop the word personally, it is superfluous. Rewrite I know some risk takers...
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2017 03:40 pm
Quote:
a long-term planning helps a person work more effectively. That is to say, a thoughtful planning helps the planner sort out his priority, hence it is no doubt easier for him to achieve the goal.

1. Change "a ... planning" to either "a plan", or (more likely) "planning".
2. Consider gender-inclusive language. "His", "him" exclude women.
3. Remove "no doubt".

0 Replies