Jurors Who Convicted Marijuana Grower Seek New Trial

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
Jurors Who Convicted Marijuana Grower Seek New Trial

By DEAN E. MURPHY

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 4 — In an unusual show of solidarity with the man they convicted last week, five jurors in the trial of a medicinal marijuana advocate issued a public apology to him today and demanded that the judge grant him a new trial.
The jurors said they had been unaware that the defendant, Ed Rosenthal, was growing marijuana for medicinal purposes, allowed since 1996 under California State law, when they convicted him on three federal counts of cultivation and conspiracy. He is to be sentenced in June and faces a minimum of five years in prison.
What do you think of this miscarriage of justice? Should the judge have
barred Mr. Rosenthal's defense from mentioning the state law because he was indicted under federal law, which does not allow the growing of marijuana for any purpose? What should take precedence State or federal law?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/05/national/05POT.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,918 • Replies: 22
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:23 am
Nothing quite like an "informed" and "intelligent" jury! Shocked
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:25 am
This is the most ludicrous Ashcroft stunt to date. This show exactly how far the Bush Administration will go to show it's total disregard to the will of the people. We are entering a total totalitarian state unless the people rise-now!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:27 am
Extract from your link shows he was tried in federal court. Wouldn't federal law have to follow, and the verdict depend on the facts?

"The judge in the case, Judge Charles R. Breyer of Federal District Court, had barred Mr. Rosenthal's defense from mentioning the state law because he was indicted under federal law, which does not allow the growing of marijuana for any purpose."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:27 am
How could they never have been advised of these details? What the hell was that guy's lawyer doing?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:30 am
What was the Judge doing? Question
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:38 am
roger

But that is the question what should take precedence? State or federal law? Can the federal government override state law?
As to the question where was his lawyer, the judge evidentially did not allow that information to be presented.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:48 am
http://examiner.com/warren_hinckle/default.jsp?story=n.hinckle.0123w

A prejudicial judge?
BY WARREN HINCKLE
Examiner Associate Editor
AT 8:40 LAST NIGHT, I had the last interview with Ed Rosenthal, I guess.
If U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer sticks to his judicial guns, he will issue a gag order Thursday barring the defendant from talking to the likes of me.
I spoke with Rosenthal on Wednesday night at his home in Oakland. Let the condemned man in this absurdist federal pot trial -- in which the robed judge is ever day morphing more into a nonsense character out of Godot -- have his last words:
…………………..

Oakland officials were lined up to testify that Rosenthal only did what they asked him to do under state law. But Breyer wouldn't let them testify.
The federal judge forbade the jury from even hearing that California law approved of what Rosenthal was doing.
This myopic judge -- no Learned Hand, he -- insisted that the only thing presented to the jury was that Rosenthal grew some pot plants.
I have covered civil rights cases in the deep South in the frenetic '60s and seen your usual demonstrer busted for walking across a sidewalk treated with more fairness and civility by Southern judges than Judge Breyer has shown the accused pot fiend Rosenthal.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:50 am
You'll have to ask a lawyer about that, au. Certainly, the state cannot be required to enforce federal law, but this was in a federal court.

I don't like this application of the law either, by the way. Change the law.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 11:08 am
roger
Change the Law. That has about as much chance as a snowball in hell with this congress and administration. Can you see the religious right ever going for that change of law. And the bible say's don't smoke pot. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 11:12 am
What happened to "States Rights" - what a hypocrisy this administration represents!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 11:14 am
or covet thy neighbors pot
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:17 pm
In a federal court, if there are both federal and state laws which cover the same circumstance, federal law prevails.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:22 pm
jespah
Why than should a state pass laws that are basically meaningless.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:35 pm
au1929 wrote:
roger
Change the Law. That has about as much chance as a snowball in hell with this congress and administration. Can you see the religious right ever going for that change of law. And the bible say's don't smoke pot. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Right. Okay, blame the courts for enforcing the law.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:06 pm
roger
The law says you are to be judged by a jury of your peers. Do you think that jury would have convicted if they had been told the entire truth. The scales of justice I would say were out of balance.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:18 pm
OH! So what you really want to discuss is jury nullification?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:30 pm
Roger the article was about a jury who wanted someone who they convicted retried. Why because the verdict would never have guilty if all the facts were known. Facts that the judge would not allow to be made known
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:40 pm
I understand what the article was about, really I do. The fact that the federal crime was not a crime under state law is simply not relevant to a federal case. I do not think you want to understand that, but there it is. Had they acquited based on this information, it would have been a case of jury nullification. That is why I asked if you were wanting to discuss nullification.

Maybe the defendant should ask for a retrial. He would at least have standing in the matter. I do not believe the jury does.

Okay, you do not like the way the law was applied. Neither do I, which is a statement I have already made.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:50 pm
Well, with all due respect to the various points of view here, I humbly suggest Mr. Rosenthal may have some basis for an appeal. At least I hope so! This is the war on drugs run amok...
0 Replies