N.D. Women Put 'Art Bras' on Display

Col Man

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:08 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from Human Interest Stories to Art.

Link : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041105/ap_on_fe_st/bra_art&e=4

WILLISTON, N.D. - Bras are out of the closet here, and women have turned them into art. Sixteen "art bras" are on display through Sunday at the James Memorial Visual Art Center near downtown. The bras are embellished with everything from shiny black beads to Scrabble letters.

"We got a charge out of each and every one of them," said Alma Ritter, of Williston, who took in the display this week.

Ritter remembers the time when a woman's "unmentionables" were modestly hung to dry on an inside clothesline, out of sight. Times have changed.

Now, Ritter said, any way to raise awareness of women's health and the importance of an annual breast exam is good.

The show is sponsored by the Dakota Prairie Quilt Guild in Williston. The guild bought an assortment of bras on clearance and invited its 70 members to turn them into art.

Kathy Johnson, a quilting instructor who works at Sylvia's Quilt and Sew in Williston, said she got the idea for a local show from a national art bra tour and a calendar in a quilting magazine.

Johnson said four members of the quilt guild are breast cancer survivors.

"We're aware of it in our group," she said.

For $1, a person can vote for a favorite art bra. The money goes to the Nelson Family Cancer Center in Williston.

One woman decked the cups of a bra with glittery knitted breast warmers, adding bits of fur and leather. She called it "A Montana Girl's Winter Bra."

Another decorated one cup with the word "boo" and the other with the word "bees."

One woman covered the cups in concentric circles to remind women how to conduct their own monthly exams. Another attached a cloth hand to the cup, inviting women to "cop a feel" every month.

Art center director Mary Olson said the show has brought smiles, despite its serious purpose.

"People think it's just as fun as can be," she said. "It's clever."

Johnson said the art bras will be displayed at the shop for the rest of the month. Then, they may go on tour to other quilt shows and to nearby Watford City, when the local hospital brings in the mammogram bus next month.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,730 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:45 pm
Hmm, this reminds me of a sculpture I heard about a friend's sister making out of - wait for it, ladies - shoulder pad inserts. I can't tell any more about it since I didn't see it and don't remember a description. I do remember thinking it was a dumb idea at the time. Now I think it's a great idea, especially as I would have enough of them by now to make my own sculpture if only I'd saved the wretched things.

edit to improve my spelling of the word sculpture
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:53 pm
Art as over the shoulder boulder holders.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:05 pm
Blindingly balder shoulder boulder holders behaving boldly...
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:38 am
Speaking of bras.....

I was thumbing through the 2004 Christmas Edition of Victoria's Secret today and came across the creme de la creme of undergarments extraordinaire!

"THE FANTASY BRA, inspired by the Victoria's Secret Angels Collection , this masterpiece of rapturous design, exquisite jewels and unique vision gives new meaning to the word heavenly. For this exquisite creation Mouawad transformed 2900 pave' set diamonds into a one of a kind design as dazzling and as ethereal as an angel's wings. At the center lies an exquisite 70 carat pear shaped flawless diamond set in 18kt white gold adorned with wings for a total weight of 112 carats. Since 1890 Mouawad has created some of the most breathtaking jewelry in the world, including custom designs for many royal families. Over 275 hours of craftsmanship went into the making of the 2004 Fantasy Bra, rendering it one of the most labor intensive creations Victoria's Secret has ever showcased."

And it can be yours for a mere 10 million US Dollars.

I gotta admit though....it is beautiful!!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:19 am
This reminds me of a sculpture of sorts I saw once -- displayed at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, no less -- which gave me pause. From a distance it looked like an armored breastplate, ancient, perhaps bronze, from some empire of ancient days. Vaguely Greek or Etruscan looking. Up close it became clear that the whole production was cobbled dogether from rolled up condoms.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:10 pm
Laughing That is too funny! One for the ladies and one for the guys perhaps? Very Happy
0 Replies

pandatory pandamonium

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 08:33 pm
that is really clever... speaking of condom art... when i was in germany there was billboards every where of condoms used to make the shapes of gummy bears, butterflys, microphones and such and they would all say "... Machts mit" or translated to makes me... i thought it was a funny creative way to promote safe sex!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:49 pm
Welcome to a2k, panda. Makes sense to me...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:46 am
Not to put too fine a point on it, but "machts mit" would translate as "made with", not "make me." Welcome to the Loony bin, Panda!
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:02 pm
What a wonderful way to use art to inspire amuse and raise money for worthy cause!

Rather like the various cities who've raised money by having artists create and then display: Cows in NYC and Chicago; Pigs in Seattle; I think they did sailfish or marlin (are they the same?) in a town in Florida and here in San Francisco, we left our hearts all over town! You can check out some of the wonderful pieces that were auctioned off in support of SF General Hospital programs at
http://www.heartsinsf.com/project.html
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:00 am
they do dogs in Sydney - for the blind society.
They are based on the big donation boxes that used to exist in the shape of a labrador.
0 Replies

sewquilt

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:43 pm
North Dakota - Art Bra's
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our Art Bra's we made in the "My Cup Runneth Over" challenge. Everyone had a great time making them! I never thought the publicity would extend beyond our own community. We are thrilled that our little project has touched other lives and hopefully helped to extend them as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:21 pm
Hello, Sewquilt, welcome to A2K - yes, we found your show enjoyable.

This reminds me, there is a good quilt show going on right now at our local university gallery, The First Street Gallery, which represents artists from Humboldt State University. I'll be back if I can find a link to that show.
0 Replies