How Long Do I Need to be Registered in the Republican Party to Vote in a Presidential Primary?

gollum

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 04:09 pm
I think during the 2016 Presidential Primaries, each State Republican party had its own requirement as to how long one needed to be registered as a Republican in order to vote in the primary.

Is there a website or otherwise that sets forth the requirement in each State?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 969 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
Is there a website or otherwise that sets forth the requirements in each state?

Voter Registration Deadlines: www.vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines/

Check with state or usually, county board of elections for more information.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 03:19 pm
Actually, the deadlines to register for a primary are different than the deadlines to register to vote in the election. In some states, an already registered voter who wants to switch his/her registration to a specific party has to do so well before a new voter would be able to register and join a party at the same time. For instance, a new voter in that state might register a week before Primary Day as a Republican and be able to vote in the Republican Primary, but a registered Democrat who wants to switch to the Republican Party might have to do that several weeks before the Primary.

Best bet is simply to call the number of the State Republican Party of the state you plan to move to, and ask them how to go about it.
gollum

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 05:54 am
@Blickers,
Blickers-

Thank you.

I live in New York State and my understanding is that to vote in a political party's primary, one needs to be registered in that party one year or more prior to the primary election.

I think (I'm not sure) that it depends on the rules of the particular State political party.

The reason for my question was that I wish to ascertain whether Trump did worse in the primaries of the States that require a relatively long membership in the party prior to voting in a primary election.
0 Replies