Taxes and the self-employed

roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:14 pm
There is a form SS-8, which sounds like a Social Security Admin form, used to determine who is an employee. It can be submitted by either the employer or employee. I haven't seen it, but you can probably dig it up, knowing the form number.

Detailing how the duties are performed are only one criterion. All must be met for you to be an independent contractor. If they tell you how many bricks must be laid before they pay you, you may be a contractor. If they tell you what day and time to start, I believe you are an employee - if you want to push it.

If you are an employee, they should have been withholding income and payroll taxes every pay period. They haven't, so could be subject to penalties and interest as well as back payroll taxes. The income tax is still your responsibility, of course, so any relief you eventually get is going to be limited. As a practical matter, you are soon likely to be seeking employment.

Do you know Peace & Love? She may be current on these issues and able to give you more off the top of her head than I could in a week of research. You might try the old PM.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:16 pm
Yep, that all sounds like what I've found out. I'll look for the ss-8 form
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:11 pm
Thats great to go forward with but, you still have the last year to deal with, unfortunately.
Get a great accountant for this year at least Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:24 pm
Or maybe a lawyer
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:25 pm
Shocked

taxes make ya nuts, I know...all too well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:25 pm
mmmm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 06:07 am
Good luck with it, MsK.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 09:17 am
Thanks Bethie