The Case of Bill Nye...

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 08:48 pm
@Krumple,
I recall Almost Live . Nye would come on in a lb coat and do just sily inane "experiments" that generally never worked or were just simple minded and hed make it sound like it was big time science. Bill Nye then got on David Lettermn and the rest was history.

It all pretty much started as a goof didnt it?

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 05:15 am
Headline from this morning's 'News Feed':
Quote:
PSA: Do Not put grease on your brakes to stop them from squealing

It's come to this...
McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 06:51 am
@farmerman,
I wonder how many kids gained an interest in science and pursued a career in science based on the Bill Nye show?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 07:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Hell, if you go to the supermarket and buy a SARAN wrapped bunch of fireplace logs (no ****, they sell this). On the label it says ,
"CAUTION CONTENTS FLAMMABLE"
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 04:20 pm
@farmerman,
I've seen that. Girlfriend lives on 20 wooded acres and she still buys those things for the fireplace. I mentioned how crazy this was so she bought some fire starter bricks (with the same warning) so she could burn some free wood instead. I had a hell of a time getting the fire starters lit.
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 05:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Cardboard egg boxes or coffee carriers place one on the hearth and cover with kindling (the thinner the better). start the fire with a birthday candle (lit and let it lie sideways on the carrier. Also, Georgia Fatwood is sold by LL Beans . These are little kindling pine root splints and they start a fire with about 4 splints. Ill take those in a pack whenever I have to hike into a work site up in the hills. Sometimes I have to camp over because a pump may need some attention and Ill have to direct a crew. Fatwood is super for backpack fire kits

OR, better yet, get a pack of Green Mountain fireplace logs and place one in a bunch of full sized real logs. Light the Green Mountain log with a match at each end (Its a waxed paper cover. It gives a nice fire quickly. I buy them by the box of 12 and use them on the holidays when I dont wanna screw around tending aa fireplace .

I like the warning they put on moth balls "DO NOT EAT"
McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 09:20 pm
@farmerman,
Fatwood is definitely good stuff. If you want cheaper and also good, Vaseline soaked cotton balls are good.
0 Replies