Tacky Potluck Birthday

MonJay

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 02:53 am
Am I wrong to feel upset by this? I got an email invite to a surprise birthday party for my husband's boss. It was sent by the boss' wife and the party will be held at their big acreage home. Only AFTER I said we're coming, she emailed back and said it is going to be potluck and told me to bring a certain dish. We were planning to bring a gift, but now that it's potluck, are we to provide a dish AND a gift? The boss is in his fifties. (BTW, a few years ago, we invited his whole family to my husband's milestone birthday dinner party at my home. I did not ask my guests to bring anything. Everyone, except for the boss and his family, brought a birthday gift for my husband. ) Am I wrong to think this is so tacky and rude and not want to go anymore? However, I'm thinking we'll go, for my husband's sake, and bring a dish and skip the gift. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

roger

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 03:00 am
@MonJay,
I think you have everything worked out. I would also be resentful.
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 09:48 am
@MonJay,
Yeah it is tacky --- but sometimes there is little you can do about it -- especially after the fact that they said it was potluck. I guess it would be one thing if you stated ahead of time it is potluck (but to me then it should be a very casual type party). And to top it off - requesting a special item for you to bring.

Here would be a funny -- make the potluck item - but make it really bad - no one would ever ask you do bring something again.

How about a really tacky (but cheap gift) - an over the hill gift from the dollar tree?

Tough though as he is your husband boss - sometimes you just gotta suck it up.

I would suggest the same though - no gift or something very small since you are bringing food.
ekename

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 08:40 pm
@MonJay,
Here's what you do:

You go to the party with your pot luck food and your present, you have a pleasant time and then you come home.

No reason to be upset.

I'm thinking a delicious casserole, what are you thinking of making?
MonJay

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 07:16 pm
@roger,
Thank you for your understanding and support!
0 Replies

MonJay

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 07:19 pm
@Linkat,
Thank you for your great ideas and suggestions!
0 Replies

MonJay

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 07:27 pm
@ekename,
Thank you, I will try to have a pleasant time but it's hard when you're upset. I had explained some of the reasons for being upset.

A casserole would be nice, but I am told to bring a certain dish. Her and her family has a various of diet restrictions.
ekename

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 09:32 pm
@MonJay,
So not potluck lol gl
roger

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 09:56 pm
@ekename,
Right. It's no potluck when you have to bring a particular dish.
0 Replies