MPAA to send GOP lobbyist to DC

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:05 pm
New top gun coming to town:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23584-2004Nov3.html?referrer=email
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 991 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:17 am
Thanks for posting that link. If there's anyone more nefarious than politicians, it's lobbyists (they're really politicians after all if you think about it).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:52 pm
That's true as far as it goes, Wizard. Unfortunately, the way things are structured these days lobbyists become a necessary evil. With the Shrub back in the saddle for another four years, I can see where the motion picture industry needs someone in Washington to insure that an actor saying "Damn" on the silver screen doesn't result in official government consorship of the picture. That's where I see us heading these days. Have you noticed that 'family values' is out these days and 'moral values' is in?

I suppose I should've posted this under Politics instead of Film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:47 pm
I don't know if we would have to worry so far as being thrust back pre-"Gone With the Wind." The government know quite well no matter how may Medievalist are in their ranks that there's no hope for them to turn back the clock on censorship even with a conservative Supreme Court. Each party has to garner that independent party vote and this time it didn't go to Nader but to Bush. This election was hardly a mandate and especially not on the issue of censoring Hollywood movies. Ashcroft isn't resigning for just family reasons and more than Tenet resigned for family reasons.

Yes, this is possibly not really a Film/Entertainment issue but in the grounding of very important films who are able to freely express sexual issues, it has to do with the intellectual content of movies. It's when they used sex and violence as gratuitous entertainment where I am sometimes offended. But it's not the sex and violence, it's that it's a crappy movie.

The issues of the tax code and privitization of Social Security is not going to shake the Earth and Dubya's legacy will no doubt not be just four years of mediocrity but now eight years of mediocrity.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:21 pm
I understand that Michael Moore has a website with some facetious stuff on it. I can't seem to find it. Somebody showed me a printout from the site which, tonge-in-cheek, gives some 20 reasons why there's no need to despair about the late election. The first one was that it's very comforting to know that in four years it will be illegal for Bush to run again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:44 pm
http://www.michaelmoore.com/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:54 pm
Bill Maher is right in what he said on Larry King -- Bush should be re-elected to clean up his own mess. Whether he will piss away the chance remains to be seen but I'm not hopeful. I'm afraid it's going to be like Murphy's Law Cheer up, things could be worse. So I cheered up and, sure enough, things got worse.
0 Replies