Would you do it all over again?

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 10:27 am
Would you do it all over again?

In the Woody Allen movie, "Hannah and Her Sisters" the Woody Allen character has a spiritual crisis and go shopping, literally, for a new religion. He cites Nietzsche who, he claims, said that when we die we are reborn and live our lives over and over again exactly the same way. Woody says he wouldn't want to "not if I have to sit through the ice capades again".

So, what would you do if you were about to die and some great power said to choose whether you want to be born again and and live your life over again exactly the same way or else just die?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,681 • Replies: 26

chai2

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:42 am
I'd just die.

I don't like to watch repeats.
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:46 am
@coluber2001,
Would I know that I'm living it over again?
Sturgis

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:47 am
Although the idea is somewhat tempting, there are too many dreadful moments which I'd rather not encounter ever again...even if some were beneficial to me in the long run.

So, no, I would not want to relive it. Let me die, disband and disintegrate.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:53 am
@tibbleinparadise,
No, you wouldn't know.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:05 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
all over again?
Oh hell yes, Luber

Quote:
again exactly the same way
Admittedly Col, wish 'd better parents
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:05 pm
I would do it, because, even in the face of the horrible times, my will to live did not waver.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yea Ed, and besides old age can be fa fabulous
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 01:59 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
Woody says he wouldn't want to "not if I have to sit through the ice capades again".

In case anyone was wondering (as I was), it turns out that The Ice Capades were travelling (British spelling) entertainment shows featuring theatrical performances involving ice skating. Shows often featured former Olympic and US National Champion figure skaters who had retired from amateur competition. Started in 1940, the Ice Capades grew rapidly and prospered for 50 years. A decline in popularity ensued in the 1980s, and the show went out of business around 1995. There have been several attempts to revive the show and its name. I guess Allen intends them to epitomise dullness. I have been made to go to a few ice shows, and I did notice that most, if not all of the lady participants had nice legs, and the costumes helped you realise this.

[Update] I think they were aware of this (promotional illustration for the 1965 Ice Capades)...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/The_Ballerina.jpg/225px-The_Ballerina.jpg
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 02:34 pm
@coluber2001,
Then I guess it wouldn't really matter if I didn't know, it would be an original experience
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 03:19 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
Id do pretty much the way Ive done it. ALTHOUGH;

1. I would NOT EVER have been a boy scout. They were silly, and a quasi militaristic buncha brownshirts in my state.I woulda joined the civil air patrol much earlier(more girls were in that nd they were fun )

2. Probably I should have made better % deals with my client resource companies for higher revenue splits . nuff said

3. The only other things are that Id have bought only John Deere Tractors fromthe beginning

4We definately woulda had 2 more kids.

5. AND I woulda never married that first wife, the Bitch of Buchenwald.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 03:44 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

No, you wouldn't know.

Then how do we know we're not all already doing it?

I have a strong will to live and at this point life is good. However, and especially if I didn't know I'd been through this before, I love myself too much to make me go through it again.

Re the best times? Once was enough. No need to be a glutton
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 03:23 am
@coluber2001,
There is no power over a cyclic algorithmic Reality/Universe.
Its not like we can chose.
If it is rational it has size.
If time must be a non fundamental phenomena to avoid the trap of assuming nothingness then a cyclic nature of Nature is Necessary.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 09:48 am
I admit this was kind of a crappy question. It's just that I have thought about the subject myself. My life has been like a soccer game that has lasted for 73 years, and the score is still nothing to nothing. They're playing by Yogi Berra's baseball rules: it ain't over until it's over. Not to say there haven't been exciting moments, but for a viewer it would be extremely boring. Would I care to do it all over again? Another 73 years of scoreless soccer? Forget it!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:03 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
tibbleinparadise wrote:

Would I know that I'm living it over again?

Yep.
1. Are we reliving the same life?
2. Are we aware of what occurred in our previous attempt?
3. How many do-overs do we have?
Laughing Wink

I'd be game to risk it either way: a reboot of my old life or the traditional reincarnation into a new life.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
1) How can we, since there are daily advances or setbacks in technology and other things?
So it may be similar, highly improbable to be an exact duplicate...unless this is all a gargantuan hallucination.

2)Nope.

3) Nobody seems to know, if they do, they ain't saying.

Keep in mind, tsarstepan, the above applies only to mere mortals, not Shirley MacLaine.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:33 pm
@Sturgis,
Once you know the experiment, its already changed and therefore never the same. Sort of like Advanced queues.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:44 pm

"If I had another chance
I’d do it just the same
Just wouldn’t do it
With you"
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:46 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

1) How can we, since there are daily advances or setbacks in technology and other things?
So it may be similar, highly improbable to be an exact duplicate...unless this is all a gargantuan hallucination.

2)Nope.

3) Nobody seems to know, if they do, they ain't saying.

Keep in mind, tsarstepan, the above applies only to mere mortals, not Shirley MacLaine.

One of the main reasons I truly hate these philosophy threads on a2k? Too many philosophy forum heavies (they know who they are) take them as pure science questions and answer them so... earnestly.

My answer is basically a silly bit enveloped by a suspension of disbelief (a rolling with the idea cuz it might be fun to pretend).

Shirley MacLaine has lived in lives that predate the bloody universe. Didn't Stephen Hawking, Einstein, and Aristotles prove that already? Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yep. It was just a suppose question, meant in fun.
0 Replies