Girl of Ten found living with Monkeys

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:56 pm
'cording to Boston's Globe

LUCKNOW, India — Indian police are reviewing reports of missing children to try to identify a girl who was found living in a forest with a group of monkeys.

The girl, believed to be 10 to 12 years old, was unable to speak, was wearing no clothes https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2017/04/06/girl-found-living-with-monkeys-indian-forest/WV7RDGKOmRloWH7t7faI1K/story.htmland was emaciated when she was discovered in January and taken to a hospital in Bahraich, a town in Uttar Pradesh state in northern India.

She behaved like an animal, running on her arms and legs and eating food off the floor with her mouth, said D.K. Singh, chief medical superintendent of the government-run hospital.

After treatment, she has begun walking normally and eating with her hands.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,088 • Replies: 11

dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 08:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed, wonder tho if it might not be one of them 'fake' stories so prevalent today
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 09:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
It could be fake, sounds to me like she was just monkeying around.
layman

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 09:36 pm
@Krumple,
That's not that unusual, really. I've known a lot of Babes that were just like that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 04:39 am
I am not sure how good the Boston Globe's reporting is supposed to be.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 05:09 am
I constantly post questionable stories because there usually are members of a2k who quickly ferret out the truth.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 07:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I am not sure how good the Boston Globe's reporting is supposed to be.

I don't think the story has any particular relationship to the Boston Globe. It has been widely reported in various news sources. I read about it in my local newspaper this morning.

This article also has pictures of the child, who has now been hospitalized for about two months and has shown some improvements during that time.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/04/07/a-girl-was-found-living-among-monkeys-in-an-indian-forest-how-she-got-there-is-a-mystery/?utm_term=.f0ad265622ac.

I don't see any reason to doubt the basic story--that the girl was found abandoned in a forest, in the company of monkeys, with little indication of how long she had been living that way.

It is not inconceivable that this child suffers from severe developmental disabilities and was possibly abused and abandoned by her parents for that reason. She might not have been in that forest for a very long period of time.

What makes you find the basic story questionable?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 10:21 am
@firefly,
These stories pop up from time to time, not always altogether true.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 10:51 am
@edgarblythe,
I find that most of my incredulity bone incidents get started via some blog. Bloggers are mostly lazy BS artists who go for superlatives, and outrageous conspiracies and alternative universe bases of facts
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 11:36 am
I have seen the article too in different papers.
Strangelz enough there are now and then the most strange stories from India about children.
This is what I saw in one paper:
Quote:
'She was wearing clothes but not very dirty, it looks like she was abandoned by her family.

If this is correct - it sounds as if she had been abandoned. But who knows.
At the same time it said she was more or less afraid of people. Then at the same time one could watch a video, where she is in a bed in a room crowded with
beds, people just standing and staring at her and talking loudly with oneanother.
Why did the doctors not put her into a room where she could be more protected from a pushing crowd?
It might be a retarded girl, who was abandoned by her family. Girls are not exactly very like in India.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 02:00 pm
I think the main reason they were publicizing this story now was part of an attempt to find her family or to see if anyone recognized this girl.

Whatever happened to this child, that finally culminated in her abandonment, likely involved a good deal of neglect and abuse, which would explain her fear of human contact and her lack of even basic primitive social interaction behaviors. She appears quite developmentally impaired, although there is no information indicating that they ever formally evaluated her at the hospital.

It's a sad situation.
0 Replies

DmitriyBronfman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 03:17 am
@edgarblythe,
It Turns Out That 'Mowgli Girl' Wasn't Raised By Monkeys, She Was Abandoned By Parents For Being Mentally Ill. It's horrible.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/girl-india-jungle-monkeys-mowgli-katarniaghat-uttar-pradesh-not-raised-by-officials-a7673806.html
0 Replies