Have You Used A Thesaurus Recently?

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
I use mine every so often because I'm a lousy, rotten speller. When "Spell Check" can't cope, and a dictionary won't work, I have to creep up on the problem.

Do you use your thesaurus? Is it gathering dust? Did you donate it to a book sale?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,216 • Replies: 43
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:01 pm
I use it rarely. But it looks nice next to the American Heritage Dictionary and The Dictionary of Modern American Usage.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:03 pm
very rarely...maybe once or twice a year
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:06 pm
naw... i wish i had a dinosuar though... they are really cool :-D
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:23 pm
I use an online thesaurus ( www.thesaurus.com ) occasionally when needing inspiration.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:26 pm
No. I never thought of it as useful for sneaking up on a spelling problem.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:29 pm
I use the thesaurus all the time; not the hard book copy, but the one attached to my Microsoft Word.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:31 pm
I use mine as a paperweight when the fan is on
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:36 pm
I love thesaurii.

I use anonline one - plus the visual one Little k posted about somewhere...it is a delight!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:46 pm
I was looking for synonym for thesaurus
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:49 pm
I use mine constantly. In the construction of a work of fiction it is important to vary word usage as much as possible. Mine is Roget's Fourth Edition.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:53 pm
I always use Thesaurus.com. I love words!

Is that weird?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
I use the one attached to Merriam Webster online. Love 'em.
I've always liked reading dictionaries, and thesaurii, and other reference materials. Life as a dweeb. It's good. Cool
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:48 pm
This reminds me of the interview I heard with George Carlin today on NPR. They asked him about his love for words, and he said he is one of those people who, when they go to look up a word in the dictionary, ends up getting distracted by some other word and it takes him forever to look up the word he wanted in the first place.

Sounds like we have a few of those people here too.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:52 pm
he was very entertaining on the actor's studio last night...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:10 pm
My cousins and I were both raised in dictionary houses...
both had giant onionskin paged Webster's dictionaries in the living room. I've been a lifetime obsessive reader, and was a 4-year latin student, which is to explain that I have a lot of words at hand in my mind, swimming about, paddling towards a sentence to land in. I tend to make up words or adapt words and sounds to alternative usage, on purpose, to add to the mix. Once in a while I rope some of them into a coherent sentence.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
Seed wrote:
naw... i wish i had a dinosuar though... they are really cool :-D

made me laugh, seed..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:16 pm
I had better command of the language in a younger day. Now I must constantly consult dictionaries and the Thesaurus or make some really dumb mistakes.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:26 pm
glad I made someone laugh Osso... makes me feel good Smile. but an honest answer to the question... i used to use it more, especially when i was in college... but now not so much
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:40 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I use the one attached to Merriam Webster online. Love 'em.
I've always liked reading dictionaries, and thesaurii, and other reference materials. Life as a dweeb. It's good. Cool

<nodding>

Sometimes I just pull out the OED and my magnifying lens and GO TO TOWN! I use whichever thesaurus is handy when I need one, usually to remember a word, sometimes to check on a nuance. I also collect Barlett's Quotations editions so I can compare what was once considered valuable and no longer is. Big fun.

Like George Carlin, I sometimes get so intent on the next entry that I forget why I went there in the first place. <shrug> Is this a problem?

I love the idea of creeping up on a word, Noddy. I know what you mean -- sneaky little devils.
0 Replies