Voyager 1 theories?

dre0017

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:17 am
I wonder what is happening or has happened to the Voyager 1 in the interstellar medium.
Its fascinating for me to think what it could be witnessing in the interstellar.

Anyone got any theories on what is going on to the Voyager 1?

Note: Im just a sophomore, so I don't know allot about physics, only the basics.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 859 • Replies: 14

maxdancona

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:07 am
@dre0017,
From Wikipedia...

Quote:
Voyager 1 will reach the Oort cloud in about 300 years[77][78] and take about 30,000 years to pass through it.[60][71] Though it is not heading towards any particular star, in about 40,000 years, it will pass within 1.6 light-years of the star Gliese 445, which is at present in the constellation Camelopardalis.[79] That star is generally moving towards the Solar System at about 119 km/s (430,000 km/h; 270,000 mph).[79] NASA says that "The Voyagers are destined—perhaps eternally—to wander the Milky Way."[80]

Provided Voyager 1 does not collide with anything and is not retrieved, the New Horizons space probe will never pass it, despite being launched from Earth at a faster speed than either Voyager spacecraft. New Horizons is traveling at about 15 km/s, 2 km/s slower than Voyager 1, and is still slowing down. When New Horizons reaches the same distance from the Sun as Voyager 1 is now, its speed will be about 13 km/s (8 mi/s).[81]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1#Future_of_the_probe
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:16 am
@dre0017,
This is the plot of both Star Trek: The Motion Picture and the TOS episode, The Changeling (in TOS, the probe was called Nomad).
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:21 am
@jespah,
It will mate with an old 57 chevy thats been jettisoned in spce. What would its progeny b called
Krumple

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

It will mate with an old 57 chevy thats been jettisoned in spce. What would its progeny b called

Choyager?

Voyevy?

A car with great gas milage?

Its SO off-road it went interstellar?

Its out of this world?

It only gets one AM radio station, NASA.

The first Chevy that runs on nuclear power.

The only Chevy that will never be recalled.

Some future lucky alien will get a free car.

Well now we know how to liter in the universe.

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 07:28 am
@Krumple,
ET, you've just won a NEW CAR!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 08:59 am
@Krumple,
I guestimate this "chevy" will be retrieved eventually. Out of shame...
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
itll still be floating out there long after the jettisoned Rovers have all disintegrated
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:23 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
The only Chevy that will never be recalled
brilliant!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 07:29 pm
Dog will punish us 'cause we put a dirty pik-chur on it . . .

http://www.astronomygcse.co.uk/AstroGCSE/New%20Site/Topic%202/plaque_voyager.jpg
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 07:44 pm
@farmerman,
It has a fair chance of surviving human kind...
...if we get past lvl zero civilization then we will retrieve it back home.
The silly gold placard with the solar system map and the human shape are enough reason to take it back. Not because someone will stomp on it but just because it was bad thinking nonetheless...

...still proud of the bloody toaster anyway. Let her get deep into the Oort Cloud before we go get her back.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:19 pm
@dre0017,
I expect things are pretty uneventful for Voyager I. Just a lot of quiet cold nothing. The view must be nice but doesn't change much. Just our sun in the distance getting slowly smaller and dimmer until it will someday be indistinguishable from the other stars.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:20 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
we put a dirty pik-chur on it

Yeah, you can see her boobies and her hoo-ha! Not to mention his naughty bits as well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
The silly gold placard with the solar system map and the human shape are enough reason to take it back. Not because someone will stomp on it but just because it was bad thinking nonetheless...

what would you have done were you were assigned to address the Project Direction Committee's directive to assume that , someday, Voyager would be intercepted by aliens, and we would want to communicate toexplain in as simple a fashion , what we are about??
Its easy to sit back , more than 40 years on, with technology advanced well beyond that of the 1976 "Build horizon" and smugly criticize .
I love it when our abilities to critique are developed solely from the newspapers by Monday morning Qbacks.
Izzat one of the benefits that only philosophers are able to futz with?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 07:57 am
@farmerman,
You misunderstood I am not blaming. Bad ideas happen to the best ...I just say we someday will proly get her back. I agree with your remark.
0 Replies