“will be exploring” or “will have explored”

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 10:06 am
I have a question about the future continuous and the future perfect. In this sentence: Probably by the time you read this I will have unpacked, and I ________ the town before it gets too dark. Is it correct to write "will be exploring"? Or is it "will have explored"? Thank you Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,596 • Replies: 4
No top replies

centrox

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 10:53 am
@Raul Moreno,
Both of your alternatives are acceptable, depending what you want to say.
Either you will be exploring, or you will have finished exploring, at the time the recipient reads it.
0 Replies

Bazza6

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 08:36 pm
@Raul Moreno,
Probably, by the time you read this, I will have unpacked and explored the town before it got too dark.

"I will have..." so the 'will have is 'understood' in 'will have explored'.

Probably, by the time you read this, I will have unpacked and be exploring the town before it gets too dark.

'be exploring' : change of verb from 'will have explored' so we need to use 'BE exploring'.
0 Replies

VikramSidhu

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 01:08 am
@Raul Moreno,
It depends upon the phrase you want to say if you wanted to tell them that you will explored the town before it's too late then it should be "will be explored" or if you wanted to tell them that you will be exploring then that should be used.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2019 10:02 am
@VikramSidhu,
Don't try to advise anyone else on English until you sort your own out. It's pretty **** btw.
0 Replies