dealer maintenance

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:25 pm
i'm considering scheduling a 45000 mile service for my nissan pathfinder which i'm in the process of selling (it has 47000 miles) as recommended by nissan - does this add any useful or needed value to the vehicle or is a waste of money? thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 859 • Replies: 2
No top replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
At the risk of sounding vague, it depends on your target owner. Folks like me who are experienced mechanics are eager to buy un-maintained rides since we know it can be done in an afternoon by our own hands. Less mechanically inclined buyers want to see impeccable service records. For instance, I'm selling a 1987 BMW convertible. I chose not to do the scheduled valve adjustment before I sold since BMW owners like to use their own shops or their own labor so they have better confidence in their vehicle.

Since you're dealing with a nissan, my guess is that the cost of the maintenance will be more than offset by the selling price. In general (and its a vague generalization), Nissan Pathfinder buyers are not mechanics, so they might appreciate the maintenance being done.

I suggest that you research other forms of getting the maintenance done. Taking it to the dealer is almost always the most expensive option, but scheduled vehicle maintenance is pretty universal. You can also save some money by buying the parts yourself at your local chain parts store. Take the truck to an independent service place you trust and they'll only charge you labor. If they have to buy the parts sometimes there is a premium price associated with them since they have to hire a driver to go buy the parts; or have the parts store deliver them. In this situation, its best to get printed estimates so you can compare their part prices with what you can get at the local parts store.
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
I think that is probably true about Nissan Pathfinder buyers/owners, though I wonder why that is. Confused I probably fall more into that category than not. I've had generally good experiences with the dealer, though I have wondered if I have paid too much. In the grand scheme of maintenance, it has come to less than $50 a month, but with larger services left to come, this amount is subject to increase. In the past, after having routine services at a local shop, I was left with a rattle in my exhaust system and the bottom cover of my vehicle not fully secured; so I ended up taking the car to a dealer who knew my car to get this fixed. If what you say is true, and even a new buyer would likely not be that mechanical, it seems probably best off just getting it done with the dealer who I feel comfortable with.
0 Replies