What does a TV series need to do or not do for you to give up watching it?

Lash

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 08:52 am
@tsarstepan,
I was thinking people with Aspberger's and similar syndromes that affect interpersonal interactions might be able to develop coping mechanisms, but I'm not sure how successful they are--& if that's a daily battle, if you wake up at square one every day and experience varying levels of success, like Groundhog Day-- or if some people remain completely clueless about what others consider 'correct.'

Eh. All that about Sheldon Cooper. What is he, 50 now? Heh.
snood

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:05 am
I think Sheldon showed some evolution when he admitted howmuch Amy meant to him, told her he loved her, went to bed with her, etc. But I understand about frustration at how limited he is, and the show is. I can't believe I've watched the whole damn series.

Walking Dead had really pissed me off the last two seasons. Making you wait 6 or 8 months for the second half of a season - having several episodes of pure oppression and abuse by Negan and the Saviors. This last "finale" show really soured things by dragging out melodramatic scenes... I was very enthusiastic for about 4 and a half seasons, but not much excitement there anymore.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:11 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Quote:
According to the Episode The Intimacy Acceleration Sheldon Cooper was born on February 26th. According to the TBBT Wiki he was born in 1980. So Sheldon Cooper is 35 years, 2 month and 8 days old as of May 4th, 2015.

So? 37ish? But by Grumpy Cat years? He's 75ish.

Whereas the actor is 44.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:16 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Walking Dead had really pissed me off the last two seasons. Making you wait 6 or 8 months for the second half of a season - having several episodes of pure oppression and abuse by Negan and the Saviors.

I completely stalled out at the beginning of season 6 because I've learned about the Negan criticisms of the latest episodes/ seasons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:47 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I was thinking people with Aspberger's and similar syndromes that affect interpersonal interactions might be able to develop coping mechanisms, but I'm not sure how successful they are--& if that's a daily battle, if you wake up at square one every day and experience varying levels of success, like Groundhog Day-- or if some people remain completely clueless about what others consider 'correct.'

Not diagnosed, left on your own, it depends on the individual and their history, if they learn to cope. Sheldon is at a different spot on the spectrum than I, and I don't watch it enough to develop a theory. In my case, I was in my fifties before I could react and converse in a near normal way. It was so simplistic at first, that even people who liked me kept it short, out of boredom. Over twenty years working a job that forced me and the customers to interact was my therapy. I didn't even realize it was Asperger's until late in the writing of a novella that involved autobiographical content. By then I had celebrated my 70th birthday and a bit more.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 10:12 am
@snood,
That whole Negan storyline pissed me off as well. When the previous season ended I was furious over the brutality (kind of laughable because it's a show about fleah eating zombies and folks who are constantly chopping off heads or running an object thru the zombies head)....but it was more than the brutality (I guess) it was also the fear on Rick's face.

I was never patient enough to watch shows like 'Dallas' they annoy the hell out of me. Weren't there a few spinoffs from 'Dallas'? Couldn't watch them either. However, when there is nothing but pap on TV, (reality shows, 2 broke girls, etc) I look for old episodes of "Law and Order".....the wriitng holds up really well plus I love watching Sam Waterston's performance as the DA.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 10:44 am
@glitterbag,
It is following, (kind of) the storyline arc of the comics. Negan is a pretty central villain in that. I saw the first series, read the comics and now am waiting to see how things turn out.

Both Abraham and Glenn are killed in the comics, but Abraham is shot in the head earlier on. Glenn dies the same way though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:02 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Lash wrote:

Not diagnosed, left on your own, it depends on the individual and their history, if they learn to cope. Sheldon is at a different spot on the spectrum than I, and I don't watch it enough to develop a theory. In my case, I was in my fifties before I could react and converse in a near normal way. It was so simplistic at first, that even people who liked me kept it short, out of boredom. Over twenty years working a job that forced me and the customers to interact was my therapy. I didn't even realize it was Asperger's until late in the writing of a novella that involved autobiographical content. By then I had celebrated my 70th birthday and a bit more.

