what is Anti art,non art ?

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:17 am
Art / Anti-Art is a satirical response to artistic relativism, a belief shared by your mum, your first-grade teacher, and perhaps even yourself, that says something to the effect of "everything is art (has artistic merit), and there's no such thing as good or bad art, since it's all in 'the eyes of the beholder'. just embrace art for what it is
what are your views and thoughts on it? what has it done?
and what do you consider to be the purpose of art? has the antiart movement changed this? and have i explained it correctly? or is there another explaination?
Duchamp was considered one of the first to start this up can sumone explain to me what he did ?

who were the dadaists?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 836 • Replies: 8
No top replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 01:50 pm
"DaDa is beautiful like the night, who cradles the young day in her arms." - Hans Arp

"DADA speaks with you, it is everything, it envelops everything, it belongs to every religion, can be neither victory or defeat, it lives in space and not in time." - Francis Picabia

"Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
One of the best books written on the subject was 'Dada art and Anti-art' by Hans Richter. Anyway, a two second Google search turned up this list of Dada artists, most of who I am familiar with: http://www.peak.org/~dadaist/English/Graphics/artists.html
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:57 am
yes there is a whole host of books and things on the web you can read about Dadaism... you just have to do it MaximumDefiance.
Memoirs of a Dada Drummer by Richard HUELSENBECK is an interesting read.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:38 am
When it comes to judging art, you have to incorporate the classics:
Balance, composition, color harmony, line quality, etc.
To asses the visual attributes or the lack thereof.

Then you have to adress the work on the interactive level, as you would a book of fiction: Is this depiction good/interesting? Does it bring up good/interesting subjects? Does it mentally sustain us?
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:45 am
there could be "anti-art" supporters who think that all those things are not really important, and that is what they believe in.

There was an exhibition at a gallery in Sydney a good year ago called my four year old could do better or something like this... the proceeds going to the Children's Hospital - but it was "art" done by children. Some of it was better than some of the more serious attempts by some people.

Perhaps this is "antiart" in practice?
Maybe a Dadaist would shake his head in horror and dispell it...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:52 am
benconservato wrote:
there could be "anti-art" supporters who think that all those things are not really important, and that is what they believe in.

There was an exhibition at a gallery in Sydney a good year ago called my four year old could do better or something like this... the proceeds going to the Children's Hospital - but it was "art" done by children. Some of it was better than some of the more serious attempts by some people.

Perhaps this is "antiart" in practice?
Maybe a Dadaist would shake his head in horror and dispell it...

I didn't say that you had to go along with those qualities, only asess them. Maybe the four year old art is interesting because it breaks all the rules. Maybe they did something fantastically different with color. Maybe they showed us some aspect of themselves that we could have never guessed without such communication.

Think of it from a scientific point of view: if you can break the rules, the rules were wrong in the first place.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:11 pm
Re: what is Anti art,non art ?
MaximumDefiance wrote:
Art / Anti-Art is a satirical response to artistic relativism, a belief shared by your mum, your first-grade teacher, and perhaps even yourself, that says something to the effect of "everything is art (has artistic merit), and there's no such thing as good or bad art, since it's all in 'the eyes of the beholder'. just embrace art for what it is
what are your views and thoughts on it? what has it done?
and what do you consider to be the purpose of art? has the antiart movement changed this? and have i explained it correctly? or is there another explaination?
Duchamp was considered one of the first to start this up can sumone explain to me what he did ?

who were the dadaists?

I wondered about the dadaists myself. Are they saying everything is art? I don't know. However, I would say that everything natural is art. This statement is congruent with the artists who, for example, dye icebergs red or put cloth fences around islands, etc. The idea here is to draw attention to nature by framing it or contrasting it, similar to the experience of walking in a field and seeing a flower. The contrast is what attracts our attention.

One could put a frame around a wildflower and call it art. Incidentally, the colorful flower's raison d'etre is simply to contrast with the environment and attract the pollinator's attention. Insects are the normal pollinators but humans because of aesthetics have benefitted flowers greatly by propagating them. So you could say that the flower is making itself into art for its own advantage. That plants have used people to propagate them by making themselves attractive is a form of utilitarian or exploitive art.

I have been reading Irving Stone's "Dear Theo," Van Gogh's letters to his brother. Early on in his artistic career Van Gogh made these comments to Theo regarding the purpose of art in relation to nature: "Try to walk as much as you can, and keep your love for nature, for that is the true way to understand art more and more. Painters understand nature and love her and teach us to see her. If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere."

And: "...the feeling for things themselves, for reality, is more important than the feeling for pictures; at least it is more fertile and vital."

Welcome to A2K, Maximumdefiance. You're type questions are what keeps the site vital.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:07 pm
thank you Coluber - I am personally going to search out that book.
0 Replies