Who are the greatest heroes in your lifetime?

chai2

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:02 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Chai: I'm not really familiar with dean Kamen. Could you elaborate?

He's an inventor. Most specifically of a health care nature.

Unfortunately, I mean really unfortunately, the first thing the general public will remember he invented was the Segway. I'm not even going to go there. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

Among his lifesaving/life enhancing inventions are:

The Slingshot -
http://www.popsci.com/article/science/pure-genius-how-dean-kamens-invention-could-bring-clean-water-millions#page-2<br />

BTW, I love this quote of his from the above link "We’d empty half the hospital beds in the world if we just gave people clean water."

The iBot -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBOT

The first wearable insulin pump for diabetics

A peritoneal dialysis machine that can be used at home. This allows dialysis patients to travel to places where hemodialysis centers aren't located, among other this. Peritoneal dialysis is also better on the system, as it's a slow process over a longer period of time.

and many others....

He's a really good man.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:25 pm
Pft, real heroes... that's no fun...

In no particular order, people that have had an influence on me that I would consider to be heroes

Leonardo da Vinci - I am pretty sure he is from the future and traveled back to the renaissance. No one should be that great at everything they did. Just an amazing, amazing person.

Siddhartha Gautama - Shaped my beliefs and expanded my life in so many ways.

George Washington - A model of humility and bravado mixed into one of the greatest people ever. Just truly a great person.

Isaac Newton - Another one out of time. Laid the foundations of modern science with yarn and horse hair.

Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm
@coluber2001,
Odd how no one mentioned Trump.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:33 pm
@McGentrix,
hmm, you didnt sound like you were a day older than 150
McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:42 pm
@farmerman,
ugh, is that what we are supposed to do?

Are there any heroes today?

Stephen Hawking, he's done some stuff... Carl Sagan inspired me to get into science... His Holiness the Dalai Lama is a true inspiration, The Reverend Ray Roberts (not the guy on the internet, a great Man in my life though.),
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:40 pm
@McGentrix,
I thought about adding Washington. Good call on Buddha, too.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:14 pm
@farmerman,
I've been trying to post a picture of the Solidarnosc symbol. I can't begin to tell what memories that brings back. Twelve on twelve off for 27 days with no days off until I was punchy.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:48 pm
Jonas Salk, who refused to patent his vaccine.
MLK, for sure.
FDR, who instigated the New Deal and Social Security. Sure, he had some bad points, as who does not?
Several novelists.
Bernie Sanders
There are a number of others, whose names escape me at this time.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 03:03 am
Hugh Thompson, hero of My Lai
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 04:34 am
@glitterbag,
Id love to hear what youre speaking about. Maybe this will stir up even more memories

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.mGPFihD5li_9ihUPk3SYRAEsDY&w=139&h=100&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.75&pid=3.1&rm=2
coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 11:55 am
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/files/2012/10/files-6.kvvmku.ru.jpg

Vasili Arkhipov and his wife Olga. Col. Arkhipov was the commander of 4 diesel-battery submarines, and aboard the submarine B-59, which was intercepted by U.S. ships during the Cuban missile crisis.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 12:00 pm
@farmerman,
Wow!!!! I'll have to send you a pm.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 12:45 pm
@coluber2001,
Can you give me a hint, or are you going with that old "He saved the world from nuclear conflict" thing when Soviet subs were hiding off the coast of the US?
coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 12:50 pm
@coluber2001,
Col. Vasili Arkhipov, aboard B-59 a diesel/battery submarine intercepted by U.S. ships during the Cuban missile crisis and subjected to hours of attack with practice depth charges, vetoed a joint decision by the captain and the political adviser to send its "special weapon," a nuclear=tipped torpedo into the hull of a U.S. aircraft carrier, possibly causing a nuclear war.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/27/vasili-arkhipov-stopped-nuclear-wa

The incident is revealed here in a PBS episode "The Man Who Saved the World" part of a long-running series, "Secrets of the Dead."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Secrets-of-the-Dead-The-Man-Who-Saved-the-World-New-DVD-Ships-Fast-/292034825269?hash=item43fea1cc35:m:mL325wgibJWeDItaGb6F6oQ

In the aforementioned program, it was mentioned that Arckhpov had previously served on a Russian nuclear-powered submarine, had been exposed to radiation from the reactor core malfunction and had averted a mutiny. Just recently I saw the movie on broadcast TV about the incident--"K-19 the Widowmaker." It was a very dramatic--probably overly dramatic--version of the incident with Harrison Ford as the Captain and Liam Neeson as the second in command Col. Arkhipov (both had different names in the movie). The movie was spellbinding but apparently took great liberties, after all it's Hollywood. The reactor core had a near meltdown, which may have ignited the nuclear missiles on board.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267626/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 12:56 pm
@glitterbag,
If you haven't seen the PBS program "The Man Who Saved the World" program, do so; it'll scare the crap out of you. Nobody knew about this incident until Arkhipov's memoirs were released after his death.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 01:15 pm
@coluber2001,
I was in elementary school during the Cuban Missile crisis, so I remember keenly how frightening that time period was. My father had already served in Europe during WWII, and the adults alive at that time knew what war was all about. The schools and our teachers began to prep us that our Dad's might be called up and possibly never return , that caught our attention all right. We knew what mushroom clouds looked like, and its safe to say we were scared shitless in 1961. So, pardon me for not seeing Vasili as the savior of the world, just more like a man who could have pushed the button, and made a decision not to.
chai2

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 01:16 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Hugh Thompson, hero of My Lai

Wow. I have to agree.

I had to look him up. It gave me a chill.
chai2

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 01:18 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

a man who could have pushed the button, and made a decision not to.

But that's the thing. He made the decision not to.

He seems like a hero to me.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 01:25 pm
@chai2,
And adding to this, Tom Laughlin, who, in his The Trial of Billy Jack movie, brought the Mai Lai horrors forward vividly to a he group of people, who some six years prior had been too young to fully comprehend what had happened. Through the enduring legacy of film, since schools are often spotty on history teaching, especially if it betrays the alleged saintliness of one's country, Laughlin's mention of Mai Lai, assures future generations will be told the truth as well.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 02:29 pm
Has there ever been a hero so grand as to deserve this music, even Siegfried?

Klaus Tenstedt conducts the London Philharmonic in Wagner's "Siegfried's Death and Funeral March". Watch for time 5:50 as Tenstedt knocks over the music stand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us3NFFJhFPg
0 Replies