Commonly, persons with Aspergers act mostly "normal" in family surroundings. If they are with you long enough, they can speak and react. Sheldon doesn't do that.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:37 am
@edgarblythe,
I watched that show for several years, but I don't recall Asperger's ever being mentioned. If that's a major theme of the show, then they are hiding it very well. Are we supposed to guess that Sheldon has Asperger's? Also the actor playing Sheldon is obviously gay--swishingly so--, so why don't they have Sheldon in a gay relationship? I don't care if gays are playing straights or straights are playing gays if they can pull it off reasonably well , but come on, would you believe Charles Bronson playing a gay person, or
Richard Simmons or Nathan Lane playing a macho straight role?
One's credulity can only be pushed so far.
snood

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:48 am
What's all this talk about Sheldon having Aspergers? Someone's pet theory? It's never been mentioned or alluded to on the show.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:50 am
@coluber2001,
It's not a veiled secret that Sheldon Cooper is autistic, though I'm not sure if they openly expressed that as a literal diagnosis for the character.

From...
Is Sheldon autistic? The Big Bang Theory actress Mayim Bialik gives this brilliant response

To...
Reader mail: Does Sheldon from 'Big Bang Theory' have Asperger's?
Quote:
[co-creator] Prady has been asked about this a lot, and the short version is that, while Sheldon's personality - which was based on computer programmers Prady worked with years ago, well before Asperger's (a form of autism) was as common a diagnosis as it is today - certainly has traits in common with people with Asperger's, he would feel uncomfortable labeling Sheldon as such.

In the writers' minds, calling it Asperger's creates too much of a burden to get the details right. There's also the danger that the other characters' insults about Sheldon's behavior - in other words, 90 percent of the show's comedy - would seem mean if they were mocking a medical condition as opposed to generic eccentricity. In general, it's more responsibility than they feel a relatively light comedy can handle.

To...
Why Our Autism Community Loves Sheldon Cooper
Quote:
Although the Big Bang Theory states that Sheldon is not on the autism spectrum, Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon on the show, has mentioned in several interviews how his character seems to exhibit some Asperger-like characteristics. Parsons isn’t the only person who has suggested that certain scientific minds show characteristics of Aspergers...

Take it all with a grain of salt.
Lash

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:34 pm
I noticed what I considered to be markers of an Aspberger's personality. This article fleshes them out for people without mental health training or personal knowledge.

http://fromacloud.us/the-big-aspie-theory-top-5-reasons-sheldon-cooper-likely-has-aspergers/

It really worked well with his character and on the show re subject matter - brilliant nerds, I thought. Of course, a stereotype...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:51 pm
I love Mayim's answer.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:53 pm
@snood,
Aspergers as imagined by people who don't have it, eagerly lapped up both those who don't have a clue. I've never been able to stomach more than a couple of minutes before turning over.

Just to give balance, this American comedy is brilliant though.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Bialik acted like deGrasse Tyson was suggesting Sheldon should be medicated. Seemed needlessly defensive. Curious.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:24 pm
Mayim Bialek was saying that they tried to avoid labeling their characters with one specific condition because one of the overall "messages" (for lack of better words) of the show was that "different" people could be healthy and productive and have lives with relationships and careers and humor. She agreed that all of the characters have characteristics that could rightfully be said to resemble some psychological label like OCD or Asbergers. I didn't find her as being defensive at all. The contrary.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 05:12 pm
So it wasn't written that Sheldon is Autistic or has Asperger's Syndrome, and in other words he's just an asshole like Archie Bunker and Hyacinth Bucket--she insisted it was pronouncedt "Bouquet".
snood

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 05:14 pm
@coluber2001,
Yup, aspergers or asshole. Them's your only choices.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 05:23 pm
Sheldon's problem is he's too danged smart for his own good. That and he lacks any social skills, which seems to stem from being raised by his Bible thumping maw down in east Texas where he was so intelligent that he graduated college before he was born (or something like that) so he never interacted with people his own age.

From what I've seen of the show, all the male leads are super smart and tend to wave it around at others and I wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator or on a desert island with any of them!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 05:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Sheldon seems like all the guys I shared apartments with when I was in university. Smart as all get out but a bit behind on the social development side - too much time focusing on school when they were little humans. Some caught up, some didn't. Some caught up beyond brilliantly.
0 Replies