Is this a meteorite? If not what type of rock is it?

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 10:52 am
A few years ago i found this rock in a field on Salisbury Plain while on a walk and i've been meaning to find out more about it ever since but have only just got round to doing so! It caught my attention due to its odd shape, extreme density and curious colouring. At its widest point it measures in at 65mm and it weighs 348g. As you can see from the pictures, it's got a very strange cube-like, "noduly" shape and the colours range from golden/ambery yellow to red and then to black. I have absolutely no idea what type of rock it is but i was wondering if it may be a meteorite? If it's not then im still curious as to what it is and any further information about it!
For images follow the link.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlCpRT5jh8l6uBaA0JmDrwcOX1ls

Blickers

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 12:03 pm
@Redrock456,
The link as written above does not seem to work. The following link does, for some reason:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AIDQmYOvBw5fWWw&id=7AC987633E45A950%217190&cid=7AC987633E45A950
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 12:11 pm
@Blickers,
God Lord Mercy Blick, thanks for them ! How I wish as a rockhound some 46 years I had studied a bit, like you and Man and Eng

By the way whatever happened to the last
0 Replies

Redrock456

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 03:50 pm
@Blickers,
Great! thanks:)
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 03:52 pm
@Redrock456,
Ditto Blick
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 06:05 pm
@Redrock456,
Im a professional geologist and Im always fooled by "meteorwrongs". Its damn difficult to id them from photos. Contact this guy at ST Louis U, hes the best there is in the study of bolide geology.

CONTACT RANDY KOROTEV
farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
After looking a little closer at the specimens blown up everal times , there are actul CRYSTLS of what appears to be a cubic metallic form. Id guess that its an iron ore like Magnetite which often has this kind of crystal structure. Mteorites dont. And the reddish coating is a bit bright for a fusion ring
Redrock456

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
well i did think it could contain iron so i tested it with a few magnets but none of them had a noticeable attraction (i dont know if i should expect a magnetic attraction any way Razz )
Krumple

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 05:06 pm
@Redrock456,
Redrock456 wrote:

A few years ago i found this rock in a field on Salisbury Plain while on a walk and i've been meaning to find out more about it ever since but have only just got round to doing so! It caught my attention due to its odd shape, extreme density and curious colouring. At its widest point it measures in at 65mm and it weighs 348g. As you can see from the pictures, it's got a very strange cube-like, "noduly" shape and the colours range from golden/ambery yellow to red and then to black. I have absolutely no idea what type of rock it is but i was wondering if it may be a meteorite? If it's not then im still curious as to what it is and any further information about it!
For images follow the link.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlCpRT5jh8l6uBaA0JmDrwcOX1ls

Hand it to a Muslim, if they start worshipping it, then you know it's a meteorite.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 04:45 am
@Redrock456,
except for stuff lik chondrites or pallisites, all meteorites should be magnetic with that "all over" fusion layer that indicates its been tooling around in space and then entering our atmosphere.

That "travel itinerary" often makes some funky blackened raction surfaces and shapes. Yours demonstrates a "crystalline habit". Thats NOT a mteoritic habit. Since its not iron-rich, those crytals need to be analyzed as to mineral content. Salisbury had depoits of tin that was used to make the ancient "Doggerland" , a point of trade during the metal ages. It may be something like cassiterite but it need a close in look by a uni geology student who can pop it under a mike or better, an Energy dispersive Xray . This can easily be looked at and not sacrifice any part. I dont like to damage any obvious crystal faces on a sample
Redrock456

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 04:19 pm
@farmerman,
Ok, well having done a it more research i'm convinced that it isnt a meteorite but i will be heading back to uni 2 weeks time so ill see if i can get it tested then!
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 07:52 pm
@Redrock456,
yep, thats the ticket. dont stop till you find out what it is. Let mw know because the xl are curious forms and, if its cassiterite, you could be near some bronze age digs
Redrock456

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 04:07 am
@farmerman,
How exciting! ill let you know Smile
0 Replies